Maltodextrin + whey protein

cookymonster
cookymonster Posts: 107
edited October 2013 in Health, fitness & training
I heard of people mixing maltodextrin and whey protein together ?
what are the benefits of this ?
I use maltodextrin in my hydration pack with squash and I have a whey protein drink when I get home , but I have never thought of mixing the both ? benefits = ?

Comments

• Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    It makes a good recovery drink.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Several people claim that a small amount of protein consumed during a multi-hour ride is good for muscle repair. But the primary need while riding is water and carbs.

At the conclusion of a ride, it is usually necessary to replenish water, carbs and also helpful to consume protein (e.g. about 20 grams) for muscle repair and recovery.

If you do mix protein powder in your water bottle, be sure to thoroughly wash it every time. The protein powder residue in a water bottle is not easily removed by simple rinsing with water. I wash my plastic bottles with a few drops of dishwashing detergent and water after every use - they stay nice and clean that way.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Hi5 do 4:1 carb to protein ratio drink which they say is better for long distance work. I find I don't get the "hit" like some drinks as the protein slows absorbtion of the carbs into the body and on long rides keeps my stomach hunger free for longer !
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    the maltodextrin creates an insulin boost when consumed, which in turn makes the absorption of protein better

consumed during your ride, you get the energy boost from the malto

never been that convinced about consuming protein during exercise. tend to leave that till afterwards.
  • DCR00 wrote:
    the maltodextrin creates an insulin boost when consumed, which in turn makes the absorption of protein better

consumed during your ride, you get the energy boost from the malto

never been that convinced about consuming protein during exercise. tend to leave that till afterwards.

yes exactly as I have been doing , but all good info , cheers guys :wink: