Wiggins selfish

carrock
carrock Posts: 1,103
edited October 2013 in Pro race
The Mail are really going for it this week....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... -side.html

Comments

• Good old daily hate. Just imagine if somehow wiggo is also a foreigner...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ah crap. Have they found out he was born in Belgium ?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I'd like to think I'm impartial when it comes to Wiggins stuff, but f**k me the Daily Mail don't half write some b*****ks.

I suppose it's nice to know they only influence the thoughts of their own readers on any particular topic and their readers are generally thick as pig sh1t anyway.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Did his father hate Britain too?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    No doubt Wiggins is in complete agreement with that shower of shite at the Daily Mail when they sign off their diatribe against him with " let's not pretend Wiggins is anything like a paragon"... I imagine Wiggins is more than happy to stop pretending that...

Alistair Campbell on Newsnight: atoned for some of his Blair years by dismantling the Daily Mail's Deputy Editor Jon Steafel tonight...
    http://t.co/AYIn5wAJbW
  • Ignoring the source, the basic point is pretty fair. By all accounts he's a difficult person and rain or not, tumble or not, he put very little into Sunday with his own objective of a medal already in the bag. It vindicates the decision of Sky to not select him for the Tour, and perhaps makes picking the 2014 team a bit easier too. I seem to recall him contributing very little to Froome's win in Oman. Wiggo will never work for Froome on all evidence available.
  • Not denying that he can be difficult - cos clearly he can be - but re Oman he did do a shed load of work for Froome each day in the hours before the TV pictures went live. The likes of Richard Moore who was out there covering the race, commented on it in the articles filed.
  • Not denying that he can be difficult - cos clearly he can be - but re Oman he did do a shed load of work for Froome each day in the hours before the TV pictures went live. The likes of Richard Moore who was out there covering the race, commented on it in the articles filed.

I vaguely recall him in Oman on the front occasionally but you'd have thought the early donkey work would be done by the lowlier domestiques. He could easily have been doing the early work to try to get himself into shape for his early season objectives, as opposed to helping Froome but doing work with 100km to go. Oman excluded then, I don't think my main point is that off. The Yates book puts a spotlight on the difficult relationship between Froome and Wiggins.

With Wiggo, you just can't trust him to do the expected. Just listening to Rod Ellingworth on Richard Moore's podcast just now and he's saying it was the wet that did for him; had it been dry we'd not have seen him climb off so early. Funny, I seem to recall Sir Wig winning a wet time trial at Knowsley not so long ago, albeit one without descents. Ellingworth then contradicts himself by stating that you'd never know Brad was the same rider who came 2nd in the Worlds ITT a few days earlier, and he didn't know what went wrong. I interpret that, rightly or wrongly, as RE not believing the excuse he has himself given for BW's early abandon.

He'll put it on the line for who he chooses, be it himself if he thinks he will gain - he needed to win that TT to have a chance in ToB overall - or someone he doesn't seem to dislike i.e. leading out EBH/Cav on the sunkissed Champs in 2012.
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    Lordy Lordy. Was that article written by a five year old? I couldn't be bothered to read half of it as it comes across as the work of a salacious gossip columnist masquerading as a journalist that works for a sensationalist low rent publication with a questionable agenda........oh, wait a minute.

I'm with @argylflyer though. Wiggins is the main character in his own play and other characters will only get brief walk on, non-speaking roles.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Ride hard wrote:
    Wiggins is the main character in his own play and other characters will only get brief walk on, non-speaking roles.

So just him and every other professional sportsman in the world then...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    ddraver wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:
    Wiggins is the main character in his own play and other characters will only get brief walk on, non-speaking roles.

Maybe so, but the point is cycling is a team sport and if you get asked to do a job (whether as captain, D or SD) then you get on and do it. As talented as Wiggins is, he finds it hard to ride for others - well, Froome anyway.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • ddraver
    Ride hard wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:

Maybe so, but the point is cycling is a team sport and if you get asked to do a job (whether as captain, D or SD) then you get on and do it. As talented as Wiggins is, he finds it hard to ride for others - well, Froome anyway.

RR has detailed when he worked fro Froome up thread...
    - @ddraver

I vaguely recall him in Oman on the front occasionally but you'd have thought the early donkey work would be done by the lowlier domestiques. He could easily have been doing the early work to try to get himself into shape for his early season objectives, as opposed to helping Froome but doing work with 100km to go. Oman excluded then, I don't think my main point is that off. The Yates book puts a spotlight on the difficult relationship between Froome and Wiggins.

With Wiggo, you just can't trust him to do the expected. Just listening to Rod Ellingworth on Richard Moore's podcast just now and he's saying it was the wet that did for him; had it been dry we'd not have seen him climb off so early. Funny, I seem to recall Sir Wig winning a wet time trial at Knowsley not so long ago, albeit one without descents. Ellingworth then contradicts himself by stating that you'd never know Brad was the same rider who came 2nd in the Worlds ITT a few days earlier, and he didn't know what went wrong. I interpret that, rightly or wrongly, as RE not believing the excuse he has himself given for BW's early abandon.

He'll put it on the line for who he chooses, be it himself if he thinks he will gain - he needed to win that TT to have a chance in ToB overall - or someone he doesn't seem to dislike i.e. leading out EBH/Cav on the sunkissed Champs in 2012.

