Manual to Bunny Hop - I just dont understand

Will Nunez
Will Nunez Posts: 203
edited October 2013 in MTB beginners
Ok So I can do a manual. Just about. My method is to compress arms, shoulders over bars, partially bend legs, bum off but above seat. Pedals in horizontal.

To get wheel up i push handle bar forward sharpishly and a little bit down, rather than using suspension rebound, so that my shoulders are back behind bars (arms and legs now straightened), so weight now transferred off front wheel, the wheel naturally rises. I try not to pull bars back to maintain manual.

So far so good but im not sure my bum is where it should be as its over back wheel by now with extended legs, making it hard to figure out how i get the centre of gravity forward of the back wheel so i can hop.

Ive now got to the point where im thinking about it too much and am paralysed and front wheel drops and another hop failed.

Can someone tell me in absolute Tab A fits Slot A and Tab B into Slot B terms what should happen. Ive read a few sites but most say roll the bars forward. And back come up. What does that mean. Ie what would my arms be doing, what should my legs be doing, where should my shoulders, bum and centre of gravity be.

I know that I just need one Hop to get it. Videos dont help either, they are way to quick "you just roll bar forward and flick it up", Just? Just? Its so frustrating!
Current Stock:
Carrera Vanquish '08
Orbea Onix T105 '11
Carrera Fury '07

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Use pressure on the pedals to balance the bike. If the front starts to drop, push forward on the pedals. If it starts to get too high move your arse forwards and back off pressure on the cranks.
    Lots of practice.
    Chris Smith did a tutorial video which you should be able to find if you search for his name on Pinkbike videos, it may be on youtube but I'm pretty sure its just Pinkbike.
  • Yeah I watched this and was where I got the manual tip from (previously using rebound to lift front wheel and dropping like a ton immediately).

But this is where I lose it as he says roll forward and the video jerks at the moment he does the hop. . He also says drive from the hips not the arms on the back. I think this is the bit im fighting as I shift my weight round by my arms and legs. So what does push forward on pedals, kind of forces bum over back wheel, makes the manual last longer, but then makes it hard to lift back wheel.

So moving arse forward and taking pressure of cranjks, almost sounds like i should be almost jumping off cranks to get the hop...is that right?
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Get the manuals nice and smooth before worrying about the hop. Once you can hold it for 20 yards minimum then move on to the hop. It's not an easy move, you're getting in to proper street trials there.
    It's going to be very difficult on an xc bike, the top tube and saddle are a bit high.
  • Who says its the XC..... I could be a budding martyn Ashton :-) http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/m ... ike-35489/
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Will Nunez wrote:
    Ok So I can do a manual.

You're doing better than me then. :wink:
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    I can actually manual longer when I have to hop after than when I just try to manual, I can't wheely or manual properly for toffee though. I think it might be cos I am aiming for a target. How are your bunny hops anyway? Are you lifting front and rear wheels at same time or front wheel first then rear?

I started by hopping up a curb and then began to start a manual from further and further away.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • tobamory
    tobamory Posts: 101
    Nice to see this, over 20 years ago I was a BMXer and used to bunny hop like mad, Im now 15 stone and just got my new Santa Cruz, and have started the long road to fitness again.

I was out with the wife and Kids on an 18miler and there were speed humps in the road, I said watch this, I sped up and walla I cleared them YEHAAAA... still got it.. The next thing im gonna try is the Hop on the back wheel if I can remember how.

hehe keep going youll get there..
  • My son uses the excuse hes to heavy and so is the bike. Will make him read this. Saying that Ive still to get the hop. Manual is scary when you stop simply yanking bars up and do it properly, wheel comes up too easily !

Im 46 going on 15 and just showing my boys its never too late to learn!
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • FECES
    FECES Posts: 25
    WTF does he mean by "manual to bunny hop"? I know what a bunny hop is but I dont get what he means by doing it manually.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A manual is like a wheelie without pedalling.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I can't bunny hop on demand for sh1t, but if there's a log or little stream or something and I just ride and (do something) it works.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Steady feces, no need for WTF :?

Manual is getting front wheel up. ie a wheelie. Just using terminology in Chris Smith video. Previously had been yanking bars up hence centre of gravity in wrong place usually meaning wheel comes straight back down as weight is over bars not in centre
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • @cooldad thats what my buddies tell me, they can do it when they needit but cant tell me how! It just happens!
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • Kowalski675
    Will Nunez wrote:
    Steady feces, no need for WTF :?

Manual is getting front wheel up. ie a wheelie. Just using terminology in Chris Smith video. Previously had been yanking bars up hence centre of gravity in wrong place usually meaning wheel comes straight back down as weight is over bars not in centre

Do you have a link to the video?
  • FECES
    FECES Posts: 25
    cooldad wrote:
    I can't bunny hop on demand for sh1t, but if there's a log or little stream or something and I just ride and (do something) it works.

sh1t as in shít? (super high intensive training). A bit ott innit? In anycase shít can often do more harm than good as many people over do it and end up with health issues, hence the acronym. Also often mistaken for hiit (high intensity interval training) which involves an element of recovery and is generally far more beneficial from what I heard. Whatever, doing bunny hops is more technical and I wouldnt imagine heavy workouts alone would improve your ability to do them much.
  • cooldad
    No sh1t as in your user name. Almost.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • @Kowalski675 Sorry wasnt chris Smith its this one

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/How-to-Man ... -2012.html

also found this useful

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/h ... hop-27418/

Just found this tho which i intend to practice at weekend on getting back up first as a practice
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xNJR8W0YH4
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • Kowalski675
    Cheers.