Forme bikes

heathrow86
heathrow86 Posts: 228
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
Hello, any feedback on the Forme road bikes?

Comments

• STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Never heard of them, a quick look suggests to me they are nothing particularly special.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    They look nice enough, but why would you be interested? You can get full carbon and a branded finishing kit for the same money.
    I'd be heading for PlanetX, Ribble or Boardman (all the usual suspects basically) for that money.
  • Perhaps the OP wants something different than a shitty planet x bike :roll:
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • valedragon
    valedragon Posts: 37
    They are made/imported by moore large who also sell barracuda bikes and supply bikes to tesco.
  • STEFANOS4784
    shitty planet x bike :roll:

That is contrary to what every other rider of a P-X says. In what way are they shitty? :roll: :wink:
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    In what way are they shitty?

They are not in any way shitty. Fungus is just being a tinker.
  • heathrow86
    Thanks for the replies. I am do not particulaly wish to have a carbon frame, as the bike will be used mainly for commuting, hence me looking at alu'.

I have been looking at the Orbea Aqua T105 and the Trek 2.1c, at the moment the Trek is floating my boat and is in my price range. I saws the Frome bike at Cult racing in Solihull and thought it looked quite nice and it was something a bit different.

Any thought on the Trek or Orbea please advise.
  • STEFANOS4784
    You'd be hard pressed to find a rubbish bike at that price point really. Best bet is to try them out and get the one you like the best, there wont be huge difference in Spec but CAAD9 seems to be the aluminium bike which is recommended most and that's where my money would go i reckon.
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    I got the Trek 2.3 in November and it's been great. No problems at all. 2.1 is the model down so can't be that different.
  • AEB1
    AEB1 Posts: 1
    Heathrow86,

Forme bikes are market leading at their price points and are criticised by those whom have no idea about the trade nor the brand as evidently proven by their grand comments. It is very unfair to make a negative comment unless you have ridden the bikes. Forme target the fitness and commuting sector of the market with a more laid back geometry with comfort at the forefront of the design. The bikes have the best value for money componentry when pitched against the 3 market leaders (Giant, Trek and Specialized) and are manufactured by Kinesis featuring triple butted lightweight tubing and smooth welding. In addition they are built in the same factory as GT; Cannondale; Pinarello, Bianchi and others so in reply to Stefano who knows it all; Forme are pretty special.
    The range will be expanded to a full fitness/commuting range of hybrid/MTB/Road in September. Watch this space....

Moore Large are responsible for creating the British designed brand whom are one of the UK's leading distributors and have huge success across all areas of the trade from budget Barracuda bikes to the best Italian Basso bikes.
  • heathrow86
    Thanks for that information, I intend to go and test ride the bike next week. After I have had my bikefit session.

I like the look of it anyway.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    AEB1 wrote:
    Heathrow86,

Forme bikes are market leading at their price points and are criticised by those whom have no idea about the trade nor the brand as evidently proven by their grand comments. It is very unfair to make a negative comment unless you have ridden the bikes. Forme target the fitness and commuting sector of the market with a more laid back geometry with comfort at the forefront of the design. The bikes have the best value for money componentry when pitched against the 3 market leaders (Giant, Trek and Specialized) and are manufactured by Kinesis featuring triple butted lightweight tubing and smooth welding. In addition they are built in the same factory as GT; Cannondale; Pinarello, Bianchi and others so in reply to Stefano who knows it all; Forme are pretty special.
    The range will be expanded to a full fitness/commuting range of hybrid/MTB/Road in September. Watch this space....

Moore Large are responsible for creating the British designed brand whom are one of the UK's leading distributors and have huge success across all areas of the trade from budget Barracuda bikes to the best Italian Basso bikes.

Ok thanks for the Mr Moore, or are you Mr Large?
  • STEFANOS4784
    To be fair to the guy i also had a PM apollogising, would seem he was a bit stressed after a long day and responded without thinking. Wouldn't let it put me off the bikes, in fact the shorter top tubes may suit my lanky legs :wink:
  • Percy Vera
    I thought it was very good of him to hold his hands up and apologise, he handled it very well in the end. However, why was my post deleted? It was fact and not my opinion.

Can the mod who deleted it please let me know??

What I wrote was....

Within such a saturated market we aim to promote the brand successfully by offering optimal dealer support; solid stock levels;.......Adam Biggs, Bike Biz, January 2010

And Adam was on here himself saying he had run out of stock.
  • STEFANOS4784
    I didn't see another of your posts other than the one above :?
  • Percy Vera
    I didn't see another of your posts other than the one above :?

