Has the bubble burst?

markyone
markyone Posts: 1,119
edited October 2013 in The cake stop
Has the Manchester united bubble burst after years of domination?
Maybe Manchester city are on the slide as well.
Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
Pinarello F8 with sram etap

Comments

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Who cares?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Very unlikely , just takes a new manager a while to settle in at a huge club replacing such a successful long term manager.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Who cares?
    Pfft, only because there was no local cheese info from the OP
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    Can't see them winning the league this season but I'd imagine they'll give Moyes longer than most big clubs give managers to settle in and stamp his style on the team.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Football goes in cycles and I think there time is up :D
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    No, it's fine :D

car2.jpg
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Hopefully the football bubble has burst...
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Mikey23 wrote:

You could always turn off the TV.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Mikey23 wrote:

Thats something you DONT want

Its like when the banks were in trouble and people suggested letting them go and not bail them out, the end result of that would have been catastrophic, far worse than what ended up happening.

Football has got to a point (I don't like it) that it is not only a business but a way of life, if the money was to fall out of it there would be huge problems arising from the fallout.
    Living MY dream.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I guess the premiership must be a net benefit to the UK economy!?
    A lot of overseas money coming into the UK. A bit probably leaves the country with so many overseas players but they don't earn much, do they?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    VTech wrote:

Its like when the banks were in trouble and people suggested letting them go and not bail them out, the end result of that would have been catastrophic, far worse than what ended up happening.

Football has got to a point (I don't like it) that it is not only a business but a way of life, if the money was to fall out of it there would be huge problems arising from the fallout.

^^This, the city I live in has deteriorated from having a thriving and attractive city centre that people wanted to visit since the local clubs disappeared from the top tier of football, whereas others with top tier teams of a similar size etc have continued to thrive. I know that this is not fully due to the football aspect but that brought with it the drops in revenues from visitors etc which has spoiled this city IMO.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @ huge problems... What might they be then? Social unrest? Rioting on the streets? Collapse of the uk economy?

It might actually encourage some folks to get a little proportion in their lives which surely can't be a bad thing
  • I don't give a toss really.

Twenty odd years ago A.F. was a Mark Robiins winner at Forest away from the boot, he went on to create an all conquering football team. The Mancs need to recall that, Manure won't get relegated this season (unfortunately) Let Moyes feel his way in and take it from there. However footie (premiershit in particular) being what it is won't allow such latitude.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Has the Man Utd bubble burst? Possibly, if you take a look at some stats.

Last Five Prem games
    Chelsea:WDLWD
    Liverpool: WWDLW
    Arsenal: WWWWW
    Tottenham: WLWWD
    Man City: LWWWL
    Man United: LMFAO
  • seanoconn
    Has the Man Utd bubble burst? Possibly, if you take a look at some stats.

Last Five Prem games
    Chelsea:WDLWD
    Liverpool: WWDLW
    Arsenal: WWWWW
    Tottenham: WLWWD
    Man City: LWWWL
    Man United: LMFAO
    :lol:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Whilst i'd love to diss Manchester United, there are some glaring issues.

The current MU squad was honed out of the AF style. Built by him. Carved by him. Anyone stepping into his boots was never going to have an easy time.
    I just wonder if the Mu fans will recall when AF was a game away from being sacked after an awful start.

Is it possible that the spending spree by Tottenham and Man City was on the back of the fact that AF was no longer at the helm at MU ?
    Does the spending by certain clubs set the benchmark for other teams to follow and do fans become expectant that their clubs need to follow suit in the same style to compete ?
    That sets a precedent that only a few clubs can sustain and I am sure that there is going to be big casualties in the not too distant future.
    The current casualty that is omnipresent, is the domestic scene. Whilst the premier league thrives on big names, huge revenue and sky rocketing Football Clubs United Plc shares, it presents little or no motivation to invest in a coherent, non-voluntarist youth system*, funded by the (very rich) FA.

*Our youth systems are entirely by the volition of individual clubs - there is no national structure. There is no financial support for smaller clubs to invest in young players and there is no safety net such as mandatory minimum fee release clauses and protected youth contracts to motivate grass root development. There is no requirement for blanket quality coaching at youth level whilst the premier league is in its current state.

We may laugh at MU's current predicament (and I do) but the demise of 'British' Football because of the premier league and its financial effect is one to mourn.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    @ huge problems... What might they be then? Social unrest? Rioting on the streets? Collapse of the uk economy?

Ha come on the devastation to the economy in Cheshire alone would be crippling :D

ekl6.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Happy Gooner though.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    diamonddog wrote:
    VTech wrote:

^^This, the city I live in has deteriorated from having a thriving and attractive city centre that people wanted to visit since the local clubs disappeared from the top tier of football, whereas others with top tier teams of a similar size etc have continued to thrive. I know that this is not fully due to the football aspect but that brought with it the drops in revenues from visitors etc which has spoiled this city IMO.

Devastatingly true statement there.
    The problem is, governments in their wisdom promote areas that they think with gain the most in terms of income and popularity so following a regenerating in areas where there is huge media interest is something they have done for years. If your from a town where jobs are cut and teams fail you can bet your less likely to get funding for regeneration along the same lines as london and manchester etc.

Im not saying its fair, its just reality.
    Living MY dream.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I don't give a toss really.

