Show us your Rockriders

Davdandy
Davdandy Posts: 571
edited February 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Since we have threads on other MTBs,i thought i would start one for the Rockriders.

Here is my RR8.1,bought last week,just changed the saddle from the stock one.
Not the best pose,it is leaning against my van,i took the pic just after a little ride and couldn't be bothered doing a presentation jobby. :lol:

DSC_0003_zpsc5b207c8.jpg

DSC_0001_zps98e59537.jpg
Cannondale CAAD 8 105
Rockrider 8.1

Comments

• My 8.1 changed a few bits though :mrgreen:

DSC_0358_zpsef7f0470.jpg

Bit of a Decathlon fan got a Triban 3 too
  • aradoman
    aradoman Posts: 66
    My 2013 6.3, few upgrades, looking forward to some time off work to go get it dirty!

20130822_144447.jpg
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Davdandy wrote:
    DSC_0003_zpsc5b207c8.jpg

I like that colourscheme.
  • Davdandy
    It does look nicer in the flesh so to speak.

Nice bikes chaps,keep em coming.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    OP what is the saddle you changed it to? It looks a bit weird.
  • Davdandy
    It is from my old bike,it is a gel saddle i bought from Halfords ten years ago,it doesnt look nice i fully agree but it sure does keep my backside comfy.Comfort over looks for me. :D
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    A harder saddle that fits properly is usually more comfortable in the long run than a gel saddle.
  • Davdandy
    I have had it years and believe me it is comfy,looks ugly but its my ass and i like it. :lol:
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • 20131001_173802_2.jpg

20131001_173731_4.jpg

Some upgrades now fitted

- elixir cr brakes
    - 185mm front and 165mm rotors
    - epicon forks (would have preferred black but were cheap)
    - narrow wide chainring 32t
    - sram 5.0 rear derailleur
  • aradoman wrote:
    20131001_173802_2.jpg

20131001_173731_4.jpg

Some upgrades now fitted

- elixir cr brakes
    - 185mm front and 165mm rotors
    - epicon forks (would have preferred black but were cheap)
    - narrow wide chainring 32t
    - sram 5.0 rear derailleur

What size shock did you put on the back?
  • iirc was 190mm i2i with 57mm stroke?

Much nicer than the old tin spring that came on it!
  • Davdandy - cheers for the point in this direction, I'm all for this!

Liking the RRs on show here and to pick up on a couple of things:

1. I will also look at changing my saddle to something more comfortable pretty soon
    2. Need to get some better tyres for the winter weather - thinking coloured/white trim/wall tyres!

Here's my 8.1 - I'm a complete Noob, it's my first mountain bike and this was on my first ride. Sorry, it's a posing somewhat in a field off the Pilgrims Way near Charing, Kent.

Samsung Galaxy Note I
    PicsArt Edited

10424354404_2cf70abdfa_o.jpg
    B'Twin RockRider 8.1 by NMcNab_79, on Flickr
    Tavish
    Noob
    It's my first MTB
    ROCKRIDER 8.1
  • Davdandy
    Nice bike and nice pic,i like the black and white background with the RR in colour. :)
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Davdandy wrote:
    Nice bike and nice pic,i like the black and white background with the RR in colour. :)

What you can do with a phone these days...

Took it on my Samsung Galaxy Note I with Instagram initially, but loaded it to PicsArt after and used the Colour Splash function to pick out the RR blue. PicsArt is a great app if you're into that kind of thing!
    Tavish
    Noob
    It's my first MTB
    ROCKRIDER 8.1
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Got a 5.1 for the boy earlier. He's not ridden it in anger yet, apart from the great spec for the money I was quite impressed with the extras that came with it.......

The usual free first service, a front and rear light (not amazing quality but a nice touch), SPD pedals (wellgo), a chain stay protector, 2 years parts warranty and lifetime frame warranty. Should also get a £20 voucher through the post soon too as I could use my loyalty card. I'd usually be buying new pedals and a chainstay protector so I reckon those coming as standard will have saved me £30-40 already....

What size are people and what size bike did they go for? Jnr is 5' 5" but growing pretty quickly, the medium would be perfect for him right now if he was going to stay that size - but he already had a huge amount of seat pin showing. We ended up going for the large as we need it to last him more than 12 months, it didn't actually seem that much too big for him though - his didn't seem to be over reaching and still has 6" of seatpin showing. Guess we'll find out when we go for a blast around the woods tomorrow.
  • Kowalski675
    Lifetime frame warranty's impressive on bikes in that price range.
  • I'm 5' 6" with an inside leg of 28" / 29" and this puts me smack bang in the middle of most Small and Medium bikes. I opted for the Medium, as I found the Small just far too small on the 8.1 - I'm 34 so my days of growing are well and truly done... unfortunately!

I've been throwing it about the last couple of weeks and find it a perfect fit and a dream to ride!

I'd also champion the service received at Decathlon (both at the point of sale and after sale) and the warranty on the bikes. The Decathlon loyalty/ points card is also a great touch!
    Tavish
    Noob
    It's my first MTB
    ROCKRIDER 8.1
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    From the various threads I've read about RRs am I right in thinking the frames are coming up on the slightly small size?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Kowalski675
    From the various threads I've read about RRs am I right in thinking the frames are coming up on the slightly small size?

Sounds like it, if he fits a medium with such a short inside leg.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Seems like the large is fine for Jnr. Been round our local woods a few times and had a jaunt to Thetford and he's managed fine. He was climbing like a demon compared to riding his old bike (in our local woods, no hills at Thetford). Found some of the more techie bits a tad more testing, but that was probably down to his ability/getting used to a new bike.
  • My Rockrider 5.3 2013

pePwXsr.jpg
    SiNvKF7.jpg
    First proper mountain bike I've ever owned and really do love it.
    I know the cheaper suntour suspension gets slated by most people on here but my last front forks I used was from when I was young and thy were like a poko sticks so the xcr forks on it feel amazing to me. 8)
    Only my third time on the trail but been having a great time. Been going to Clayton Vale in Manchester. I was so pleased with myself today blasting past people with expensive FS bikes and fully kitted out looking like pro's and i'm there with jeans, hoodie and a hi top trainers on :D

I've upraded the pedals(DMR V8 pedals), handlebar (ABR Heats Aerolight) , saddle (Madison Flux) and sram x9 shifters). Got a sram x9 rear mech what I'll be replacing my x5 one with with.

The pedals and handlebars have made a huge difference to the bike. Feel so much more in control with the wider handlebars.
  • Rockrider 8xc alloy 18inch frame with sektor shox and xt/xtr set and avid elixir 5 brakes and mavic xride wheels :-)

i found the frame on ebay and had everything but the crank spare from a previous build so its now my winter ride ,really smooth and just generally a pleasure to be on ,the sector is 140mm but lowered it to 100mm with spacers and it seems to be working fine ,although it is locked out for the majority of the time as im doing 70/30 roads trails ,all in all cost about £450.00 to build with the shocks being the major cost being new , a real pleasure.
  • I bought a rockrider 8.1 in September, went out on it a couple times and really enjoyed the bike. I have an annoying (and expensive!) habit of spending money on equipment no matter what sport/hobby I am doing. I spend a fortune on my golf equipment as well as my bike.
    Upgrades so far:-
    V8 pedals
    Charge Spoon saddle
    Nobby Nic tyres
    Kore B52 stem (60mm)
    Fatboy Fun bars

Anyone have any other ideas/decent upgrades they can recommend?

All ideas welcome.
  • Has anyone upgraded their forks on the 8.1? I am considering moving to 120mm air forks and just wondering if it will affect the bike to much?