Commute home events from Friday

Stuliet
Stuliet Posts: 13
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
Having been commuting 2-3 times a week for the past few months, I have finally had a couple of cars trying to spoil my day;

- Attempt at pushing me off the road (cycle lane painted onto the road) by a Range Rover who drifted into the cycle lane in slow heavy traffic
- Vectra Taxi who pulled out right in front of me then immediately stopped causing much braking as I could not swerve around him due to oncoming traffic (thank heavens for disk brakes)

Both if these are 'expected' hazards. But I was also chastised by the Police for using 5-6m of pavement instead of a busy junction.

pavement_zps25ad320f.jpg

Coming down the hill there was a fair bit of traffic so I thought I would remove myself from danger (given my experience earlier in the day), wait for the cars to clear, cross the road at the island and carry on my way home.

As I was waiting to cross, a Police car stopped (blocking the road) and asked me if I was a child and did I know they could give me a FPN for "cycling on the pavement".

Technically, they are correct but really? I did see the Police car and knew it was behind me. I had passed it earlier waiting to turn out a side road. I made the decision to use the pavement due to the number of cars at the junction along with the fact there were no pedestrians on the path. Would I do the same again in the same circumstances? Yes.

Nothing to see, just needed a vent. I survived the day without injury (physical or financial) = success!

Comments

• For anyone in a similar predicament, which seems quite common after some lunchtime Googling

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN00623.pdf

Many cyclists, not just children and teenagers, feel anxious and exposed when riding in traffic and therefore use the pavement for safety. This is understandable and must be taken into account in enforcement
    The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    if you don't feel safe on the road you might want to see if there is an alternative route? But if you do have to use the pavement to cross a junction it is better to get off and push.

I think as far as traffic goes its a case of getting used to being able to predict when a car is about to do something stupid, the more you ride the easer it gets, although not 100% foolproof!

also, do you have good lights? they can help cars to see you.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Yep lights all on and working, reflective strips on clothes, mudguard with reflector, etc. I feel I am as visible as possible without wearing a Christmas tree; but I do know how myopic drivers can be after riding motorbikes since I was 17. There were just too many eyes to make contact with at once :-)

I did not really feel as if my life was in danger, but thought I would take the path to reduce chances of accident. My route did not impact anyone in a negative way. I guess opinions will vary on this one, but for me I think I took the best route.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If you hadn't "taken the lane" on the descent then it can be difficult to move into any overtaking traffic whilst getting ready for the junction - you do need to pre-empt these junctions and get into position early.
    I don't blame you for going left and then crossing the road - but I'd suggest you were a bit daft riding on the pavement knowing that a Police car was behind you. Perhaps it would've been more prudent to get off and walk those 50 yards!
  • Slowbike wrote:
    If you hadn't "taken the lane" on the descent then it can be difficult to move into any overtaking traffic whilst getting ready for the junction - you do need to pre-empt these junctions and get into position early.

I took the early option of knowing I was heading for the path. I use this route about half the time on my cycle home and this is the first time I have gone left to turn right.
    Slowbike wrote:
    you were a bit daft riding on the pavement knowing that a Police car was behind you

Can't disagree with that :D
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Or walked your bicycle on the pavement