Wiggins selfish

Comments

• jon208
    jon208 Posts: 335

Your whole argument is simply reductive. I grew up somewhere with ramps between 10-20%, I am not J-Rod. I grew up somewhere with no mountains yet I can spin away for hours up a mountain. I ride now on pan-flat roads in lots of wind but I haven't magically become a rouleur putting out big numbers as that would involve growing half a metre and putting on 30-40kg. I grew up somewhere with rain. Everytime I spend any period of time riding in the rain no matter what I wear I end up with a UTI.

Every time you ride in the rain you end up with a Urinary Tract Infection? Have you thought about seeing a urologist?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ^ Got a problem with your tubes*.

If you're really steaming about the entire GB team not liking watersports**, look away now.

World TT Champ Martin's winning margin for ONE day's racing over a mighty 56.8 km was 46s: 1.17% of 65:37 (3937s).

If Froome had won the Tour (21 days, 3,403 km) by a mere 1%, his wining margin would have been 3,022s (~50 mins) rather than the paltry 300s (including the final stage 45s group hug) gap over neophyte Quintana. Froome doesn't even respect his team jersey :evil: .

*Nasty
    **Wiggo does appear troubled. Pretty sure the others didn't want to tell the nation that they had no chance but were forced to spew the pre-race party line.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Just a note on the original point... Don't forget that each click on the DM website is good for them and their income from advertisers. Best to ignore DM links despite them always being very tempting.

I did enjoy Alistair Campbell's interview and also Stephen Fry's recent response to an uncomplimentary article.
  • jon208 wrote:

Your whole argument is simply reductive. I grew up somewhere with ramps between 10-20%, I am not J-Rod. I grew up somewhere with no mountains yet I can spin away for hours up a mountain. I ride now on pan-flat roads in lots of wind but I haven't magically become a rouleur putting out big numbers as that would involve growing half a metre and putting on 30-40kg. I grew up somewhere with rain. Everytime I spend any period of time riding in the rain no matter what I wear I end up with a UTI.

Every time you ride in the rain you end up with a Urinary Tract Infection? Have you thought about seeing a urologist?

If you read my post again, I said any "period of time", not "every time", period of time here is around the 3 hour mark and as to your question. Yes, I have seen a fair few urologists.
    ddraver wrote:
    TV are flogging the Surprise Surprise Horse again, Holly is presenting. Appears to be an hour of stuff to make my Aunt and housemate cry...

Ah, it is good that you can't get all UK channels on UPC.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    BigMat wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha! You know what, its all relative and I bet you're not. Just like none of us are better climbers than Cav.

Sorry ... but thats pure boll'ox. The average pro is not super human - they are the cream of the crop, but most strong cat 1 riders would be capable of hanging onto the gruppetto at the Tour. They may not be able to do it for 2 days on the trot, but thats the stamina you get with racing at the pro level every day. I know its off topic, but i see this statement so often it irks me.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    I have no problem with the whole GB team having a bad day, it happens. Perhaps if they had not used the rain as a reason, every one of them that was interviewed, we would not be having this discussion. I hate riding in the rain, I ride for enjoyment and being wet and cold is not enjoyable, but there again cycling is not my job.
    If it were me on that GB team I would not have mentioned the weather, I would have talked about getting caught behind crashes and the difficulty in chasing back to the group, oh.....and going badly, anyway.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    RichN95 wrote:

Who's Holly Willoughby? And what am I missing out on?
    Boobs mostly.
    Do they stand up proud while she is sunbathing ??
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I think Wiggins is either 100% committed or just might as well not bother. If Froome himself wasn't exuding confidence, his motivation must have been pretty low.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    edited October 2013
    emadden wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha! You know what, its all relative and I bet you're not. Just like none of us are better climbers than Cav.

Sorry ... but thats pure boll'ox. The average pro is not super human - they are the cream of the crop, but most strong cat 1 riders would be capable of hanging onto the gruppetto at the Tour. They may not be able to do it for 2 days on the trot, but thats the stamina you get with racing at the pro level every day. I know its off topic, but i see this statement so often it irks me.

Doesn't the 'winner' of the Etape typically take 30 minutes or so longer than the slowest pro does to do the same stage? A stage usually 14 or 16 days into the Tour?
  • emadden wrote:
    ...most strong cat 1 riders would be capable of hanging onto the gruppetto at the Tour.

Interesting...

When the Tour did its short stage from Modane to the Alpe in 2011, the course was 10k from Modane then the final 100k of the Marmotte route. The winners did this in 3:13; the autobus famously rolled in 25 and a half minutes down (missing the time limit), so did this the stage in 3:39. Knock off 10 minutes for the bit from Modane to St Michel de Maurienne and the autobus did 3:29 for the final 100k of the Marmotte.

The final 100k of the Marmotte is a lot harder than the first 75k, as it finishes 1300m higher than St Michel de Maurienne, but assuming the autobus averaged the same speed on the first 75k as it did in the final 100k of the Tour stage, then the autobus could do the Marmotte in a smidge over 6 hours, which is a bit slower than the Marmotte winner. So I'd surmise that to hang onto the autobus, you'd need to be a 6:30 Marmotteer, which would represent an exceptionally strong Cat 1 rider. For example, only around the top 30 in 2011 got round in under 6:30.

(All times including Glandon descent.)