Very strange :?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    I saw it - a few of the posts have disappeared!
  • pprince
    pprince Posts: 141
    heathrow86 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. I am do not particulaly wish to have a carbon frame, as the bike will be used mainly for commuting, hence me looking at alu'.

I have been looking at the Orbea Aqua T105 and the Trek 2.1c, at the moment the Trek is floating my boat and is in my price range. I saws the Frome bike at Cult racing in Solihull and thought it looked quite nice and it was something a bit different.

Any thought on the Trek or Orbea please advise.

Hi, I'm Paul Prince the co-owner of Cult Racing
    PM me your name, I'm intrigued to put a name to your face ! :lol: Great to see us get a mention!
    Pop in for a coffee, would be good to have a laugh about this thread.

Talking about Forme bikes for a sec.
    I'm an ex-punter who decided to open a bike shop, be it a bit differently.
    I know Adam through Basso bikes (which I sell too) but I took in Forme to fill a sub £1000 gap in the market for road bikes. There is or wasn't enough choice. Fact. The amazing sales of Forme prove this. Forme customers aren't daft, Trek, Specialized, Giant all have MASSIVE budgets which put them on the radar of probably every savvy prospective bike buyer in the country.
    Forme customers have made a choice above these major brands but I'm not naive enough to think they're better than everything else.
    My customers can buy what they want but I think sub-£1k sales are driven heavily by aesthetics of a bike over value for money, ride, performance etc and Forme, in my opinion, score highly on all counts. Thats why they are in my shop.
    Putting my neck on the line, I opened my shop last July and I've learned a lot and made some mistakes. My first major brand has been a disaster (PM me for which and reasons why) so I'm not perfect but the 3 best things I've done in my shop have been Basso, Felt and Forme, in that order.
    Adam is smart and very passionate (and protective) of his brands as I am of my shop's reputation.
    Good guy. Good bikes. Simples.

Paul Prince
  • Can't be much of a bike shop if the guy has already been in with cash burning a hole in his pocket wanting to buy a bike. Then walks still confused on which one to choose and has to start asking questions on a forum.

I like idea of you asking him to pop in for a coffee, gives you a second chance to sell him a bike as you faliled the first time.

Reading the postsfrom Adam sounds like one the Forme bike's is exactly what chaps after.

The guy obviously just wants some helpful advice and guidance. I would suggest looking on the Association od Cycle Traders Website for a decent shop in your area. Find one that the local cycling clubs use. You'll get good advice about which bike will suit your needs. There will also be information about local events. It might be worth joining the local cycling club as they usually have a deal with the cycle shop and you could get a bit of discount.
    One thing a lot of poeple forget when buying a bike is the aftersales. If you buy a bike from reputable dealer then they will carry spares and be able to service and repair your bike in the future.

The shop should also help you to set the bike up and get a good position. They are usually run by people who have years of experience.
    Most good shops also offer a free first service. Once you've had your bike a week or so and everything is beded in, the cables and chain will have stretched. It will only take them 10 mins to true up your wheels, tweek the brakes and gears.

Good Luck and enjoy it . It;s probably the best bit about cycling, choosing a new bike
  • Marco think your dig at PP was abit under the belt. Perhaps the guy never even enquired about the forme bikes. His post indicates he looked at them. It says nothing that indicates he came away from the shop confused because he didn't get the info he wanted.

If I go into a bike shop I don't want to be hassled by the staff. If I want their help I will ask. If I then walk away without buying anything that doesn't mean it's a poor bike shop.

I'd rather they came up asked me if I wanted a brew . I'm then more likely to chat and develop a relationship with the person. If I get a good vibe from them I will probably buy something then even if its only a few inner tubes or something.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • I don't think anybody minds being asked if they want some help when they are in a shop especially if the're showing an interest in a paticular bike. If they don't want to be hassled then you just say 'no thanks'. This guy was obviously interesed and was looking for some help.
    The shop had a range of bikes including the Forme bikes which sound like they were just what he was looking for and within his budget. He should have left there with a brand new bike all set up for him. With the confidence that he chose the right bike and the right shop, which would look after him for years to come.
    Their Motto is 'customer service', doesn't sound like he got any. You can make your own mind up as to wether the shop did a good job or not.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    Can't be much of a bike shop if the guy has already been in with cash burning a hole in his pocket wanting to buy a bike. Then walks still confused on which one to choose and has to start asking questions on a forum.

I like idea of you asking him to pop in for a coffee, gives you a second chance to sell him a bike as you faliled the first time.

Reading the postsfrom Adam sounds like one the Forme bike's is exactly what chaps after.

The guy obviously just wants some helpful advice and guidance. I would suggest looking on the Association od Cycle Traders Website for a decent shop in your area. Find one that the local cycling clubs use. You'll get good advice about which bike will suit your needs. There will also be information about local events. It might be worth joining the local cycling club as they usually have a deal with the cycle shop and you could get a bit of discount.
    One thing a lot of poeple forget when buying a bike is the aftersales. If you buy a bike from reputable dealer then they will carry spares and be able to service and repair your bike in the future.

The shop should also help you to set the bike up and get a good position. They are usually run by people who have years of experience.
    Most good shops also offer a free first service. Once you've had your bike a week or so and everything is beded in, the cables and chain will have stretched. It will only take them 10 mins to true up your wheels, tweek the brakes and gears.

Good Luck and enjoy it . It;s probably the best bit about cycling, choosing a new bike

I think you've read way too much into the OP as I don't see any of this. The OP saw a bike range which he liked the look of but was unfamiliar with (as I would have been) so asked for impartial advice off other forum members which is what the forum is for. The distributor and dealer have since added their own thoughts to the debate. Where are you reading "I went in and looked at a bike, the shop owner was no help when I asked his advice so I didn't bother buying it and have decided to ask you lot instead"? :?
  • heathrow86
    Blimey I never expected this when i first posted the topic. I have not been to the Cult Racing shop in person, i saw the Forme bike on the shops website. I was told about the Forme brand by someone who I work with, whilst talking about bikes and stuff. I am still attracted to the bike but I am looking around and trying a few models out first.

As for fitting I am awaiting an appointment with Adrian at Cadence sport which I booked a while ago but due to his accident he has been delayed somewhat. Once this has been carried out I hopefully will have a greater knowledge of what I should be looking for and more importantly size and dimensions of myself.

I appreciate that at this time of year the bikes I am looking at are problably running low on stocks due to new models coming out etc. But as I will be spending near a £1000, and as someone who is returning to cycling after some 20 years, I had better get it right.

Thankyou for the posts.
  • andyrewer
    andyrewer Posts: 1
    hi, work in a shop which has taken on forme road bikes, and have to say really impressed with build quality and the customers which have purchased have been back for a few extras drinks bottles, computers and clothing have been really impressed with the performance!
    take the forme reve! same retail as the giant defy 3 same spec but as a seller i prefer the forme and as a bike the forme looks better!
    for the price point you should also check the basso devil £999
    enjoy choosing!

p.s moore large also bring in HARO! and everyone supplys multi national!
  • Percy Vera
    andyrewer wrote:
    hi, work in a shop which has taken on forme road bikes, and have to say really impressed with build quality and the customers which have purchased have been back for a few extras drinks bottles, computers and clothing have been really impressed with the performance!
    take the forme reve! same retail as the giant defy 3 same spec but as a seller i prefer the forme and as a bike the forme looks better!
    for the price point you should also check the basso devil £999
    enjoy choosing!

p.s moore large also bring in HARO! and everyone supplys multi national!

Ok, cheers for that Adam! :wink::D
  • john74
    john74 Posts: 254
    i bought a forme reve yesterday and took it for its maiden voyage today 30 miles averaging 17mph.
    faultless is the word i would use didnt miss a beat at anytime. also fitted me perfectly no aches or pain but i did spend an hour in the lbs getting it set just right.
    i paid £650 and would recommend this bike to any prospective buyer.
    2010 Forme Reve
    2010 Giant Talon 1
  • Bought a Forme Reve in June 2011 for £500 in Bexleyheath during a sale. Fantastic bike for the money. started commuting 12 weeks ago.Dartford to E. Croydon - 160 miles per week. lost 2 stone so far and the bike is in good shape.I cannot fault it. I may upgrade to 105 after christmas and intend to go through the winter.Time for a service but still rides very well. I am saving money, losing weight (now 15 st 2 lbs) and quicker than bus and rail.No aches and pains after the rides, however i did invest in SPD and specialized carbon sole shoes which makes a huge difference to the whole experience. :wink:
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    A mate at work was telling me today he had bought a Forme Longcliffe 2.0. He got it for around £650 and is very pleased with it.
  • jQwan
    jQwan Posts: 10
    I had a 2011 Forme Vitesse.

I loved it, would buy them again and would recommend to others.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Lmao at all the '1' posters raving up about forme bikes....poor forme...