Hrm strap issues please help

gaz047
gaz047 Posts: 601
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi, I'm having major issues getting accurate heart rate readings :twisted: If anyone has any suggestions, or has had similar issues before I'm all ears
The unit is the garmin forerunner 910xt and I was using the garmin soft strap and whilst running it would always read low within a couple of miles (ie 100 bpm whilst putting in a lot of effort). Whilst cycling it was more reliable but would sometimes get over 200bpm whilst going easy (sometimes whilst warming up!). I always wet the sensors before each use and had tried new batteries.
The garmin strap ended up in the bin in the end and I opted for a cateye (as they are ant+) and am getting the same problems.
This is really doing my head in now. If anyone has any ideas of how to get this thing working right, or can recommend a hr strap that may be more reliable, I would be really grateful...
Many thanks for any ideas
Gaz

Ps I heard the polar ones are compatible, anyone use one?
if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
Stick your 'rules' up your a%se

Comments

• There have been numerous reported problems with the Garmin premium hr strap, which I guess is what you're referring to by the soft strap. When mine started playing up I replaced it with the Garmin hard hr strap and haven't had a problem since.
  • I replaced mine with a Polar strap and never looked back.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Had same problem.

Garmin replaced it with the new design soft strap (light grey strap) and mine's been OK for 6 months now.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Do you use a base layer under your jersey? I used to find my jersey flapping about would cause impossibly high readings for some reason, often on descents when I wasn't even pedalling, but since I started using base layers I've not had a problem.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Had same problem.

Garmin replaced it with the new design soft strap (light grey strap) and mine's been OK for 6 months now.

What this says - although I never had any issues with my all black soft strap.

There is a new garmin HRM that does cadence and a load of other jazz coming out apparently.
    Insert bike here:
  • gaz047
    Thankyou very much for your replies
    Billy- I used to have the plastic one and found that fine, unfortunately it was sold with my old 705. You'd think newer versions would be better, rather than worse! I may have to go back to the plastic one if all else fails.
    Charlie - did you just get the polar strap or the polar transmitter too?
    Bernie and Mpatts - I've not seen the grey one yet, I'll have a look and see if you can get them in the shops.
    Jack - yeah I usually have a base layer on when riding, but when running mainly have one layer. I'll try a run with 2 layers over next few days.
    Just got new battery's for the cateye. I'll give it another try and if it still won't play, go for polar or the grey garmin.
    Thanks again for your replies
    Gaz
  • gaz047 wrote:
    Charlie - did you just get the polar strap or the polar transmitter too?

I just bought the strap. The Garmin transmitter fits perfect after peening the studs slightly.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I've got the same problem with my Garmin HRM. I've changed batteries, updated software, wetted the contacts on the strap, ditched the Garmin soft strap in favour of the Polar one, tried the putting the battery in backwards trick. Still the same problem, most of the time very high readings, even if I'm sitting still with no synthetic top on. Its coming up to three years old and worked perfectly up until about a month ago, so probably out of any guarantee.

Have I missed any tricks? If not, anyone recommend a cheaper ant+ alternative than a new Garmin one.
  • My Garmin HRM strap/transmitter played up a while back, giving erroneous readings then stopping working altogether. I reset and re-paired the unit with my Edge 500 several times, fitted a new battery, then after all this failed bought a Polar strap into which the Garmin transmitter clicked, as the press-studs are identical in size and spacing. This, alas, didn't fix it either.

After much further internet forum reading I came across the idea that sounds a bit crazy (as mentioned by Term1te above) but it worked for mine. The suggested solution was to take out the battery, refit it in reverse (ie wrong polarity), leave it a few seconds, then remove again and refit correctly. To my surprise, this fixed the problem.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Garmin strap is rubbish - mine died after 6 months. Replaced with a Polar soft strap, never had any trouble
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    Another Polar soft strap swap here. On windy days with a looser top I still get highs early on from static caused by flapping. Wetting the base layer well over the strap contacts (as well as under it) solves that problem :)
  • gaz047
    Cheers for all the replies. Seems I'm not alone on this one!
    I've fitted the new battery into the cateye transmitter and paired it to the garmin ok. I'm working nights at the mo so will give it a try over the next few days once I stop looking like an extra from the walking dead. I'll let you know how it goes, fingers crossed. Is it worth trying any gels like they use for ultrasound (not sure of the proper name)?
    Thanks again
    Gaz
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Never owned a HRM so when I bought one a few weeks ago i went straight for a Garmin transmitter on its own and a Polar strap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110840658227? ... 522wt_1225
    Cheers, Stu