My masters dissertation on happiness economics

tomallen
tomallen Posts: 34
edited January 2014 in The hub
Howdy everyone,

I'm a roadie (and long-time lurker on the road forums, where I've also posted this message) but I figured mountain bikers might be able to help here. I'm in need of a hand.

If you're interested in helping out with my social research project for my economics masters dissertation and have 5 (well actually 7) minutes free, then you're my new favourite person!

It's as simple as this: One developing line of research in economics relates to what factors in day-to-day life determine our happiness (suitably called 'happiness economics'). This research is undertaken by academics and public bodies such as the Office for National Statistics. In my masters dissertation I am hoping to further this research by gathering data through a very simple questionnaire and then analysing it.

Where you come in is with the questionnaire. It takes 7 (yes seven) minutes to fill in from start to finish and would be such a help for me in my project if you could help by filling it out.

Here it is: https://www.esurveycreator.com/s/040afae

If you could do that for me I would be very grateful, and if you have any questions please go ahead.

Tom

Comments

• tomallen
    Huge thank you to the people that have already filled out the questionnaire!

I have been informed of a problem by the guys on the road forum - anyone with a weight over 12 stone wasn't able to complete the questionnaire! This is now sorted, so I would really appreciate it if you could keep on going. Getting plenty of responses already!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Done it but the question about disability didnt quite match my circumstances. I have a long term health problem that is managed by drugs but wasnt sure if this counted as a disability. I dont consider myself disabled but I do have to manage my condition and it occasionally does stop me riding so not sure how to classify myself.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • tomallen
    Cheers for the feedback. I'd like to give a more descriptive option for health/disability, will try and work something into the questionnaire, although that isn't easy once responses have already been given, because those replies already given might become un-usable.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    IMHO the govt should spend more time concentrating on important things like digging the economy out of a hole, and less time on subjective matters which depend on the individual.
    And using the results to deflect attention from important things - "Income is down, unemployment is up, but on the bright side, people are 1.3578497% happier than last year."

But I did your thingy as I want you to do well and be happy, which will make me happy, and those around me happy, because I am happy and could be the beginning of the end of unhappiness in the world.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tomallen
    cooldad wrote:
    IMHO the govt should spend more time concentrating on important things like digging the economy out of a hole, and less time on subjective matters which depend on the individual.
    And using the results to deflect attention from important things - "Income is down, unemployment is up, but on the bright side, people are 1.3578497% happier than last year."

But I did your thingy as I want you to do well and be happy, which will make me happy, and those around me happy, because I am happy and could be the beginning of the end of unhappiness in the world.

Ooooh come one it's not all that bad! At least everyone that's employed to research happiness has a nice income! Then consider us students.. we pay to research happiness. No justice there!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Done
  • When do you have to hand it in?

Mines due on 23rd then I'm free!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and done the survey
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • When do you have to hand it in?

Mines due on 23rd then I'm free!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and done the survey

Cheers!

Not til january luckily! Although that means i've been doing it much slower than I could have been.. in many ways you're lucky!

Up to just under 300 responses now for the questionnaire, which I'm happy about. Would like to reach 400 still, so if anyone hasn't filled it out yet, it would still be very much appreciated!

Tom
  • paulc
    paulc Posts: 161
    Filled it out for you
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    You're one closer to 400.

BTW, well done for directing us to a proper questionnaire rather than just asking some daft open question on the forum.
  • It actually took me 8.26 minutes. Do I get compensation? It might affect my happiness if I don't, in which case I'd have to go and do it again, then the cycle would repeat. I'd be stuck in the cycle of depression.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    you forgot the question about 'how fkin ace are bike rides' :)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    It actually took me 8.26 minutes. Do I get compensation? It might affect my happiness if I don't, in which case I'd have to go and do it again, then the cycle would repeat. I'd be stuck in the cycle of depression.
    But if you do it again the whole questionnaire is invalid :shock: .
    Which will definitely make the OP very unhappy, then Cooldad will be unhappy (see above) and I'll be unhappy because I wasted 7 minutes. And now TheNorthernTrain is unhappy because I'm faster than him. And I'm doubly unhappy 'cos I made him unhappy.
    Is it Slickmouse's fault? That'd make us all happy again
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Done
  • stannie
    stannie Posts: 167
    I have done it.
    2 points I noticed
    1- I am a homemaker with no income as such so the questions about paying bills etc are not directly relevant to me. A question about household income rather than personal income may have been more appropriate.
    2- I have a degree and a PGCE so higher qualification than degree but not exactly a Masters - this situation is not accounted for so I just had to put "Bachelor Degree". A choice of "post graduate qualification" would have solved this problem
    Good luck with your Masters
    ....................................................................................................
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!
  • BigAl wrote:
    It actually took me 8.26 minutes. Do I get compensation? It might affect my happiness if I don't, in which case I'd have to go and do it again, then the cycle would repeat. I'd be stuck in the cycle of depression.
    But if you do it again the whole questionnaire is invalid :shock: .
    Which will definitely make the OP very unhappy, then Cooldad will be unhappy (see above) and I'll be unhappy because I wasted 7 minutes. And now TheNorthernTrain is unhappy because I'm faster than him. And I'm doubly unhappy 'cos I made him unhappy.
    Is it Slickmouse's fault? That'd make us all happy again

Interesting theories all of which I'm sure will have some support in the economics literature. But seriously, thanks so much for helping me out with this, everyone. Up at 350 responses now, which will prove really important for the analysis.
  • I have done it.
    2 points I noticed
    1- I am a homemaker with no income as such so the questions about paying bills etc are not directly relevant to me. A question about household income rather than personal income may have been more appropriate.
    2- I have a degree and a PGCE so higher qualification than degree but not exactly a Masters - this situation is not accounted for so I just had to put "Bachelor Degree". A choice of "post graduate qualification" would have solved this problem
    Good luck with your Masters

This sort of thing I'll have to comment on when I evaluate my data gathering. 350 responses down, I can't add another option now or it could potentially invalidate my results. Thanks for your help though, I'll use those two points.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    tomallen wrote:
    I'm a roadie (and long-time lurker on the road forums, where I've also posted this message) but I figured mountain bikers might be able to help here.
    Now there is your error, you see your results will look like the nation is bi-polar as all roadies seem to be miserable gits and all MTBers bordering on manicly happy.*

*No gross generalisations were used during the writing of this sentance.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    In your dissertation on happiness economics it is vital that you refer to Stafford Beer cybernetics and MIS) and to use the word 'Eudemony'. This will increase your grade.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Done.

Good luck.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    Also done - hopefully not too late for your dissertation.