Merlin 50% off STI's

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Just a heads up for anyone in the market for new or replacement STI's

Merlin are offering 105 (5700) and Ultegra (6700) STI sets at half price - seems like a great deal to me

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/r ... 6_673167_8

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Good spot - thanks for that

I owe you a beer ;)
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Wowser! 8-P
  • me-109
    OK, couldn't resist at that price. New calipers too!

So I have a few parts to swap over to the winter bike (n+1/2 here) and planned on building up the bits I need over winter. Now I already have them before I've stripped the summer bike!
  • Porro
    Porro Posts: 7
    Thanks! I was regretting missing out on the CRC price and then this pops along.

5700 set ordered, figured no discernable difference for me anyway :P. Anyone have some recommendation for good housings?
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Porro wrote:
    Thanks! I was regretting missing out on the CRC price and then this pops along.

5700 set ordered, figured no discernable difference for me anyway :P. Anyone have some recommendation for good housings?
    If it's the standard retail box, black cables are included.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    The listing states they are supplied without cables. Shimano or Gore would get my vote
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Did you go through Quidco for another 3% off..?

I am tempted by the Ultegras - have a brand new 105 full groupset, but have an unused Ultegra cassette and chain, and believe the Ultegra shifters will have the carbon levers, despite the picture appearing to just be black?

Do the Ultegra shifters have any benefit over 105, and will there be any compatibility issues with the 105 5700 parts?
    I assume not....

Also not sure if they will default be setup for a double at the front?
    Might give them a call tomorrow.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • me-109
    Yep, only doubles in the offer. At least that was certainly the case with the 105s. Had about 30 sets when I rang to check the very same thing. Given that they are going for more used on thiefBay, this has be up there with the Westbrooks' CR1s and the JE James' Ultegra calipers in terms of offers not to be missed.
  • daniel_b
    Me-109 wrote:
    Yep, only doubles in the offer. At least that was certainly the case with the 105s. Had about 30 sets when I rang to check the very same thing. Given that they are going for more used on thiefBay, this has be up there with the Westbrooks' CR1s and the JE James' Ultegra calipers in terms of offers not to be missed.

Thanks for that, have decided to go for it before they run out - I have one of those CR1's too!

Threads on here have cost me a huge amount of cash......

I opted for Ultegra ones, can anyone confirm - in the pic it appears to be a black lever, but in the description it says carbon, so what I am kind of hooping for a carbon finish, but I wonder if it is carbon, but just with a plain black finish?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Good spot. The Ultegra 6700's have a carbon lever but it's a UD finish so can look plain black from certain angles.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    meh i can get them for free on a saturday night
  • cenkee
    cenkee Posts: 71
    Me-109 wrote:
    Yep, only doubles in the offer. At least that was certainly the case with the 105s. .

pardon my ignorance but, does that mean I can only use these shifters with double cranksets but not compacts?

thank you
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    cenkee wrote:
    Me-109 wrote:
    Yep, only doubles in the offer. At least that was certainly the case with the 105s. .

pardon my ignorance but, does that mean I can only use these shifters with double cranksets but not compacts?

thank you

doubles or compacts..... just not triples.
  • Mart74
    Mart74 Posts: 111
    Maybe a silly question, but!
    How do the levers differ to these ones?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/r ... evers.html
  • daniel_b
    Mart74 wrote:

The ones you have listed come with gear and brake cables, the ones listed by the op do not.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Mart74
    Mart74 Posts: 111
    Daniel B wrote:
    Mart74 wrote:

The ones you have listed come with gear and brake cables, the ones listed by the op do not.

Ah!, thanks
  • imposter2.0
    Just wondering - has anyone received their levers yet? According to my account, mine are still 'in picking'...
  • Tempting, still not cheap as it's 50% off RRP not off the usual retail price ;)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Imposter wrote:
    Just wondering - has anyone received their levers yet? According to my account, mine are still 'in picking'...
    As is mine... but I only ordered it friday afternoon so I'm not expecting it yet!
  • imposter2.0
    Slowbike wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    As is mine... but I only ordered it friday afternoon so I'm not expecting it yet!

Mine were ordered Thursday pm. The reason I ask is that I just put in another (separate) order for some other stuff about an hour ago and it's been picked and despatched already...
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Mine were ordered on Friday morning but still in picking, which is unusual as usually stuff ordered up until about 4pm is delivered next working day
  • Vandiesel
    Vandiesel Posts: 506
    Excuse my ignorance but is that £100.00 for a pair of Ultegra 6700 STIs
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • imposter2.0
    Vandiesel wrote:

no - the ultegras are £160
  • Vandiesel
    Vandiesel Posts: 506
    Imposter wrote:
    Vandiesel wrote:

no - the ultegras are £160
    Lol, cheers bud
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • carrock
    still "in picking" despite being ordered 4 days ago- my guess is that they didn't actually have these in stock and/or have oversold them
  • slowbike
    I've just received email confirmation of despatch ...

Levers are on their way ...
  • imposter2.0
    me too - now showing as 'despatched' - with tracking too, which is nice...
  • carrock
    and me- wonder what the hold up was?
  • slowbike
    carrock wrote:
    and me- wonder what the hold up was?
    Prioritised the non-sales orders?
    Waiting on delivery?
    Prepared all the orders (I suspect many were for the STIs only) together?
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Good spot. Has anyone else seen the fizik shoes at planet x! Bargain. Id have some if i hadnt just bought sidis.