Thinking of going mtb for the first time in 20 years -

binka
binka Posts: 12
edited November 2013 in MTB beginners
What's changed? :D

My old bike is currently in the bike shop having new wheels built. I'm guessing now days its considered retro, no suspension at all as I reckon it predates forks. I remember suspension forks been introduced and never thought they'd catch on. :lol:

So the bike will be in good condition. I'm fairly fit as I'm out on my road bike every week. I'm guessing I'll maybe have forgotten a fair bit. I'd like to think my bikes a good one even if its old, I've raced down Snowdon full pelt on it in the past with no problem.

I see everyone seems to wear pads, body armour these days. Do I need it? I'm planning on going to Glentrool, maybe some of the other Stanes.

Am I mad? Do I need a new bike?

Comments

• Not if you have raced it down Snowden.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    What he ^^^^^^ said

If you've taken a rigid down Snowden you're a better rider than me. Just get bak out there, then think about new steed
  • binka
    binka Posts: 12
    Excellent, thanks.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    My first real mountain bike was a fully rigid GT Outpost from the early 1990's and I rode it round Edale etc in the Peak District. Great bike to ride but the cantilever Brakes were next to useless at high speed or on steep hills !

Couple of years later I bought an Orange C16R hard tail with front suspension and V Brakes which actually stopped the bike :) . It came with really narrow flat handle bars, bar ends and pedals with straps. I swapped those out for a wider riser bar and BMX style flat pedals which as the time was not the done thing as people were obessively into weight saving but I wanted a stable good handling bike.

I bought a new bike this year to replace the orange and there are various improvements but the once that I found made the biggest difference for my XC riding are Disc brakes which stop the bike really well in any conditions, an adjustable air suspension fork which is really usefull and (puts on flame proof suit) the 29er wheels which roll better than the 26er wheels and do not get knocked around as much as the 26er wheels on my Orange.

Have fun :)
  • I took my 120mm full suss out today just around town, down steps of 3 and by the beach. I wondered why it was slightly more bumpy yet why it pedalled so good. Shocks locked out :roll:

I don't think anything has changed. The perception of what we need has changed. I used to have a rigid mtb as a kid and that's 'just the way it was'

M8s shocks broke on locked out and he noticed his hands hurting a lot more with more arm pump

Sure we were overtaking people on hard tails as we let our suspension take the bigger hits rather than taking a skilled linem but those same people overtook us on the climbs. I can ride my hard tail on flowy trails with small rock drops and such locked out with the tires at 20psi no problem. I can do the same at 30 psi, but then I don't like feeling every vibration. I prefer to go through harder stuff with a more sofa type experience.

I wear protection because some of the stuff I've ridden I know people have had major accidents like broken backs. My parents class mountain biking as getting from point A to point B without using roads. I class mountain biking as a way of being able to ride terrain I'd not normally ride quickly embracing thrills and spills with nature as an added bonus. Mostly if it's not downhill, it's not fun.
  • Ulysses
    Ulysses Posts: 104
    You'll be alright if you've still been riding. I went from 15 years of nil pedals to 15 mile trail in an hour and a half on a rigid in a couple of weeks. Wont be long and you'll know if your happy riding XC or if you are seeking out more friskey rides. Either way, get out there and ride :)