He was mandated to do a particular job in Oman by the team - and that's what he did. And which happened to be the work of a domestique. As example, Sky report with quotes on Wiggins from Froome on the stage where he took over as race leader

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 91,00.html

What more exactly do you want than that he does the job asked of him? (but which admittedly he didnt do on Sun)
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    We've also seen Wiggins work for Cav - lead him out for a sprint even - whilst wearing the yellow jersey as I recall!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Funny, I seem to recall Sir Wig winning a wet time trial at Knowsley not so long ago, albeit one without descents.
    He was on form that day - on the straights. Took many of the bends however "like a girl" - as Wiggo would say.

A return to the track looks to be good timing for Wiggo as it looks like he's lost his wet weather mojo and after all he's won in his career I wonder if he'll be bothered about getting it back.

But yeah, Wiggo was crap on Sunday. Froome said only Rowe and Cav did anything of note - and lets face it, there is nowt really that impressive about doing a couple of hours near the front knowing full well that the second the first hill arrives you'll be nipping off for a nice warm shower and leaving the rest in the rain for 5 more hours. :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Not denying that he can be difficult - cos clearly he can be - but re Oman he did do a shed load of work for Froome each day in the hours before the TV pictures went live. The likes of Richard Moore who was out there covering the race, commented on it in the articles filed.

Mods can we delete this, clearly off message.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Mods can we delete this, clearly off message.

Off your message perhaps, but totally in context with the point made by the poster to whom I replied.
  • ddraver
    (I think DV was genuinely making a joke there RR ;) I hope so anyway, we don't need a second forum arse)
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    (I think DV was genuinely making a joke there RR ;) I hope so anyway, we don't need a second forum ars*)

If you were, DV...multo soz....mea culpa...
  • Wiggo genuinely believes he has earned his rock star type status and seems to think he can get away with things others in BC cannot, this sense of entitlement leaves a bad taste in the mouth, and good on Ellingworth for coming out and saying it.

I am disappointed by the bickering and bad blood between him and Froome and its clear that they don'twork well together. The Worlds is a big thing and is a team event, Cav is every bit the super star Wiggo is but he is prepared to bury himself for the team.

The most embarrassing thing about the Worlds however is that the British team is unable to ride well in the rain, WTF! Those conditions tradtionally would have been described as favourable to the Brits I would have thought. The average keen UK cyclist does more grim weather riding than our European colleagues by virtue of the fact our weather is on the whole worse. And does'nt Wiggo live in Yorkshire or Lancashire, where there is lots of hills and it rains a lot? Does he abort and get his wife to come and pick him up if it rains? He needs to man up. On the other hand it does give me a crumb of comfort that although he would crush me in any other aspect of cycling I can safely say I am a better descender than Brad if there is even a hint of rain.

Are these pro's getting too pampered in sunny training camps in Tenerife, maybe Sky's next training camp should be Scotland or Wales in January as punishment.
  • ddraver
    Hoooooooooh sigh :roll:
    - @ddraver
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Wiggo genuinely believes he has earned his rock star type status and seems to think he can get away with things others in BC cannot, this sense of entitlement leaves a bad taste in the mouth, and good on Ellingworth for coming out and saying it.

I am disappointed by the bickering and bad blood between him and Froome and its clear that they don'twork well together. The Worlds is a big thing and is a team event, Cav is every bit the super star Wiggo is but he is prepared to bury himself for the team.

The most embarrassing thing about the Worlds however is that the British team is unable to ride well in the rain, WTF! Those conditions tradtionally would have been described as favourable to the Brits I would have thought. The average keen UK cyclist does more grim weather riding than our European colleagues by virtue of the fact our weather is on the whole worse. And does'nt Wiggo live in Yorkshire or Lancashire, where there is lots of hills and it rains a lot? Does he abort and get his wife to come and pick him up if it rains? He needs to man up. On the other hand it does give me a crumb of comfort that although he would crush me in any other aspect of cycling I can safely say I am a better descender than Brad if there is even a hint of rain.

Are these pro's getting too pampered in sunny training camps in Tenerife, maybe Sky's next training camp should be Scotland or Wales in January as punishment.

Ha ha ha ha ha! You know what, its all relative and I bet you're not. Just like none of us are better climbers than Cav.
  • I would'nt pretend for a second to be a better climber than Cav but I stick by my descending in the rain commet with Brad, I've seen the film this year, he's been hopeless. It must be the fear of snapping like a twiglet as he has zero body fat to cushion a fall.
  • On the other hand it does give me a crumb of comfort that although he would crush me in any other aspect of cycling I can safely say I am a better descender than Brad if there is even a hint of rain.

Keep dreaming. There's no aspect of cycling where Brad wouldn't crush you.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Yes sorry previous post was a joke - hope no offence caused.

edit - I mean my previous post - not the one immediately preceding this !
  • Yes sorry previous post was a joke - hope no offence caused.

edit - I mean my previous post - not the one immediately preceding this !

Group hug? :wink:
  • DeVlaeminck
    On Wiggo though I don't think it's clear if he just couldn't be bothered to support Froome/the team or if it was more the issue of riding on that course in those conditions he couldn't cope with.

Either is a possible but I tend more towards it being an issue of him losing his bottle - we saw it in the Giro when he couldn't follow a small group in the wet - holding position in the bunch in the Worlds is that much harder. 3 months ago I was very much of the opinion Wiggo was being written off too easily - 12 months after winning the TdF his road career was already being spoken of in the past tense. I'm starting to think maybe I was wrong.
  • Shock horror - hatchet job in DM!!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Cav is every bit the super star Wiggo is but he is prepared to bury himself for the team.
    Hmm, sort of. He rode at or near the front for a couple of hours (of a 7.5hr race) knowing full well he'd be off for a hot shower as soon as they hit the first hill.

Of course, unlike Wiggo he did at least manage to do the job he was asked to do on Sunday.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.