Press fit BB advice

mattyboy199
mattyboy199 Posts: 627
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Guys,

My press fit BB on my TCR 2 has been creaking for far to long now, i want to replace it myself however cant find a reasonably priced removal tool. I have used similar tools for headsets in the past on my mtb & removal is very easy to do. I'm also unsure of sizing of the BB cups, would it just be a case of checking the diameter/BB shell on the frame ?

All help will be appreciated.

Matt
Show me your green bits i might buy them !

Comments

• markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    If its the same as my TCR. Its a the 86.5mm pressfit BB. I recently changed mine, and used the back end of a wrench and a hander to gentle knock it out.

Used a proper tool to put the new one in though.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • mattyboy199
    My TCR 2 is 2011 & an aluminium frame. I cant see how you would get the cups out without a cup removal tool as the tools are designed to expand once through the opposite side cup & distributes force evenly.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Giant uses a variation of BB86 - it's a common press-fit standard. If you're planning on replacing the BB, then you can simply drift out the old BB, no special tools required.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mattyboy199
    what do you mean by drift ?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A straight or tapered metal bar with a flat end and preferably a chamfered edge. Some press-fit BBs are simply the cartridge bearings pressed into a plastic housing and there's little inside to engage with a bearing puller. You just simply have to 'bash' them out - the risk of using a screwdriver or similar is that you could gouge the inside of the BB shell.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mattyboy199
    ok so this KCNC BB is the correct fitment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KCNC-BB90-PF9 ... 1e7c3d9de9
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    you need a BB86 unit that fits a 86.5mm BB shell. In other words, your frame is 86.5mm wide.

One like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KCNC-Press-Fi ... 3f278ec989

This is sometimes called BB90, which confuses everyone because Trek do a proprietary BB with the same name.

Shimano BB86 units are okay. They aren't particularly quick spinning or anything flash but they are pretty good for the money.

Don't get a BB92 one, as that is MTB spec, and wider (mtb chainsets are wider than road ones).

[some BBs can handle both widths, as they have a slidey central tube. Some BBs are just the cups, so don't have a central tube, so can do any width]
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    I found this to be a useful guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AftPKuX_tyo
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Right chaps had a go at getting this BB today, all sorted ! its a shimano unit with BB71-41 printed on the cups does this have any relevence to size ?

shell size is 87mm wide with an internal diameter of 41mm
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    41 refers to the 41mm ID

71 refers to Ultegra level spec of the unit itself.

It's the right one. Now do you have a headset/BB press?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Well I ended up opting for a shimano unit purely because its plastic and likely to be a lot easier to remove than the ally KCNC unit. I have a headset press the rest is plain sailing thanks for the help
  • I have to fit a BB86 into a Giant TCR Advanced SL at some point (I'm in no rush). Rather than spend a lot of money on the proper tool for a one-off job (or pay LBS £25 which seems OTT), I was wondering: couldn't I just buy a hex-headed bolt and nut with appropriately sized washers? It looks like M20 bolts plus washers would be in the right ball park size-wise (37mm OD washer) to fit inside the press fit cups.

Any tips from other tight-fisted workshoppers appreciated!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Washers aren't very stiff...I'd probably just gently tap it in with a soft mallet. I have fitted a lot of bearings to machines without needing all the special tools that people seem to need for bicycles.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Hmm - hadn't thought of a mallet. I'll wait and see what others say, but I wouldn't rule that approach out. The cups can be pushed in a fair distance by hand, so hopefully the potential to go askew is reduced.