Twenty odd years ago A.F. was a Mark Robiins winner at Forest away from the boot, he went on to create an all conquering football team. The Mancs need to recall that, Manure won't get relegated this season (unfortunately) Let Moyes feel his way in and take it from there. However footie (premiershit in particular) being what it is won't allow such latitude.
    Me neither, but the difference then was that Utd were still trying to find a manager to guide them back to the top, after years of indifferent achievement. There wasn't much to lose by sticking with AF at the time. I believe the story that he was a game away from the boot has long been dissed by the faithful, but it's a good one one anyway. And in the late 80s clubs were keen to do well but it wasn't vital to their whole business model to qualify for the CL (EC then obviously) and to be on tv every weekend etc. The pressure now to succeed is enormous, so fun though it is to rub the fans' noses in it and enjoy seeing how they cope with what the rest of us deem to be success (i.e actually in the PL, and not even bottom) and to point & laugh at their demands for Moyles Out when for years the mantra was 'this is what you get if you stick with the manager through thick & thin', I can't see Moyes getting the same flexibility that AF was given.

It's fun though. :)
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    I did laugh at a txt sent in to the BBC yesterday when Everton were still unbeaten and 3-0 up at half time lastnight. It said 'Who'd have thought that during all these years David Moyes was actually holding Everton back!'

In truth I think Moyes was dealt bit of a hospital pass in terms of his squad, it may have won the league last year but thas was as much down to Ferguson being able to wring every last bit out of it and mis-management at Man City and Chelsea, they both had better squads then and do now imo. I'd also go as far as to suggest Spurs possibly have a better squad now than Man Utd with their dealings on the back of the Bale money. Suddenly the PL is slightly interesting again.
  • yeah there fooked, despite the media creaming there pants about this albanian.

ol'red nose wil be back in the new year...mark my words.

i also predict the scum bubble to burst when people realise u just do a fat sam job on them and the moneys they have spunked up the wall is on overpriced not top level slightly above averagness. without monkey boy they have no one who can get them out of sticky situations and win games from knowhere.

likewise once the god that the french lee chapman gets injured we are fooked too.

city and chelski, should walk it, i cannot see that arrogant massive headed taff's lot keeping it up either
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    How can anyone say the bubble has burst? After all they won the relegation 6 pointer at the weekend ;-)
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228

i cannot see that arrogant massive headed taff's lot keeping it up either

Who's that then?
  • how many arrogant massive headed taffs are there managing in the PL?

(now before anyone take offence taff isn't racist, its in dads army innit and that cant be racist as its too wholesome and its on the beeb)
  • cornerblock
    how many arrogant massive headed taffs are there managing in the PL?

Well Mark Hughes is the only 'taff' I know of managing in the PL. What you don't think Stoke will keep up the lofty position of 16th, or would you like more time to think?
  • boy is my face red, i always thought he was a taff. in my defence i try not to watch his interviews and had to turn off that goddawful documentary on him so have never truly picked up his accent.

he still has a massive head.
  • cornerblock
    :) I did know who you meant. Maybe it's his time at Swansea that made you think of him as Welsh? Anyway I agree, they won't last and will have to wait yet another season to add a title to that famous history of theirs that they are always banging on about. I can't listen to him either, he reminds me of David Brent with some of the nonsense he spouts.
  • pinno
    Rubbing my hands with Hughes at Stoke, then he will have managed to get almost every team he has been in charge of relegated. He was good at Blackburn but pretty sh1te anywhere else.

Come on the Gunners.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Rubbing my hands with Hughes at Stoke, then he will have managed to get almost every team he has been in charge of relegated. He was good at Blackburn but pretty sh1te anywhere else.

Come on the Gunners.

Hmm, He's managed the following:

1999–2004 Wales
    2004–2008 Blackburn Rovers
    2008–2009 Manchester City
    2010–2011 Fulham
    2012 Queens Park Rangers
    2013– Stoke City

Well, Wales were not relegated - obviously

Blackburn were not relegated under him

Manchester City were not relegated under him

Fulham were not relegated under him

QPR were not relegated under him. He only managed them for the first 12 out of the 38 games in the season. They were relegated under Harry "the tax dodger" Redknapp

So out of the 4 club sides he has managed a total of 0 were relegated under him.

That backs up your statement that " he will have managed to get nearly every team he has managed relegated"

Please don't let facts get in the way of blind hatred of him
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • pinno
    spen666 wrote:

Come on the Gunners.

Hmm, He's managed the following:

1999–2004 Wales
    2004–2008 Blackburn Rovers
    2008–2009 Manchester City
    2010–2011 Fulham
    2012 Queens Park Rangers
    2013– Stoke City

Well, Wales were not relegated - obviously

Blackburn were not relegated under him

Manchester City were not relegated under him

Fulham were not relegated under him

QPR were not relegated under him. He only managed them for the first 12 out of the 38 games in the season. They were relegated under Harry "the tax dodger" Redknapp

So out of the 4 club sides he has managed a total of 0 were relegated under him.

That backs up your statement that " he will have managed to get nearly every team he has managed relegated"

Please don't let facts get in the way of blind hatred of him

WTF did I say that suggested that I had 'blind hatred' of Hughes?
    Point taken about the stats - but it underlines the lack of any real achievement.

PS You seem to be very knowledgable about Mr Hughes, have you taken a bit of a shiner towards him :wink: