Rear mech hanger bolts

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited October 2013 in Workshop
So i noticed yesterday that my rear mech was bouncing about. Turns out that one of the two bolts that holds the mech hanger on had come out.

I found a shorter version of the screw i needed to hold my rear mech hanger on, but im worried that its not long enough.

Where can i get the right bolts from? I've kept the one that i took out

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it all depends on the bike. tried a shop that sells the brand.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you look on the Wheels Manufacturing website and find the right mech hanger it will say which mounting bolts they include. Armed with this info you can then go shopping.

Or take out the remaining one and take it into Screwfix?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Some use a standard chainring bolt, whereas most use standard metric screws - either head to your LBS to see if they have one spare or your local hardware / autospares shop. If regular screws, most popular size is a 5mm countersunk
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    according to WMFG (thanks keef) its m3x10 bolts. which looks right as it was a 2mm hex key
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    With weenie screws like that, make sure you apply grease before installing - you can't get much torque from a 2mm Allen key if they get stuck.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Monty Dog wrote:
    With weenie screws like that, make sure you apply grease before installing - you can't get much torque from a 2mm Allen key if they get stuck.

Or copperslip antiseize. That's what I use on pedal axle threads, BB threads, bottle cage bolts, brake caliper mountings and mudguard mounting bolts. Any non-moving threaded part that's near the road and may be subject to salty spray in the winter, but that one day you'll need to unfasten. Oh, and cleat bolts.

Bolts at the top end of the bike eg stem, seat clamp etc get a light smear of grease