Cinelli or Ribble

MitchBelfast
MitchBelfast Posts: 9
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Considering one of these two bike. Could you advise please by looking at Spec online?
cinelli saetta sprint veloce 2012 (wiggle website)
Ribble Evo Pro Carbon Campagnolo Centaur. (Ribble website)

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Not saying the Ribble is a bad bike. Lots who own them , love them. But, A cinelli is that little bit more special.

Oh, And the Veloce groupset is miles better
  • If you can get the Saetta in your size still it's a no brainer!
  • Thanks for feedback so far and Keep it coming... I want to make the decision asap.
    I currently ride a 2006 Cinelli and love it, but people say with Ribble you get a lot of bike including components for the money. Is the component set better on Ribble?
    Thanks again for taking the time to help.
    #teamwork
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Considering you build a Ribble. You can have the spec as good as you want. As you say from these 2, The Cinelli is a better setup than the Ribble setup you are looking at.
  • Didn't Cinelli last make a decent frame in about 2003?
    #teamwork
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    the cinelli can be ordered in any spec you like. I order from chickens cycles- the distrubitor i know how they work.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Not saying the Ribble is a bad bike. Lots who own them , love them. But, A cinelli is that little bit more special.

Oh, And the Veloce groupset is miles better

Veloce miles better than Centaur? :wink:

To the OP - before you make your mind up, spec the Ribble in Veloce. There really isn't much in it between Veloce and Centaur - mostly it's down to appearance and that might not be worth the price saving you get with Veloce. Might as well make the Cinelli and Ribble specs comparable - you'll probably find that gives you enough spare for a wheel upgrade which will really give the Ribble the edge. Mind you, the Cinelli isn't really a full Veloce spec anyway - they are being a bit disingenuous implying that in the name. Brakes and crankset are Miche. With Ribble at least you know the groupset you select is going to be a full groupset.

Can't say that the very compact frame of the Cinelli does it for me either but I daresay plenty like that look. I might or might not get the Ribble but I definitely wouldn't rush to buy the Cinelli.
    the cinelli can be ordered in any spec you like. I order from chickens cycles- the distrubitor i know how they work.

But presumably not at the Wiggle discount?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I have to say, the Cinelli does nothing for me, however I have not ridden a Saetta. It appears to me though that they are selling based on their name and history, not sure the bike is really that good.
    Also, how anyone (SmoggySteve) can say that the Veloce is better than Centaur, when clearly it is a step down in the Campagnolo order.....
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    If you can get the Saetta in your size still it's a no brainer!

+1

Love Ribble for the accessibility they bring to the sport and the excellent shop but this is an easy choice.
  • imrmike
    imrmike Posts: 30
    I've been riding the Cinelli Saetta (from Wiggle) for a few months. Absolutely love it.
    Just did a tour around Belgium with the bike - never had a problem with it and simply cannot get enough of it. There is oddles of upgrade potential with the Saetta. IMO there is little difference between Veloce and Centaur - Centaur looks much sexier though.

Also, here in Belgium you regularly see super bikes out on the road (they take it seriously out here)... yet as my riding buddies regularly point out - my Cinelli regularly gets 'eye raped' by those on some serious builds.
  • yes but someone who owns a ribble will likely say the same thing, afterall as a once great man once said, we all think we have the prettiest wife at home.

if they are specced to same standard and they both fit, then it comes down to the OP's personal preferences on looks and price.
  • Thanks for feedback. I am looking at them as like for like offers. One on Ribble website and the other on Wiggle for the Cinelli 2012 model.
    Anyone riding that Cinelli or similar with the mixed groupset? Only ever had a pure compagnolo or shimano set.
    Makes me a little nervous.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Not sure what you mean by "mixed groupset"?

My Saetta with 105 and Ksyrium Elite wheels is ace and cost me £1300 in total. When I first started riding I lusted after a Ribble bike but wouldn't look twice at them now except for maybe the R872. Get the Cinelli delivered and if you don't like it send it back but I will be amazed if you don't keep it, the Wiggle photos do no justice to this bike.
  • I got a Cinelli Experience from the Wiggle sale with a "mixed groupset" as you put it.

