Where to lock your bike ...

mrtuk
mrtuk Posts: 75
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
Got to work a bit late this morning and found that all of the bike racks in the 'secure' underground carpark at work were full. (I say 'secure' because it's a shared tennancy building, and a lot of building work going on at the moment, so probably quite a lot of people have access!)

I only have a d-lock (no cable) and normally just lock through frame and rear wheel to a bike rack. So question is what do you think is best?
a) just lock bike up (to itself) and leave next to the others in the racks (in the underground carpark)
or
b) take bike back outside to a highly visible bike rack and lock it there

Thoughts? ... I went with option (a).

Comments

• This might sound obvious, but just in case it happens again is there any chance you can lock it to another bike? Of course you would need to know the owner and have their permission, but I would say that's a damn sight better than locking the bike to itself, or putting it on show to nefarious types outside.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • +1.
    Happens at my place occasionally.
    I normally lock it to a bike that I recognise and then find the owner to tell them what i have done.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • mrtuk
    mrtuk Posts: 75
    Ride hard wrote:
    This might sound obvious, but just in case it happens again is there any chance you can lock it to another bike? Of course you would need to know the owner and have their permission, but I would say that's a damn sight better than locking the bike to itself, or putting it on show to nefarious types outside.

Sounds like a good idea ... fortunately it was OK locked to itself for a day :-) I know a couple of others that work on my floor that cycle, so will find out what bikes they have for the future ... or just get up earlier! Cheers
  • Take it into the office if there is no space and leave it by my desk.
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Take it into the office if there is no space and leave it by my desk.
    won't your boss mind the OP leaving his bike in your office even though he doesn't work there? :twisted:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    Take it into the office if there is no space and leave it by my desk.
    won't your boss mind the OP leaving his bike in your office even though he doesn't work there? :twisted:

depends what services are going to be provide for looking after the bike :wink:
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now