wtb momentum comp headset "compression ring" remov

prycey
prycey Posts: 34
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I am trying to take the forks off my girl friends bike. Usually the forks drop out after you remove the bolts on the stem.
This headset seems different can anyone tell me how to remove the compression ring?

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    screwdriver and a soft faced mallet.

the ring needs lifting to release the lock.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I would tap the top of the fork steerer with a mallet (with the fork off the ground of course. This should force the fork down a few millimeters, then, by pushing the fork back up again, you will see the compression ring rises from the headset, releasing the tension and allowing you to remove it.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    If you dont have a soft mallet (plastic ones are normally available from cheapo stores for a couple of quid) you can use a piece of wood as a drift to prtect the steerer and an ordinary hammer. Never use an ordinary hammer face direct on the steerer.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I know this is an old thread but has anyone managed to get one of these dis-assembled? I have tried with the drifting method but cannot move the steerer post down at all. The gap in the compression ring is too small to insert a strong enough screwdriver.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Method above always works if it doesn't just lift out, but you could try giving the front end a bloody good shake to loosen everything up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • prycey
    prycey Posts: 34
    The method above worked for me, try hitting it a bit harder
  • Managed to do this over the w/e by hitting it with a lump hammer; one quick tap was all it took. Using the wood reduced the impact and would not shift it. I do not recommend this method but it worked and did not damage the tube.