Ultegra 6800 gear problems

ikeaguy
ikeaguy Posts: 3
edited October 2013 in Workshop
I chose the new 11sp ultegra groupset for my new bike and like it, apart from the gears.

Front mech is spot on but shifting up the rear cassette (onto larger cogs), the gear shift happens way before the click on the lever, so if I release the lever once the gear has shifted it will fall back down the cassette. Push too far on the lever and it shifts 2 gears. So I have to push past the gear change and listen for the click on the lever to make sure the gear engages. With traffic and wind noise, this isn't practical and, right now, I'd rather have my old 10sp 105's which never missed a gear.

Is my set up wrong or is this how 11sp gears are?

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    its just needs tweeking....winde the barrel adjuster in 1/2 a turn and try again...if you get really stuck take it to your LBC
  • +1. The new Ultegra is fantastic when properly adjusted.
  • turnerjohn wrote:
    its just needs tweeking....winde the barrel adjuster in 1/2 a turn and try again...if you get really stuck take it to your LBC

OK, so it's just the cable tension. Thanks for the help.
    Shame though - I'm here because I'd already been back to the LBC who built the bike and was told the adjustment was perfect.
  • If it's a new bike then your outers may just need to settle into the ferrules fully. It's normal to have to make a few adjustments in the first couple of hundred miles but after that it should settle down for the forseeable.
  • ikeaguy wrote:
    turnerjohn wrote:

OK, so it's just the cable tension. Thanks for the help.
    Shame though - I'm here because I'd already been back to the LBC who built the bike and was told the adjustment was perfect.

The difference is that the indexing has been set with the bike on a workstand. When it's been ridden there can be a difference the chain being under tension and particularly with the FD.