new brakes

jamesstewart
jamesstewart Posts: 3
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi, looking to upgrade some old slx brakes. Looking for lightweight and power these will be going on a carbon hardtail.
Anybody know what to get? Looking at these Formula T1S brakes supposed to be RX lever and The One calipers so sounds a good bit of kit for the set for £166 heres the link
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... r-set.html

Is this worth going for or would anyone have any other suggestions around that price bracket?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shimano Deore XT
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Hi, looking to upgrade some old slx brakes. Looking for lightweight and power these will be going on a carbon hardtail.

Please don't take this the wrong way - it is a serious suggestion - but you may as well get some new SLX brakes.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Well crc have XTs for under £70 per brake so might be the best way to go, take it knowone thinks much to the formulas just seemed a good deal with the rotors aswell
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Personally I would go for some Shimanos from Merlin. Have bought three sets over the last few months there's not a lot of difference between Deore/SLX/XT but there is a difference.

For £90/pair the Deores are incredible value for money. The levers lack the tool-free adjusters of SLX/XT but once they're set up they don't need any further attention. The free stroke adjustment on the XT models is really only of any use if you prefer nothing to happen for a moment when you pull the levers :| The Deore caliper is different to the SLX/XT caliper and looks a bit more workmanlike with its split-pin pad retainer and non-banjo hose connector but in practice it works just as well. The only real difference is that the XT levers have a superb action - there's no up-and-down play on the lever and the feeling of precision when you braking is quite addictive. The Deores and to a lesser extent the SLXs feel a little bit wooden and dare I say it 'loose' in comparison but it's the sort of thing you'd probably only notice when swapping immediately from one to the other.

In terms of performance they are pretty much indistinguishable they all have plenty of power and modulation its just that the XTs and to a lesser extent the SLXs go about it in a refined, precise kind of way.

£90 for the Deores £140 for SLX or £160 for XT? Personally I think the XTs are worth £20 more than the SLXs but Deore is by far the best vfm.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    personally i love the formula's (got a set of the ones) and think they perform better than the shimano's, hoever not leaps & bounds better than the XT's. Given the price difference (you normaly have to buy rotors & spacers seporate with formulas) i would probably go for the XT's
  • Guys, speaking of XT's
    I've been searching the net for the best price on a full set, cheapest I've found is £150 delivered, via evilbay (over seas seller), can you get "fake" Shimano stuff ?
    I've also found a set in the UK (evilbay again) for the same price and I cant help thinking that summit ain't right :?
    The UK seller is more than happy for me to collect as I'm only a stones throw away from him.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    None of these are really light weight mind. I'd look at magura.
  • bails87 wrote:

Added to basket
    180.80 € equal to 150.88 GBP according to the
    current ECB reference rate

At paypal checkout
    £156.70 GBP
    PayPal Conversion Rate as of 1 Oct 2013: 1 British Pound = 1.15387 Euros
  • supersonic wrote:
    None of these are really light weight mind. I'd look at magura.

Any particular model number in mind ?