greasy car windscreen..

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited October 2013 in The hub
I used an internal glass gleaner on my car, but it seems to have some sort of oil in it so when driving towards a low sun I can see fffffffuck all.

Water seems to do nothing to get rid of it, can I use a bit of meths to get it off?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I have a rule, never touch my windscreen on the inside.

If I had to, IPA might be good with lint free cloth.
  • Yeah same tbh... I was originallu trying to remove marks from my sat nav sucker.

Cheers, will give that a go!
  • Should have put this in the crudcatcher... Vinegar and rolled up newspaper, might smell but does the job.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I just use windowlene when it gets too bad and all the grease etc is soon gone. Inside and out.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Good quality damp chamois leather works best
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    A decent proper car window cleaner like Autoglym Fast Glass, non streaky so doesn't leave any marks (so long as you wipe it on and off properly)
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Briggo wrote:
    Autoglym Fast Glass

+1
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Briggo wrote:
    Autoglym Fast Glass

+1

And again, use newspaper instead of a cloth.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    yeah +1 for newspaper. does a good job.

I also have some glass cleaner stuff I use on lcd screens that's not too bad - well I've used it with no problems anyway :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Damp kitchen roll and a dot (NO a DOT, no more) of washing up liquid.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I have a rule, never touch my windscreen on the inside.

If I had to, IPA might be good with lint free cloth.

Really?

Air con, which most cars have now, will over time put a thing film of crud on the inside of the windscreen and at this time of year with the low sun things can get quite dazzling.

I'd use newspaper and a small amount of vinegar to sort things out :) .
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Autoglym glass polish is even better than their glass cleaner.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    mine came up lovely with a spot of Halfords citrus degreaser, available from all good Halfords and most of the bad ones too
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp