Wheels - £500 - Recommendations

Churchill123
Churchill123 Posts: 341
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
So here's the question.. I've got around £500 to spend on a shinny new set of wheels for my bike..

I ride one or two times a week.. so 50mile weekends rides and some club runs sort of stuff.. What would people recommend?
I have been looking at Fulcrum Racing 3's which are under budget but didn't know if i'd get much more for my money if i were to stretch to £500?

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Mavic Ksirium Elites always get good shouts. :)
  • diamonddog
    You could go the hand built route as well for that money, have a word with this guy.
    memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=451173
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    American Classic Aero 420 are £500, they look nice and have cool stickers on them. Thats why I bought mine.
  • who makes good hand built's then? - Wheel smiths?
  • diamonddog
    According to some folk on here apparently they do.
  • diamonddog wrote:

Seem to be pretty pricey though too
  • SpainSte
    SpainSte Posts: 181
    I went for DA C24's on mine. Great wheels, light, quick etc. Not very 'blingy' though so if you want something that really stands out they're probably not your No1 choice!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    diamonddog wrote:

You get what you pay for...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    diamonddog wrote:

I do agree with you, it's just one set i saw which was £430 didn't look anything special at all - To be frank they looked pretty boring and crap.. I'm assuming they aren't crap?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    NapoleonD wrote:
    diamonddog wrote:

I do agree with you, it's just one set i saw which was £430 didn't look anything special at all - To be frank they looked pretty boring and crap.. I'm assuming they aren't crap?
    why on earth would they be 'boring' and 'crap' FFS? some of the questions on here, jeez ...
  • giant man wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    diamonddog wrote:

why on earth would they be 'boring' and 'crap' FFS? some of the questions on here, jeez ...

Ok let me rephrase it! - They aren't very aesthetically pleasing!
  • napoleond
    Aaah, you want aesthetics over function. Why didn't you say?
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Nowt wrong with aesthetics over function! :)
  • NapoleonD wrote:

I want something that looks cool as f*ck and is also very good at doing its job too
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    NapoleonD wrote:

I want something that looks cool as f*ck and is also very good at doing its job too

Everybody's different though, some people think a Ford Focus ST is cool as f**k, whereas it's about as far away from cool as you can get, some people like Dura Ace cranks and they look gopping. I know those are just my opinions, but I am right :) ...what about some Shamal Ultras in dark label guise? ...a bit over budget but are those cool as f**k?
  • napoleond
    Indeed. I think my Wheelsmith handbuilts wheels look cool as f**k. Some say boring.

1FD2DBC3-AED0-4660-B041-5802B7402B63-8167-0000071AAEA36553_zps04cd1558.jpg
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mfin
    Your tyres are cool as f**k on three levels, they're about as good as you can get, they have amber walls, and they are Veloflex. Dunno about the wheels though, but then again it's not the Fashion Police you work for is it.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Indeed. I think my Wheelsmith handbuilts wheels look cool as f**k. Some say boring.

Don't be factious! - And as others have stated what one person may perceive as cool as f*ck others may not..

In this instance i'm not that enamored with either your wheels or tyres - But that's my opinion - If you like them then great :)

I was simply asking for thoughts on good wheels that were aesthetically pleasing
  • I'm not sure that you can achieve 'cool as f**k' for £500.
    You can get a really nice pair of handbuilt and have some change.
    Subjective of course :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    994811_10152894905795532_463285252_n.jpg
    Do you consider these aesthetically pleasing?
  • napoleond
    Now I think they're minging to look at but are supposed to be great.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    NapoleonD wrote:

Don't be factious! - And as others have stated what one person may perceive as cool as f*ck others may not..

In this instance i'm not that enamored with either your wheels or tyres - But that's my opinion - If you like them then great :)

I was simply asking for thoughts on good wheels that were aesthetically pleasing

That's the point, I find my lo pro wheels very aesthetically pleasing. Others don't. So the best thing for you is to look at all the wheels in your budget and pick the ones that look the best...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    So really what the OP is saying is 'I have £500 to spend on wheels, which ones make me look really cool?"

Of course some handbuilts don't look that exciting but that hardly matters if you are stuck at home after breaking a spoke on your 'cool' factory wheels and your LBS have said it will take two months to get a replacement.
  • mfin
    The OP doesn't want to know what people think is cool but he wants to know what people think is cool.

Let's not confuse him any more cos he obviously knows what he wants but he doesn't know what he wants.
  • napoleond
    Not cool
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    NapoleonD wrote:

I agree with this, not sure if it is cool to train or leisure ride on bling(carbon) clinchers imo.I'm happy with my handbuilt wheels by wheelsmith.
    g0ta.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

@NapD how would you rate your veloflex tyres against my pro race 4's which i'm happy with.
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    Plain Planet X destickered may give you the look you are after for £500 but there is always a price to pay somewhere.
    Remember that wheels spin so most wheels look much of a muchness when riding.
    However if cool is a priority you may be happy to accept weight which is never a problem when stationary!
  • napoleond
    Not ridden Pro Race 4s so can't comment.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • vfast1
    vfast1 Posts: 98
    2013 Mavic Ksyrium Elite S.

That is all.
    Winter Road - 2014 Boardman Sport
    MTB - 2012 Canyon Nerve XC 7
    Summer Road - 2012 Cannondale Supersix 105 Liquigas Colours