Puncture repair kit?

deer_dance
deer_dance Posts: 44
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
New to road biking and still not carrying anything to sort a puncture. No pump, tubes, levers. Nothing.

What do I need as a bare minimum and what's the easiest way to carry it?

Can it all be carried comfortably in a jersey pocket or do I need a saddle bag or something?

Comments

• Bare minimum is a tube or a repair kit, and something to pump with. If you're going to repair the puncture, you'll need to wait a while while the glue dries, or use glueless patches which are temporary.

With the right technique, you don't need levers to get the tyre on and off (though practise first to make sure you can do it).

Then it's either a Carbon Dioxide inflator or a little road pump - opinions vary, so try both, pick what you like best.

I hate stuff in jersey pockets (and I so wouldn't want a pump gashing my back if I fell off), so I have a saddle bag. Small for distances up to 60 miles, large for when I'm out all day and I want to be sure of being able to carry on without aborting (so three spare tubes, 3 CO2 canisters plus pump and more in the large one).

Lots of threads on this topic; search is your friend.

You'll only get a puncture miles from home with nothing to fix it with, once, so don't worry.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • You'll get loads of responses I'm sure and they'll probably all be different but for me I have a small saddle bag with 2 tubes, a small box of instant patches, two tire levers (all this would be minimum I'm my book), in addition I have a multi tool with a chain breaker and two gas canisters. In my back pocket I have a mini pump that has gas and manual option. As I say, this is just what I carry and people will be on saying carry more or less. In case you're wondering about the gas cylinders, it just speeds things up on a cold wet winters day.
  • Get yourself a bag that goes under your saddle , put some tyre levers , puncture kit , the patches that are pre glued saves fiddling about on the road , a multi tool , a spare inner tube and your more or less sorted ,oh youll need a pump as well , can fasten to frame easiy enough , keys , phone and anything else goes into bag , nothing should go into your back pockets that can stick into you if you come off ,
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Gazzer1230 wrote:
    Get yourself a bag that goes under your saddle , put some tyre levers , puncture kit , the patches that are pre glued saves fiddling about on the road , a multi tool , a spare inner tube and your more or less sorted ,oh youll need a pump as well , can fasten to frame easiy enough , keys , phone and anything else goes into bag , nothing should go into your back pockets that can stick into you if you come off ,

In reality this is not a consideration. Shoulders, head, hands, knees and hips take the brunt of impact if you come off; I've crashed many, many times ( :oops: ) and never totalled the items in my back pockets.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Some disposable latex gloves are also handy. Saves your hands getting covered in crap if you have to carry out running repairs.
  • I've seen a few references to people using bottles to carry stuff. I only have one bottle cage but could be a good solution whilst I don't need a drink on the bike (sub 2.5 hour rides)?
  • Markjaspi
    Markjaspi Posts: 729
    As above you will get lots of responses, but I carry 2 x plastic tyre levers, 1 x inner tube, 1 x Co2 inflator and a sealed wet wipe, sello-taped up and put in my back pocket (don't like saddle bags). Usually up and running around a minute. Hope this helps.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • desweller
    deer_dance wrote:
    I've seen a few references to people using bottles to carry stuff. I only have one bottle cage but could be a good solution whilst I don't need a drink on the bike (sub 2.5 hour rides)?

:shock:

On a hot day I will need to refill both my bottles for 50 mile rides; roughly 3 hours for me...

Get a saddlebag. It stops you forgetting your kit cos it's always on the bike.

In the saddlebag I have:

2 levers
    1 inner tube
    Pair of nitrile rubber gloves (tougher than latex and less likely to provoke an allergic response if you are sensitive)
    2 quick links
    A few chain links
    Multitool that covers all the fasteners on the bike
    A few patches
    Wet'n'dry
    Vulcanising solution
    French chalk

I also use a frame fit pump as it's a lot easier to hit 100psi and it doesn't run out of CO2. My experiences with mini-pumps have not been positive on the whole.

It's important to keep the vulcanising solution separate to the patches in case of leaks. I also dust the spare tube with talcum powder before packing it into a plastic bag; makes it easier to fit and avoids fretting damage during rides.

Check the state of your kit every couple of weeks; it might be months or even years before you need it and you don't want to find that your spare inner has perished or the vulcanising solution has gummed up your multitool.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    DesWeller wrote:
    Gazzer1230 wrote:
    Get yourself a bag that goes under your saddle , put some tyre levers , puncture kit , the patches that are pre glued saves fiddling about on the road , a multi tool , a spare inner tube and your more or less sorted ,oh youll need a pump as well , can fasten to frame easiy enough , keys , phone and anything else goes into bag , nothing should go into your back pockets that can stick into you if you come off ,

In reality this is not a consideration. Shoulders, head, hands, knees and hips take the brunt of impact if you come off; I've crashed many, many times ( :oops: ) and never totalled the items in my back pockets.

It isn't about trashing the stuff in your back pockets, it's about not having those items trashing you in a nasty crash. Keys being about the worst thing you can carry in your back pockets.

In terms of the OP, a tube is far easier than a puncture repair kit. Patches, instant or traditional can be a pain in the behind in bad weather.

If you ride long distances in remote countryside, 2 tubes.

If you ride very long distances in remote countryside, 2 tubes, puncture repair kit, tyre boot/spare tyre.

Alongside tubes, you'll need tyre levers (unless you are 100% certain that you can get your tyre off with your hands in cold/wet conditions. A pump or CO2 thing. Multitool - making sure it covers everything on your bike. Latex gloves.

Small saddlebag will fit that, your keys, phone, cash card etc.
  • desweller
    marcusjb wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    Gazzer1230 wrote:

It isn't about trashing the stuff in your back pockets, it's about not having those items trashing you in a nasty crash. Keys being about the worst thing you can carry in your back pockets.

If I'm not breaking my phone then I'm not landing on it, am I. God knows I'm good enough at breaking the sodding things in other scenarios. Based on a decade's experience of crashing when carrying things in back pockets it's not an important consideration.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DesWeller wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    Gazzer1230 wrote:

If I'm not breaking my phone then I'm not landing on it, am I. God knows I'm good enough at breaking the sodding things in other scenarios. Based on a decade's experience of crashing when carrying things in back pockets it's not an important consideration.
    Then youve been very lucky ..when you have a saddle bag why keep keys and phone in your jersey
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    DSORBY2 wrote:
    break leaver x2
    pump
    inner tube
    multi tool

somthing to carry them in

Exactly the same plus a mobile phone and a bit of cash. For longer distances food another spare innertube.
  • Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    Wait what? I thought no saddle bag was allowed on my road bike?
    I genuinely put it all in my jersey pockets for that reason alone

I carry

1 multi tool with tyre levers on it
    1 puncture repair kit
    1 co2 inflator with 2 bottles of gas
    mobile phone
    money to buy cake and drink if its a long ride
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Cupras wrote:

I carry

1 puncture repair kit
    mobile phone

I have a very small saddle bag and it holds everything without me having masses of stuff swinging about in my pockets :)
  • Cupras wrote:

I carry

1 puncture repair kit
    mobile phone
    In your jersey?

Barking IMO, but each to his own.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Thanks for the advice all, I've ordered the bare minimum kit. I hate carrying stuff in pockets at the best of times so decided it had to go on the bike rather than on me. Opted for a container that goes in a bottle cage rather than a saddle bag. It means I can only carry one bottle but that seems OK to me for the distances I am doing so far.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Just avoid the pre glued patches. Chances are you won't need them anyway if you carry a couple of spare tubes but, if you are that unlucky you managed to puncture three times, you might as well do a proper job of the repair and save yourself from having to re-do it when you get home or, worse, forgetting and having the same puncture happen a year or two later when the temporary patch fails!

The container is fine for now but you might find that come summer you drink far more than you do now. A mate of mine can get through a bottle in 25 miles even when it isn't hot!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The issue with landing on hard metal objects is damaging your spine. The risk is worth committing the fashion faux pas of a small saddlebag.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    Some sort of gloves is an absolute must.

I learnt this the hard way having to put a chain back on whilst wearing a white jersey and with white bar tape and no real means of cleaning my hands.
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt