General cycling problems

beniwill
beniwill Posts: 2
edited October 2013 in MTB general
I am starting this new topis as a university project to find out what problems cyclists come across form day to day. If you could list the problems that you or your friends have come across within the sport however big or small. They can be anything from problems with finding where to ride, problems with the bike itself, aspects missing from the sport and general problems. So feel free to post your problems here thanks!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    My main problem is sadness at the waste of my tax money on education.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Like him ^^^^

And reading drivel instead of riding.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Finding enough time to ride. Finding enough skill. And getting older is not helping.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Work, it gets in the way of cycling.
  • Finding time and money is difficult. Trying not to get frustrated with regular injuries can be hard.
    And a national downhill race series without a single round in England next year is going to cost a heap of cash.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    If you want to get any meaningful data, you're going to have to think out your question in a more structured way and maybe knock up one of those online survey things.
  • I did my uni thesis years ago. As above structure a decent survey and I will fill it in . The internet wasn't invented so I had to foot slog and interview people .
  • Age is my biggest problem, Find a way to reverse the process.
  • ScareyJ wrote:
    Age is my biggest problem, Find a way to reverse the process.

Buy a dirt jump bike
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    I did my uni thesis years ago. As above structure a decent survey and I will fill it in . The internet wasn't invented so I had to foot slog and interview people .

Forget the Internet - I didn't even use a PC during my time at University. My thesis was typed on an electric typewriter!

Back on topic, as others have said, decide what information you're after then put out a survey.
  • I just fixed a puncture.
  • slickmouse
    slickmouse Posts: 155
    edited September 2013
    beniwill wrote:
    I am starting this new topis as a university project to find out what problems cyclists come across form day to day. If you could list the problems that you or your friends have come across within the sport however big or small. They can be anything from problems with finding where to ride, problems with the bike itself, aspects missing from the sport and general problems. So feel free to post your problems here thanks!

il have GO for you ? them barriers the council put up to stop Mbikes, fed up with getting off every time i get a bit of speed up,

dog walkers with extendible leads that try and Garrot me

bike shops employing the mentally challenged in the spares/service dept

Wilkinson not stocking 26 in inner tubes with presta valve, meaning i have to drag in to town

ligth weight tyres that have the puncture resistance of tissue paper

bike lights that fall off within 600 yards of being fitted

pumps that only work once

nettles

low trees that pull my wooly hat off so i have to keep stopping and getting it back

getting dog muck on my knobblys, so the wife wont let me brink it in

the extortionate cost of disc pads
  • Getting out of the door in the first place. Once I'm out, and in the saddle, it's all good...
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    slickmouse wrote:
    beniwill wrote:

low trees that pull my wooly hat off so i have to keep stopping and getting it back

Why aren't you wearing a helmet?
  • welshkev wrote:
    slickmouse wrote:
    beniwill wrote:

Why aren't you wearing a helmet?

i only wear the wooly hat to stop the low trees scraping my head
  • cooldad
    So would a helmet, plus stop you scrambling your brains more when you hit a big one.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    So would a helmet, plus stop you scrambling your brains more when you hit a big one.

a big what ? Ive got a baseball cap with a built in bumpcap( aldi 3 quid) that i wear if its raining
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I find trees generally cause problems for me, they dont seem to move out the way and usually hurt.
  • cooldad
    slickmouse wrote:

slickmouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

a big what ? Ive got a baseball cap with a built in bumpcap( aldi 3 quid) that i wear if its raining
    I rest my case.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    slickmouse wrote:

slickmouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I rest my case.

you should, it looks tired
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    slickmouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

pahahahahahahahahahahaha

that's the funniest thing I've read for ages :lol::lol::lol:
  • FECES
    FECES Posts: 25
    beniwill wrote:

Theres no evening courses that teach cycle mechanics within reasonable driving distance. I dont mind paying for mechanics to do stuff, what urinates me off is the whole "book it in for next saturday" BS. If I could do stuff myself, I would buy parts and fit them asap. I only ride a motorcycle so getting a faulty bicycle to a shop I often have to rely on family or friends.
    The pain we have to put up with for pleasure!
  • cooldad
    So DIY. It's a bicycle, not a rocket. Most things just need a couple of Allen keys or some basic cheap tools.
    Read link in my sig.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:
    So DIY. It's a bicycle, not a rocket. Most things just need a couple of Allen keys or some basic cheap tools.
    Read link in my sig.

CAWT. Took me half an hour max to strip mine to a bare frame earlier this week.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Main problem is that when I ordered my airbus I asked for a blue one - really should have ordered Navy.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Aggressive drivers.
    Helmet nazis.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.