Titanium Options

s2_dpd
s2_dpd Posts: 46
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking into a titanium frame bike for my next purchase, mainly looking at second hand at the present, however the Lynskey silver series looks interesting.

Anyone got a Breakaway or a Peleton, and views compared against their other frames, or usual suspects?

thanks
David

Comments

• ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    usual suspects i expect, i have an enigma echo which is fab, guess it tends to be what you want too, as i think i am now saving for an enigma equinox frame to rebuild the bike on for next year...might want to buy it all shiney etc but time and price will tell, especially as i want some cosmics too lol

on another note i think all lynskey frames are nice, i knwo someone with a sportive frame and raves about it.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    I have just built a Van Nicholas Ventus. I love the way the bike performs and handles.
    I bought it as I was finding my CAAD10 a bit too harsh over longer distances. I could have bought a Carbon Fibre frame with the same characteristics cheaper, but the Ti looks just got to me.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I think it's very hard to see past Enigma. I've been looking at them for the past few months and
    I'm unable to make my mind up on which model...the sad thing is I've got the cash waiting....

I'm going to go down to the cycle show at the NEC and have a good look, this may help.
  • Personally, I didn't want to go the usual suspects (Van Nic/Enigma) route, so I bought a Spin Spitfire MkIII. Absolutely love it. Can't imagine there are many secondhand ones around, though.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    That sounds interesting, any chance of a picture ?
  • Well if you insist :)

_DSC0282.JPG

Spin+on+the+Alpe.jpg
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Be aware that Lynkseys don't have a transferable frame warranty, they'll only honour warranties with the original purchaser. There are a couple of posts from owners on here with cracked seat stays. I was very close to getting a Lynksey Sportive frame 2nd hand but decided not to risk it given the still significant cost....

Hired a Van Nic Euros and a Mistral in Mallorca last month and liked them (both now replaced in the VN range by the Ventus, so some 2nd hand examples should be around).
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • ianbar
    think you will fine 2nd hand vn about reasonably easy. love that spin spitfire though!
    enigma esprit
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    peteco wrote:
    I have just built a Van Nicholas Ventus. I love the way the bike performs and handles.
    I bought it as I was finding my CAAD10 a bit too harsh over longer distances. I could have bought a Carbon Fibre frame with the same characteristics cheaper, but the Ti looks just got to me.

And here it is:

IMG_1070_zpse5625096.jpg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    tomisitt wrote:
    Well if you insist :)

_DSC0282.JPG

You are a triathlete and can't help yourself or you have the proportions of a gibbon?

I hope you didn't pay for a bike fit? :wink:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Heh! Not a triathlete (Rule #42), just long arms and legs, and short body. Bit of a knuckle-dragger, tbh :D
  • Well I'm going to look at a Ti tonight, price agreed so if it pans out I'll be bringing it home...

Nice pics btw, for the grass/garden shots how did you stand them up?
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    tomisitt wrote:
    Well if you insist :)

_DSC0282.JPG

What a stunner!

Matt
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    edited September 2013
    got my new van nicholas ventus in march. best bike i have ever owned. frame has lived up to everything i had hoped with titanium. handles like a dream and the ride is just so smooth.

had to have the se with apex, but even that works better than i expected.( seems as good as 105 or veloce). so upgrading the group set can wait, did upgrade the wheels though. :D
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • pauly69
    pauly69 Posts: 101
    exlaser wrote:
    got my new van nicholas ventus in march. best bike i have ever owned. frame has lived up to everything i had hoped with titanium. handles like a dream and the ride is just so smooth.

had to have the sc with apex, but even that works better than i expected.( seems as good as 105 or veloce). so upgrading the group set can wait, did upgrade the wheels though. :D

...guess that's se with apex, and correct your sig while you're at it - what is a ventas ? ;)

I hear (almost) nothing but good things about the 'cheap' ventus, gonna have a look at the cycle show and then maybe pull the trigger. Not expecting any changes for 2014, but vn are being very slow at updating their site following eurobike, grrrr.
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    pauly69 wrote:
    exlaser wrote:

had to have the se with apex, but even that works better than i expected.( seems as good as 105 or veloce). so upgrading the group set can wait, did upgrade the wheels though. :D

...guess that's se with apex, and correct your sig while you're at it - what is a ventas ? ;)

I hear (almost) nothing but good things about the 'cheap' ventus, gonna have a look at the cycle show and then maybe pull the trigger. Not expecting any changes for 2014, but vn are being very slow at updating their site following eurobike, grrrr.

corrected :oops:

i got mine from john atkins cycles in leamington spa ( great shop, great staff, great customer service), but van nicholas were a little slow. the bike was ordered in september to be delivered in november. i got the bike in early march,but it was worth the wait!!! :D:D:D
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • 700c
    700c Posts: 59
    Kinesis gran fondo Ti. Fast, stiff, smooth. Mk 1 frame now superseded by mk 2 so might be able to get it cheap
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Buy direct from China: $800 shipped for full custom frames (the same factories used by a number of brands listed above). FWIW Enigma source their off-the-peg frame from the far east.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Rapha Charity Auction Ti bike custom fit
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321204625772? ... 1554.l2649
  • s2_dpd
    So I bought the frame, forks and headset from the Classified section, and the rest is now bolted on...

201309-LitespeedArchonTi.jpg
  • ianbar
    thats a nice looking bike, which litespeed frame is it?
    enigma esprit
  • s2_dpd
    thanks

it's an Archon Ti, they renamed it the T1 I think last year