wheelset investigation

top_bhoy
top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm currently running ona 2009 Kona Kuna, a wheelset using Sun DS2-XC. The bike is nearly 4 years old and the rear wheel has recently been breaking spokes for no apparent reason. I use the bike primarily as a commuter (complete with rear panniers) and most riding is on cyclepaths and inner city roads.

The cost to keep the rims and replace only the spokes is going to be about £180 (build + spoke cost). I'm thinking I could get a complete new wheelset for around that money which would be better or probably no worse than what I currently use. Any suggestions on a decent wheelset around that price? A wheelset which interests me and is in the ballpark cost is the Fulcrum Red Power Mtb Wheelset (refer to Wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-red-power-mtb-wheelset/. I run a slick tyre, size 26x1.6. Does anyone have experience of using these wheels bearing in mind my main aim is to carry a loaded pannier and survive potholes. :P

Cheers

Chris

Comments

• dtp
    dtp Posts: 9
    The rebuild sounds pricey.

Do you know what's causing the spokes to break?

I've got a 2007 bike and the nipples keep breaking (apparently alloy doesn't last as long as brass), my lbs quoted £35 + parts (20p per nipple) for them to rebuild a wheel.

£180 sounds like some seriously pricey spokes (which it might be!) but I would've thought a commuter bike isn't in need of anything too flash/expensive.
  • Superstar build. Stan's Crests on Switch Evo's...£180. Bang on the money
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Superstar build. Stan's Crests on Switch EVO's. £180...bang on the money!

Will save you a good chunk of weight to

Trek Session 8
  • £180 is way too expensive for a rebuild. I paid £165 to have my downhill wheels rebuilt including a new pair of rims (£60 each rrp) and several new spokes.
  • top_bhoy
    £180 is way too expensive for a rebuild. I paid £165 to have my downhill wheels rebuilt including a new pair of rims (£60 each rrp) and several new spokes.
    Apologies guys, I should have explained a bit more. I'm currently living in Oz and in Oz, cycling prices it seems at times, are twice the cost of anywhere else on the planet. My wages aren't twice the size :cry: . Although the occasional bargain can be had, I rarely purchase any cycling related stuff from the shops here it is simply too expensive. I don't have the facilities to do some stuff and the mechanic guy I get to sort out some of the bigger jobs is a top bloke, being meticulous and having an attention to detail. While I recognise he has the shop overheads to cater for, I can't get my head around spending that sort of money and still having 4 year old budget rims at the end of it.

I'll investigate those superstar Switch EVO's.
  • top_bhoy
    Final question, when looking at wheels there are options on the adapter size available. What does this refer to? The Kuna wheels simply slot into position and held there by a quick release skewer I don't see any it having any adapter fitted - but I'm not sure what I'm really looking for :-)
  • If you're looking at the Superstar webby - just select 'Standard QR' or 'QR Adapter' then

Trek Session 8