Plus, of course, if the autobus knew they had some Cat 1 racer trying to stay with them, they'd go faster up hill for a while to drop them!
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    emadden wrote:
    ...most strong cat 1 riders would be capable of hanging onto the gruppetto at the Tour.

Interesting...

When the Tour did its short stage from Modane to the Alpe in 2011, the course was 10k from Modane then the final 100k of the Marmotte route. The winners did this in 3:13; the autobus famously rolled in 25 and a half minutes down (missing the time limit), so did this the stage in 3:39. Knock off 10 minutes for the bit from Modane to St Michel de Maurienne and the autobus did 3:29 for the final 100k of the Marmotte.

The final 100k of the Marmotte is a lot harder than the first 75k, as it finishes 1300m higher than St Michel de Maurienne, but assuming the autobus averaged the same speed on the first 75k as it did in the final 100k of the Tour stage, then the autobus could do the Marmotte in a smidge over 6 hours, which is a bit slower than the Marmotte winner. So I'd surmise that to hang onto the autobus, you'd need to be a 6:30 Marmotteer, which would represent an exceptionally strong Cat 1 rider. For example, only around the top 30 in 2011 got round in under 6:30.

Plus, of course, if the autobus knew they had some Cat 1 racer trying to stay with them, they'd go faster up hill for a while to drop them!

God, how de trop, actually using figures to illustrate your point. :roll:

:):wink:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Coriander wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Does the 'winner' of the Etape typically take 30 minutes or so longer than the slowest pro does to do the same stage? A stage usually 14 or 16 days into the Tour?

Yes....to be blunt
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    (I think DV was genuinely making a joke there RR ;) I hope so anyway, we don't need a second forum ars*)

If you were, DV...multo soz....mea culpa...
    You've not been the same since some sleazebag offered you an 8vgrand bike!
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Does this "story" really need to be in a daily newspaper? Ridiculous. Also, and I quote, "Wiggins can be riotously funny — he made a hilarious speech after winning the Tour". Really??!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Froome and Sky have been dickheads to Wiggins so I dont blame him for giving them the F U.

I do blame him from not hanging in there for the win himself though. I doubt he would have had the heart but it would have been good to see him try.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    edited October 2013
    Selfish ? No realist. With better bike handlers line Cadel Evans crashing out on Sunday, Horner breaking his ribs etc. the decision to pull out was the right one. The majority of the field thought so too including the likes of Alberto Contador, Quintana, and all of team Ireland and Australia.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    On the other hand it does give me a crumb of comfort that although he would crush me in any other aspect of cycling I can safely say I am a better descender than Brad if there is even a hint of rain.

Billy Liar :roll:
  • Christ, Holly Willoughby must BLOW YOUR F**CKING MINDS every Saturday night!

Reading thro the thread I came across this...now if she was blowing anything on Saturday night..I would hope it wasnt my mind!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    What a fantastic joke, must've taken a while to come up with that.

...I don't think Wiggins has done anything whatsoever in the worlds rr that warrants any speculation to any of his thought processes. It was a long day, the result of a win for the team was not realistic, the conditions were shite and I don't remember any prizes for completing the course. Non-story.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,228
    emadden wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Rubbish.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,228
    skylla wrote:
    Does this "story" really need to be in a daily newspaper? Ridiculous. Also, and I quote, "Wiggins can be riotously funny — he made a hilarious speech after winning the Tour". Really??!

Don't. Get. Me. Started.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    emadden wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

You mean like most strong Cat 1s were able to stay with Cav at the Abergavenny nat champs?
  • cougie wrote:
    Ah crap. Have they found out he was born in Belgium ?
    haha

My boss always calls him "The last Belgian to win the Tour"
  • ddraver
    FJS wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

You mean like most strong Cat 1s were able to stay with Cav at the Abergavenny nat champs?

Able to stay with Cav Racing in the Tour or able to stay with Cav riding up hills waving at the crowds?
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    Forgive my ignorance, but how do you go about becoming a cat 1-4? There's always lots of talk about them, and I'm wondering which cat I might be.
  • ddraver
    Everyone in the UK starts at 4, and depending on where you come, move up the categories each year...

It varies from country to country though, everyone has different set ups.
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    emadden wrote:

Interesting...

Playing Devil's Advocate a bit but the Marmotte is longer which of course slows your average speed and the stage you reference went off like a bullet with Contador attacking so perhaps isn't typical of many stages. Plus of course your top Marmotte riders don't all have cars handing up food and water (I know some do have support) and more importantly a peloton of over 100 riders to sit in as the front of the Marmotte breaks up pretty quickly if you look at videos on youtube of them coming over the Glandon.

It's not that far fetched to say a good first cat could hang in there if they were a good climber - a guy we went over with who was a first cat finished top 100 - you may be right but I'm not sure it's nailed on either way. Be good to see a few try!
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Forgive my ignorance, but how do you go about becoming a cat 1-4? There's always lots of talk about them, and I'm wondering which cat I might be.

Points make prizes. Start off with a full racing licence as a cat 4 and move up through the categories over time by earning enough ranking points through results at national and regional races.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Sorry, read as Wiggins selling fish.

I can see that's not right, now.
  • RideOnTime wrote:
    Sorry, read as Wiggins selling fish.

I can see that's not right, now.

He's the Modfather, not the Codfather