First sportive help required !

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
I have entered the Stokesley white horse sportive 68.5 hilly miles.
Never done a sportive or any organized ride before .
I need some tips , , ride starts at 8.00 am what time do i need to turn up ? I have entered on line do you get a number on the day ? clothing ? Spares ?
I know these seem obvious to those of you who have done loads of sportives but believe me I do need help.
Looking forward to some help .#
regards
ILG

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    There will be instructions on the website. Sometimes they send you through a pack, otherwise turn up the day before to collect it
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    There's a rider's manual on the website - sign on starts at 7. Wear what you would take for a long ride in September, check the forecast to see whether you need overshoes, mudguards. Either way take a waterproof, rations (usual stuff, don't go experimenting), + tools like multitool, inner tube, pump.
    It's not a race so don't skimp on things that might leave you uncomfortable later on in the ride.
  • Just pack your gear the night before, check the weather forecast on the morning and just dress as you would for a long ride, if it's nailed on bone dry no need for a rain jacket, if it's meant to be warm don't take cold weather gear just in case. If they have an emergency number take it with you and don't feel you need to take the kitchen sink round - if they provide food stops then just take a couple of bars and some money for emergencies.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Wiggle slung up a guide to riding sportives, includes bits on gear & foods etc, here is the link

http://guides.wiggle.co.uk/the-wiggle-s ... ampaign=sg
  • It varies. The Durham Beast you get your number in the post a few weeks before. Wiggle gives you a number on the day. Evans don't give you anything.
  • Thanks for the info chaps.
    Things are a little more clear now.
    Recieved an e mail including the event information, looks wall organized.
    All i have to do is gear up ,turn up and man up.
    regards
    ILG
  • did it.
    Great ride, very well organized .
    Beautiful countryside.
    68.5 hilly miles in 3.55.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Jolly well done.
  • Gethinceri wrote:
    Jolly well done.
    Many thanks .
    regards
    ILG
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Excellent
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    First of many I hope. Glad you enjoyed it and a decent time too
  • Have got the bug now, going to have a look around for a challange in spring.
    regards
    ILG
  • Nice job, you'll be wanting to do one every week now!