Wheels - £500 - Recommendations

2»

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    What kind of riding do you do? Is there any aspect of it you want to improve? Climbing, speed? Or do you just want some bling wheels to make it look pretty? Wheels that are at this price mark are going to be good in one area but not too good in another. A light cheap carbon rim might make you climb better but may not be the best on the flat at speed. Some really good aero rims could be a bit heavier than what you would really want to be pushing up a hill on. Then of course you could just get the shiney white elephants that shout "look at me" but add nothing to the bike in performance. Which way do you want to go?
  • What kind of riding do you do? Is there any aspect of it you want to improve? Climbing, speed? Or do you just want some bling wheels to make it look pretty? Wheels that are at this price mark are going to be good in one area but not too good in another. A light cheap carbon rim might make you climb better but may not be the best on the flat at speed. Some really good aero rims could be a bit heavier than what you would really want to be pushing up a hill on. Then of course you could just get the shiney white elephants that shout "look at me" but add nothing to the bike in performance. Which way do you want to go?

I am very confused hence why i came on here for some guidance but i think i've just confused myself even more :S

So basically for £500 which isn't an insignificant amount of money I can't get a great set of wheels?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You can get some fantastic wheels! Be aware there are compromises...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    So basically for £500 which isn't an insignificant amount of money I can't get a great set of wheels?

Depends if you want a 'great' set of wheels - or a 'great-looking' set of wheels. Both are available for £500 or less. But the 'great' set might not be 'great-looking' - and the 'great-looking' set might not be that 'great'...
  • Imposter wrote:

Depends if you want a 'great' set of wheels - or a 'great-looking' set of wheels. Both are available for £500 or less. But the 'great' set might not be 'great-looking' - and the 'great-looking' set might not be that 'great'...

OK i've decided style over substance isn't the best option! - I'd rather have something that helps me up my average speed, than something that looks good at a coffee shop
  • imposter2.0
    OK i've decided style over substance isn't the best option! - I'd rather have something that helps me up my average speed, than something that looks good at a coffee shop

So, go for something with a decent aero profile - but bear in mind that the improvement in average speed you are looking for will be miniscule - and something better served by improving your aerobic fitness.
  • Imposter wrote:

So, go for something with a decent aero profile - but bear in mind that the improvement in average speed you are looking for will be miniscule - and something better served by improving your aerobic fitness.

So what do you recommend for £500 then?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • imposter2.0
    So what do you recommend for £500 then?

What would I personally buy in your situation, you mean? A good, reliable, lightweight (for the money) wheelset - something like the Easton EA70 or Shimano RS80 24. Other opinions will differ....
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    As I said at the beginning of this post Mavic Ksirium Elite or hand builts just pick one. :)
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have not seen the OP's weight, annual milegae e.t.c. For £500 you can buy avery high spec handbuilt set and light too if that is needed.

Think DT Swiss R440 rim (24H,28H,32H) , ambrosio excellight (28H,32H) or H plus Son Archetypes 20H,24H,28H,32H,36H or some other on hubs to suit you needs. Spoke count will depend on weight, mileage and how aero you want them to be but the riding outlined I do not think that should be the number 1 prioritiy.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I have not seen the OP's weight, annual milegae e.t.c. For £500 you can buy avery high spec handbuilt set and light too if that is needed.

Think DT Swiss R440 rim (24H,28H,32H) , ambrosio excellight (28H,32H) or H plus Son Archetypes 20H,24H,28H,32H,36H or some other on hubs to suit you needs. Spoke count will depend on weight, mileage and how aero you want them to be but the riding outlined I do not think that should be the number 1 prioritiy.

6ft 2 - around 13stone do mainly weekend rides of around 50 miles with the occasional sportive - in the summer i go out after work so miles increase..

As i predominantly ride in either Norfolk or parts of flat london i don't seem to encounter that many what many of you would consider hills..
  • cycleclinic
    I live in suffolk and the "hills" we have are ust lumps really. Norfolk is even flatter but can be windy.

For you a 24 spoke front and 28 spoke rear with DT Swiss RR440 (450g), H plus Archetypes (480g)or Kinlin XR-270/300 would work well and would be as low as I would go. I have put the rims in order of increasing stiffness too. All of these rims are stiff enough to use Laser spokes, it not like you are honking up mountains all the time. The DT swiss and Hplus rims are the best quality. the Kinlins are light, siff and cheaper, pefectly good rims. The XR-270 (27m deep) on the front and XR-300 (30mm deep) on the rear is not a bad combination.

The DT Swiss RR415 would work at your weight aslo. They are 28H as that is all that is left now (production has ceased)- light and not prone to cracking if built right (I use them alot without issue and ride them myself on my winter bike I am 82kg). A set of these built with Laser and 28H Novatec A171 and F172 hubs would be 1550g and as it is what I ride on I know it works.

The other light weight rim option is the velocity aerohead and a 24 spoke front and 28 spoke rear would be possible with these rims. Should damage the rim at least these rims are in production now. Combine these rims with Miche hubs or if a 32 spoke wheelset does not not offend then why not campagnolo record hubs (shimano freehubs can be fitted)

The velocity A23 is another option too but the rim is of similar quality to the Kinlins XR-270 in terms of how round it is, round enough for a good build but not as perfect as the archetype but it is 30g lighter but heavier than the aerohead.

Hubs to go for in 24H and 28H drilling would be Miche (resonably priced 11 speed shimano/sram compatible and durable) Novatec (A171/F172, cheap light and durable) Dura ace 9000 (expensive light and perfect). DT Swiss hubs (350's for example) would work with the Archetype rims or the Kinlins as these are stiff enough for the bracing angle a rear DT swiss hub gives. The DT Swiss hub would be fine with the DT Swiss RR440 if Sapim Race spokes are used but this will make the wheels heavier ( abit but not enough to worry about). Hope hubs are another possibility but I don't think they have released a shimano 11 speed version of the Pro2 or Pro3 yet.

Campagnolo record hubs though are another excellent choice 32H and can have a shimano freehub body fitted (I have 2 pairs like this on the shelf). Builds with the DT Swiss or Archetype rims are not heavy and Laser spokes can be used all round without any issue given the spoke count. An archetype build with brass nipples and campag freehub would be 1680g and with shimano freehub would be 1720g (as the shimao freehub is steel). Using the DT Swiss RR440 or the velocity A23 would reduce weight by 60g so wheelset weights from 1620g are possible.

With the more expensive hubs you are buying longer bearing life and low weight. The Miche hubs are probably the best all round hub as they give long life but without costing too much.

for some handbuilt inspiration (you will find other wheelbuilder website will give more)
    I have just finished a pair of archetypes 24F/28R with DA 9000 hubs and laser spokes, brass nipples and they are stiff and weigh 1625g. An Italian customer is the lucky reciepent of these.
    P1010001_zps6c0993c5.jpg
    P1010014_zpse00c67f4.jpg
    P1010015_zps401aa4ba.jpg

Archetypes on record hubs
    Archetyperecordhubs_zps205a1c14.jpg
  • I live in suffolk and the "hills" we have are ust lumps really. Norfolk is even flatter but can be windy.

For you a 24 spoke front and 28 spoke rear with DT Swiss RR440 (450g), H plus Archetypes (480g)or Kinlin XR-270/300 would work well and would be as low as I would go. I have put the rims in order of increasing stiffness too. All of these rims are stiff enough to use Laser spokes, it not like you are honking up mountains all the time. The DT swiss and Hplus rims are the best quality. the Kinlins are light, siff and cheaper, pefectly good rims. The XR-270 (27m deep) on the front and XR-300 (30mm deep) on the rear is not a bad combination.

The DT Swiss RR415 would work at your weight aslo. They are 28H as that is all that is left now (production has ceased)- light and not prone to cracking if built right (I use them alot without issue and ride them myself on my winter bike I am 82kg). A set of these built with Laser and 28H Novatec A171 and F172 hubs would be 1550g and as it is what I ride on I know it works.

The other light weight rim option is the velocity aerohead and a 24 spoke front and 28 spoke rear would be possible with these rims. Should damage the rim at least these rims are in production now. Combine these rims with Miche hubs or if a 32 spoke wheelset does not not offend then why not campagnolo record hubs (shimano freehubs can be fitted)

The velocity A23 is another option too but the rim is of similar quality to the Kinlins XR-270 in terms of how round it is, round enough for a good build but not as perfect as the archetype but it is 30g lighter but heavier than the aerohead.

Hubs to go for in 24H and 28H drilling would be Miche (resonably priced 11 speed shimano/sram compatible and durable) Novatec (A171/F172, cheap light and durable) Dura ace 9000 (expensive light and perfect). DT Swiss hubs (350's for example) would work with the Archetype rims or the Kinlins as these are stiff enough for the bracing angle a rear DT swiss hub gives. The DT Swiss hub would be fine with the DT Swiss RR440 if Sapim Race spokes are used but this will make the wheels heavier ( abit but not enough to worry about). Hope hubs are another possibility but I don't think they have released a shimano 11 speed version of the Pro2 or Pro3 yet.

Campagnolo record hubs though are another excellent choice 32H and can have a shimano freehub body fitted (I have 2 pairs like this on the shelf). Builds with the DT Swiss or Archetype rims are not heavy and Laser spokes can be used all round without any issue given the spoke count. An archetype build with brass nipples and campag freehub would be 1680g and with shimano freehub would be 1720g (as the shimao freehub is steel). Using the DT Swiss RR440 or the velocity A23 would reduce weight by 60g so wheelset weights from 1620g are possible.

With the more expensive hubs you are buying longer bearing life and low weight. The Miche hubs are probably the best all round hub as they give long life but without costing too much.

for some handbuilt inspiration (you will find other wheelbuilder website will give more)
    I have just finished a pair of archetypes 24F/28R with DA 9000 hubs and laser spokes, brass nipples and they are stiff and weigh 1625g. An Italian customer is the lucky reciepent of these.
    P1010001_zps6c0993c5.jpg
    P1010014_zpse00c67f4.jpg
    P1010015_zps401aa4ba.jpg

Archetypes on record hubs
    Archetyperecordhubs_zps205a1c14.jpg

Wow info overload! - Do you have a number i can call you and discuss my requirements etc..
  • cycleclinic
    I have been acused of info overload before. There is a website link in every post I do or google thecycleclinic -there is only one shop of that name in the world I think. You will find my details easily.