8 speed cassette sliding

Muttbunch
Muttbunch Posts: 11
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi i just got a wheel put together at halfords and have a question, he has put on an 8 speed cassette without a sprocket so that its a 7 speed, but the smallest cog stays put while the other 6 slide back and forth away from it leaving enough space that the chain could fit in between the two smallest gears is this normal as i have never had a cassette before

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Muttbunch wrote:
    Hi i just got a wheel put together at halfords and have a question, he has put on an 8 speed cassette without a sprocket so that its a 7 speed, but the smallest cog stays put while the other 6 slide back and forth away from it leaving enough space that the chain could fit in between the two smallest gears is this normal as i have never had a cassette before
    so why have they done this?

get the other cog fitted and then set the stops to allow you to use the 7 cogs you want to use. or gt them to fit a suitable spacer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks im gonna get a refund, charged me 40 quid but have the same part online for 17!! Will i need to change the chain or the front rings going from a 7 speed to an 8 speed ( buying an 8 speed shifter online)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope just set the mech to suit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Nice one cheers, just got t figure out which ratio i need now lol
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I think Nick means just the shifter, most 7 speed mechs will cover 8 just fine.

Another example of poor Halfords staff quality!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.