Wrist injury question

georgeav
georgeav Posts: 6
edited October 2013 in Health, fitness & training
So, Was going for a ride on my local trails today, and i decided to try a jump that i haven't done before, this isn't your regular jump. The landing area was a berm, with a old stump on top 1m infront of the jump (This is a small jump - bigger than 10 inches) I've never attempted this particular jump before because the landing is one of the hardest things to get right for this one.

So i go into this jump and i know my speed is too high, hit the jump perfectly but landed on the top part of the berm, lost control and smashed into the stump which sent me over the bars. Landed in a bush and put my right hand out to stop me from hitting the tree - bad move, that's what caused the injury. (reading this over and it sounds like a newbies mistake!)

Now, the injury. I think i have about 80% of actions working for my wrist with no/minimal pain. But when i squeeze my wrist slightly or pick up something with an outstretched arm (I.e on bed and reaching out to get my phone of my bed side table, my thumb loses 90% off it's power and some sharp but bearable pain accompanies it.

I think it's just a sprain, but this is my first injury on a bike that is bothering me (sprained ankle, ripped tendon, dislocated shoulder, non of them bothered me because their relatively simple injuries. But the wrist... has a shit tonne of bones and small things that can break or get damaged (Yikes) so my question is should i bother go to a doctor and get a x-ray or wait a week and see if it gets better? Thanks for bothering to read this :) Oh and as i side note (though it's not important) i'm a 16 year old male. :wink:

Re reading this again i realise how stupid i sound.. lol

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    Take some painkillers and see how it is tomorrow. If it's still bad then pick a quiet time and go to A&E (or a minor injuries if they have an X Ray unit there) just to be safe.

I came off a few months ago and my hand swelled up and could barely move my fingers, similar feeling to when I broke my wrist previously. I thought I'd done serious damage to it, but the following morning the swelling had gone down and it was fine!
  • This is really not the place to be asking medical advice. Would you ask your doctor for riding tips???
    As a general rule allways treat the people on here as idiots, not medically trained idiots either
  • carbonkid wrote:
    This is really not the place to be asking medical advice. Would you ask your doctor for riding tips???
    As a general rule allways treat the people on here as idiots, not medically trained idiots either
    Maybe, but you can't ask doctors for experience of this! Decided to visit my local office on monday, get it looked at. Just to be safe yanoe..