Colnago vs Parlee vs Cannondale?

winterdancer
winterdancer Posts: 42
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Looking for a new road bike - currently have a Cervelo Soloist alloy with DuraAce, that's nearly 7 years old and has had plenty of racing so it's time to treat myself to a new steed. Stuck between the Colnago C59, the Parlee Z3 and the Cannondale SuperSix HiMod. The Colnago and Cannondale get 5* reviews here, nothing about the Parlee. Anyone out there have an opinion on any of these bikes? I'd like one that is quite sharp for handling, good feedback through the forks, and stiff for sprints.
TIA

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    get test rides on each of them, thats the only way you'll know which one imo ..
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    I have a Z5, C59 and a SuperSix. What do you want to know ?

The Z3 is a custom build from memory so I assume the build and therefore the characteristics of the frame will be particular to you.

SuperSix and Z5 are both very light bikes, both have pressfit BB (which I now dislike intensely and have solved with a Praxis adaptor). The C59 is heavier and has a BSA bottom bracket. Supersix is probably the most aggressive geometry of the 3, both the C59 and Z5 are fast bikes but a bit more relaxed geometry than the S6.

If it was out and out racing I would probably go S6, C59 then Z5. If it was 100+ miles in the hills it would go Z5, C59 and then S6. If I had to choose just one it would be the C59, because it makes me smile.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    That's the kind of answer you want OP, great stuff ...
  • FHKJ
    FHKJ Posts: 151
    Sorry to jump in but Mccaria, why did you jump to Praxis? My Z5 Has a few BB challenges but I've never considered the alternatives.

Any advice/comments/thoughts on the Praxis over standard Parlee much appreciated.

FJ
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Not a great fan of PF30 or OSBB. My ideal bottom bracket is one that I can fit and forget, not one that creaks and requires more maintenance than the rest of the bike put together.

I wanted to run a Dura Ace chainset on the Parlee. Tried the Parlee adapters, but somehow one came loose mid-way on a ride and made a lovely job of grinding a circular groove in a brand new 9000 chainset arm. How I laughed....

Praxis is very easy to fit, torque up and then attach chainset. Takes about as much time and tools as fitting a BSA bottom bracket. The Praxis braces against itself so should stay together better than the stand alone adapters. So far no problems. I have one on a PF30 frame and one on a Specialized OSBB and both have worked very well.
  • FHKJ
    FHKJ Posts: 151
    Thanks for the(speedy) response. Totally understood and fits exactly with the challenges I'm having. Praxis ordered today. Thanks again, FJ