First attempt

cyclingsheep
cyclingsheep Posts: 640
edited October 2013 in Cyclocross
Quick question. I'm planning on going to this event,Team Milton Keynes Cross/Central League Round 2, as my first one and first outing in anger on the cyclocross bike. I'm 41, haven't raced in 20yrs, so question is.....do I enter the novice category as a first timer and learn the ropes or do I enter the Vets category and sit at the back keeping out of everyone's way?

Comments

• MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Guess either would do
    Personally I'd go for the Vets- bigger field and more prize money :D
  • MikeWW wrote:
    Guess either would do
    Personally I'd go for the Vets- bigger field and more prize money :D

Lol, only if prize money goes down to last place
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    After a couple of laps, once you've been passed by the leaders few know where they are in a CX race anyway - simply get your head down and enjoy the fun.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • To anyone reading this and contemplating having a go......DO IT! I had an awesome afternoon in Milton Keynes today. A great course with loads of little single tracks sections through the trees. I was a bit apprehensive before the start, as I said in earlier posts this was my first attempt, so I sat at the back of the field on the start line. Once the whistle went though all bets were off. I felt sick from exertion at the end and have no idea how I did but it was so much fun. Give it a go......you won't be disappointed.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,334
    Excellent, well done. I really should have a go. I'm 45 and I've never raced before but feel I should give it a go. Did you go for the vets in the end?
  • Yeah gave Vets a crack despite really struggling with a bad back all week. Give it a shot for sure. Only downside was getting stung by a wasp (I wasn't the only one either by all accounts) but I can't blame cyclocross for that :)