cannot get tyres on Ultegra wheelset

daffyavfc
daffyavfc Posts: 237
edited October 2015 in Workshop
As above

I cannot believe how difficult it has been to get my tyres on a new ultegra wheelset, I've never known anything like it. I'm presuming it's because they take Tubeless tyres as well? but my ultra gatorskins 25mm have no chance of going on. I've actually snapped a Topeak tyre lever in the process and those are hard buggers.

Any advice as I'm going to throw them through the window at this rate.
I've read mixed reviews since buying them in relation to not getting them on.

thanks

Comments

• tubeless rims are always "tighter".... tried the washing up liquid?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Never tried tubeless, but finishing at the valve always workes for me!
  • the tyres have the metal bead in which is nowhere near getting on at the end, I'm concerned I'll put the wheels out of true given how much force I'm having to exert and wouldn't want a puncture at the road side trying to get them off and on, God awful wheelset with these tyres.
  • that's it, I've been trying for 30 mins and looked at the internet and YouTube and have no skin remaining on my thumbs or palms, absolutely effing fuming. Sorry about the language there. I cannot put into words how frustrating this is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anger management session required :)
  • Retrurn them... you don't want to be in the middle of nowhere to fix a puncture.... get a set for normal clinchers
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I bought a pair of Vittoria Open Corsas for my Campag Neutrons. They don't fit. The Neutrons have a very shallow rim and the Vittorias, for some unfathomable reason, have a diameter 6mm smaller than my other tyres :rolleyes:. They were probably even harder to get off again than they were to put on. Completely unuseable therefore on the road.

So, if you want to keep the wheels, find some larger diameter tyres (which, really should be a ridiculous comment) or do as Ugo says and return them.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    I didn't have any problems slipping a set of GP4000S onto Ultegra rims. Bu they are folding so that may make a difference?
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Put folding 4000s on Ultegra 6800, it was tight but doable. I got the one side fo the tyre on fine, put the tube in (with a bit of air in it), then when putting on the final side it got tricky. I can do this on 9000 C24's by hand easy but the 6800's are tougher. The thing that helped for me was ensuring that the tyre bead from both sides of the tyre was in the middle of the rim, not sat in the raised sealed bead bed at the edge, so it dropped into the bigger void and allowed more room on the opposite 180 deg side of the rim. This is easier to say when do, but if I pinched the tyre together so both beads were touching with the tube in the middle, then pushed them into the middle of the rim, so that they effcetively touched where the end of the spokes would be (if it wasnt tubeless) so fartest away from the braking edge, then this allowed me to pull more slack on the opposite side fo the wheel. I just did this at the bottom of the wheel, then placed that on the ground to hold it in place, then worked by hands round the wheel, one one way and the other the opposite way at the same time, repeating till I came to where I could no longer get the tyre over, this then gave me slack to pull the tyre over further and then I repeated, doing this finally gives enough slack to get the whole thing on by hand. Not the easiest and trickeier than normal wheels, but once you get the knack, is easily repeatable.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    ^^^^^This. Make rure the beads are sat in the middle of the rim as you are pushing the last bit over. If you already are then hoy wheel thru the garage window and return the tyres and go for pint.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    has same in past, I got rid of the tubeless ultegras and got normal, be serious problem if puncturing and conditions are cold etc.
    I've also ceased using Michelin tyres, prefer Scwalbe which I can put on with my hands, so they might be best for tubeless, otherwise sell or return them.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • daffyavfc
    Hi

I'm going to try non metal beaded tyres first as I'll have to sell the wheels. Bought from Ribble a few months ago and won't be able to return. Was waiting for my cycle to work scheme bike hence early purchase in excitement! Numptee

Really like the look and price of the wheels so will try again tomorrow, will update you on the state if my thumbs and palms then! The cold light if day today has put me in a positive frame of mind, for how long we'll see
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,320
    Even folding tyres can be pretty tight. The Michelins on Campag wheels are a pain-in-the-4rse until you've taken them off a few times. At least folding tyres will stretch a little unlike metal beading.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • daffyavfc
    hi, that's my (hopeful) thought also.
    will update tomorrow, with good news, I hope.
  • daffyavfc
    t4tomo wrote:
    ^^^^^This. Make rure the beads are sat in the middle of the rim as you are pushing the last bit over. If you already are then hoy wheel thru the garage window and return the tyres and go for pint.

I knew there was a good reason why I asked you guys questions and for help, because after following the quote above and other advice, I got the tyres on with minimal thumb wear!

As you stated, I put the tyre that was already on the wheel in the centre of the rim which created more slack for the last bit to go on. Something as obvious and simple as that has made my day, I can now commute in tomorrow in the rain :)

thanks
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Rolf F wrote:
    I bought a pair of Vittoria Open Corsas for my Campag Neutrons. They don't fit. The Neutrons have a very shallow rim and the Vittorias, for some unfathomable reason, have a diameter 6mm smaller than my other tyres :rolleyes:. They were probably even harder to get off again than they were to put on. Completely unuseable therefore on the road.

So, if you want to keep the wheels, find some larger diameter tyres (which, really should be a ridiculous comment) or do as Ugo says and return them.

I fitted some Open Corsas CX recently to Mavic Aksiums. Very easy, just light thumb pressure required. Open corsa SR are bit meatier but still straight forward.

This video shows a guy in his 70's mounting much harder to fit tyre quite easily using toe straps or equivalent. It seems modern man is a weakling :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4
  • hi
    hope i can revive this thread ok
    just got my new ultegra 6800 wheelset

can i use tyre levers on them?
    this was attached to the hub, over the tubeless valve

does this just mean do not use levers over a spoke join?

i have always used tyre levers to get tyres on and off so bit confused

thanks
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    hi
    hope i can revive this thread ok
    just got my new ultegra 6800 wheelset

can i use tyre levers on them?
    this was attached to the hub, over the tubeless valve

does this just mean do not use levers over a spoke join?

i have always used tyre levers to get tyres on and off so bit confused

thanks

Probably more to do with the fact that on a tubeless rim there is a recessed bead machined into the rim so that a tubeless tyre can be seated properly to maintain the required airtight seal. Although a clincher rim will have a similar bead the integrity of the bead for a tubeless tyre is much more critical

The use of tyre levers - particularly metallic ones may risk damaging the recessed area and lead to an unsatisfactory seal and slow (or fast) deflation of the tyre. The use of sealant might combat the problem but the damage will always be a weakness.
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    Or another attempt of a company to waive their responsibility. "Did you use a lever? Oeps, we can't help you...".
    As long as you're cautious an use a synthetic lever (like the VAR) you will be fine. Especially tubeless rims in combination with tubeless tyres can be a pain in the ass.