Upgrading 2005 kona coiler help plz

Maccafrumtarn
Maccafrumtarn Posts: 8
edited October 2013 in MTB general
Hi I am fairly new to the mtb world so please be gentle I recently bought a gt avalanche 2.0 which I enjoyed but soon learned it could not cope with the drops and downhill I was doing so I have purchase myself an stock 2005 kona coiler as a base and I am looking to completely upgrade part by part mostly used parts its is currently stock as sold all those years back stats are.
http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... del=Coiler
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.read on another forum should be looking at these but alteratives would be greatly appreciated Cranks - Shimano SLX
Chain - Sram PC 991
Chain Guide - E13 LG1+
Cassette - sram PG 970
Derailleur - Sram X9
Shifter - Sram X7
Brakes - Shimano SLX
Fork - Fox 36 Van R/totem/domain/lyrik/66
Shock - Fox DHX 5.0/4.0
Ps frame has just been powder coated so all stickers removed where is best place to get replace not stickers/decals.
Many thanks
Macca

Comments

• Just don't spend too much on it. The Coiler isn't a very good frame. For what those parts are going to cost you could just buy a better bike.
  • What freeride frame would you recommend I need 4 inch travel maybe 5 tops.
  • Just don't spend too much on it. The Coiler isn't a very good frame. For what those parts are going to cost you could just buy a better bike.
    Those bits will cost a fair bit and as above you may have been better to save for the bike you wanted. Does the drivetrain even need replacing? If it's ok keep what you have.
  • Not majorly no brakes are gd and drivetrain the ones I wanna change are front and rear sus front anything air 140mm-150mm travel must have adjust and rear shocks I need summat decent with 500lb spring then would be good started bike for me.
    As you can tell I am still learning the above parts was a reply to someone's post on pink bike so cheap but quality alteratives would be great.
    Thanks macca
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    edited September 2013
    Not majorly no brakes are gd and drivetrain the ones I wanna change are front and rear sus front anything air 140mm-150mm travel must have adjust and rear shocks I need summat decent with 500lb spring then would be good started bike for me.
    As you can tell I am still learning the above parts was a reply to someone's post on pink bike so cheap but quality alteratives would be great.
    Thanks macca
    In all honesty I would suggest you save your money, ride the Kona as much as you can and find out what you like and don't like, and keep saving up. Then you can buy the bike you want, will have a better understanding of what you want and your exact requirements.

This is not intended as a criticism, but spending big money on forks and everything else may not be the most sensible way forwards.
  • You would want a 150mm fork on this frame, the Totems you mentioned are two inches too long (same length as 200mm boxxers) and weigh a ton. If you want to get in to freeride or downhill a 150mm fork won't do you much good in the future. As for the shock, the spring weight depends on which shock you fit, a Rockshox or Marzocchi shock will need a different weight spring to a Fox or Cane Creek but they all make very good shocks.
    If you really want to change the fork look for a Marzocchi 55 or Rockshox Domain RC, you should get away with a 160mm fork. To get a good used Lyrik or Fox 36, with a good spec damper you need to spend a lot
  • Thanks just need something decent with adjust al losin a lot pedalling up hills. What rear shocks should I be looking at? I need a 500 or550lbs spring am just over 13 stone that's all I know.
    Cheers
    Macca
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Like I said, spring weight depends on the make of shock, not just your weight.
    If you want climbing performance you need an air shock, coil shocks don't have a pedal platform (pro pedal or similar).
    A fox RP23 would do you.
  • cheer pal av looked at sizes not realised back wheel has a huge buckle on it bike is on sun rim single tracks whats best to do see if I can get it repair or just fork out for a new 1?.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    The link to the bike doesn't work so can't see what the current spec is.

I bought a (used) Rockshox Domain 318 for £150 and I'm really impressed with it.

Wheels, I'd have a look on Superstar - you can get a pre-built set of Stan's Flows on Switch EVO hubs for £200 or if you're on a budget look at the DHX pre-built set for £130

Brakes - Shimano Deore or SLX.

The rest I'd just ride til it brakes and/or wears out and replace as necessary...if you're chucking it down freeride/DH trails that shouldn't take long :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Flows are too soft for downhill, really prone to denting when ridden hard. Mavic are still the best for downhill unless you want to fork out for a lighter rim, then it's the Spank Spike Race 28.
    Superstars DHX wheelsets are a little heavier but solid and dirt cheap.