The important parts are Veloce, so the derailleurs and shifters. The brake calipers, crankset and cassette are Miche which I don't think matter as much.
  • Should add that price wise I can get them like for like.
  • I got a Cinelli Experience from the Wiggle sale with a "mixed groupset" as you put it.

The important parts are Veloce, so the derailleurs and shifters. The brake calipers, crankset and cassette are Miche which I don't think matter as much.

Thanks shamrock134 very helpful, much appreciated
  • This gives me another excuse to spam my pics. :D

I was going to get a Saetta, but I was too poor so went for the aluminium Experience.

i.ashx?&mid=80463905&mt=Photo&standardsize=1000x750
    i.ashx?gallery=4091054&mid=80413913&mt=Photo&standardsize=800x600
  • Spam away, nice wheels pal.
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    Nice. Taking the thread onwards, I'm contemplating using the Experience frame and building a bike up with decent spec components - Athena, Zonda etc. Anyone had experience or something similar. I know the Experience isn't carbon>
    Someone's just passed me again
  • This gives me another excuse to spam my pics. :D

I was going to get a Saetta, but I was too poor so went for the aluminium Experience.

i.ashx?&mid=80463905&mt=Photo&standardsize=1000x750
    i.ashx?gallery=4091054&mid=80413913&mt=Photo&standardsize=800x600

Nice bar tape. what is it?

The reviews I've read of the Evo haven't been great. I'm considering an R872 or Sportive Bianco when I buy next month.
  • 86inch
    86inch Posts: 161
    buzzwold wrote:
    I know the Experience isn't carbon>

Carbon isn't the be-all-and-end-all. There's nothing wrong with a quality aluminium frame. Plenty of manufacturers offer them. The overall quality of the ride is important, not the material the frame is manufactured from.
  • The bar tape is this... http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/BTC ... lti_colour)

I'm very happy with my Experience for the price. The ride isn't as "nice" as my carbon Rose but it is still a lot of fun to ride and I've actually set a lot of my hill PBs on the Cinelli despite it being a "heavy" 9.5kg with 2000g rims.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    yes but someone who owns a ribble will likely say the same thing, afterall as a once great man once said, we all think we have the prettiest wife at home.

Ahem...I think you'll find he's suddenly great again!
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    I got a Cinelli Saetta Sprint 105 from Wiggle for £1k in the sales last year, done about 3k miles on it and it is a great bike, frame is light and stiff and I couldn't recommend it enough. The sprint has the carbon steerer, not sure if the Veloce one does or not. The finishing kit is really good - mine came with Cinelli vai stem bars, really good saddle (rebadged prologo), carbon seat post, rubino pro tyres etc.I am still on the original RS10 wheels and although an obvious upgrade have been pretty good. Looks like the Veloce Saetta spec is a bit different, doesn't have the carbon post etc. Anyway, the frame is great and you wont see too many out on the road, I haven't seen a single other Saetta round Bristol/Bath in the last year, you see hundreds of Ribbles.
  • buzzwold
    86inch wrote:
    buzzwold wrote:
    I know the Experience isn't carbon>

Carbon isn't the be-all-and-end-all. There's nothing wrong with a quality aluminium frame. Plenty of manufacturers offer them. The overall quality of the ride is important, not the material the frame is manufactured from.

Agreed. I was hoping to stop a lot of people piling in with wonderful advice on why I should choose carbon
  • buzzwold
    The bar tape is this... http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/BTC ... lti_colour)

I'm very happy with my Experience for the price. The ride isn't as "nice" as my carbon Rose but it is still a lot of fun to ride and I've actually set a lot of my hill PBs on the Cinelli despite it being a "heavy" 9.5kg with 2000g rims.

Shamrock. The test weight is sub 9kg with the standard kit, so where did the extra 500gs come from? I only ask because I'm thinking of building up from a frame using Campy parts, Zonda wheels and reckon I should get closer to 8kg at the end.
  • I did use a crappy £5 weighing scale so it might not be that accurate! I'll double check tonight as I have a new set of digital scales.

M520 pedals are a bit weighty too.
  • buzzwold
    Look forward to the answer.
  • Digital scale says 9.3kg
  • buzzwold
    Thanks for that. Looks like unless I spend a fortune I'm only going to get mid to high 8kg. Weight isn't that important but I'd like to rock something a fair bit lighter than my Bianchi Via Nirone 7.