Between frame size - go big or small?

paddlemyowncanoe
paddlemyowncanoe Posts: 265
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
I have been using 56cm frames for 10 years and am going to a compact Tarmac SL4 and have had a fitting. It looks like if I go with a 56 I'll show 20+cm of seatpost and a need a 130mm -6 degree stem. Or I could go with a 58 and run a 17cm seatpost and 110 -17 degree stem (the headtube is 3cm taller vs the 56).

Which would be the better ride? I race a lot.

Comments

• Wouldn't that smaller bike be twitchy as hell?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Wouldn't that smaller bike be twitchy as hell?

I wouldn't have thought so. What will make a bike twitchy is a short stem, so going for a bike that's a bit too big is more likely to result in that problem. I've always been told that if you're between sizes, you should go for the smaller one because it's easy to make a small bike fit with a longer stem and more seatpost showing, but hard to make a big one fit. It's worked for me.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Choose a different brand / bike that fits you better without compromising something. The best bike is the one that fits you best.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • If you can get the same position on both bikes then it makes little difference which one you choose. The 58 might be a little heavier than the 56 but it won't be much.

However, you mentioned the head tube being 30mm taller on the 58 so this might have some relevance to how you fit onto the bikes. If you like a high "seat to bars" drop then you will need to choose the 56 conversely to reduce the drop then choose the 58. Of course these can be adjusted by removing the spacers but they won't have the same range as the head tubes are different.
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    t4tomo wrote:
    Choose a different brand / bike that fits you better without compromising something. The best bike is the one that fits you best.

Excellent advice. If you compromise you will forever be thinking the other one might have been better.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • Supergoose wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

Excellent advice. If you compromise you will forever be thinking the other one might have been better.
    Pro's have to ride whatever brand of bike they're given. I would assume that they get each one to fit to their exact preferred riding position. Don't see any reason why you can't as well.
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    Ah, but you/we dont have to make something fit. We have the luxury of choosing a frame that fits our body reach rather than making the best of it.

The trend nowadays is to go for shorter headtubes. It makes it really difficult to get a frame that fits without having a huge drop from saddle to bars or a big stack of spacers.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    t4tomo wrote:

I generally agree with the sentiment, but I'm not sure that fitting a longer stem than the stock one and raising the saddle means that a compromise is being made.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    You have to go small or give the frame a miss.
    I'm 5'10ish and generally stuck between sizes, I'll go by TT but you have to take the head tube in to account because you can end up with an aggressive riding position. Buy the larger frame and generally you're f*****.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Surely the amount of seat post showing is irrelevant? Head tube and top tube lengths are the key and it sounds like both on the 58cm model would be too long for you.
  • I think its Ian Stannard that has a small frame and has a massive stem on. I think going larger is a no no.
  • paddlemyowncanoe
    paddlemyowncanoe Posts: 265
    edited September 2013
    Thoughtful advice, thanks. I've always been of the view that frames are just there to hold the three contact points apart in space and it doesn't really matter what is in the gaps. Not sure now.

I floated this at our club ride and another factor that hadn't occurred to me is the aesthetic interaction with the rider's build - I'm a chunky chap and small frames makes me look like a bear on a circus bike, so go large, some said.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pro's have to ride whatever brand of bike they're given. I would assume that they get each one to fit to their exact preferred riding position. Don't see any reason why you can't as well.

Do pro's have to chose between a 56 and 58 Spesh frame then?
    I thought Peter Sagans Cannondale was made to measure?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've always been of the view that bikes are just there to hold the three contact points apart in space and it doesn't really matter what is in the gaps.

That's how I see it.
    If you are between two sizes (as most of us are because we do not have them made to measure) then seems a no brainer to go for the smaller one most of the time.

The bigger one can be too big but the smaller one can never really be too small as long as you are happy to change stuff.

At least you have the option of changing stuff to make it fit on a smaller frame.
    You are stuffed if the frame is too big.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    If you can get a good position on the small with no spacers and a 130mm stem, then I'd go that route. A bit lighter, a bit stiffer (potentially, although there wont be much in it, if anything) but you get a 130mm stem which gives preferable handling in my opinion. Plus, it looks better.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    I have been using 56cm frames for 10 years and am going to a compact Tarmac SL4 and have had a fitting. It looks like if I go with a 56 I'll show 20+cm of seatpost and a need a 130mm -6 degree stem. Or I could go with a 58 and run a 17cm seatpost and 110 -17 degree stem (the headtube is 3cm taller vs the 56).

Which would be the better ride? I race a lot.

If you have been fitted on a 58 with a 110 stem then you are not between sizes as that is how it comes as standard.

If you have been fitted on a 56 with a 130 stem then that is 30mm longer than standard and suggest the frame is too small.

Assuming you are over 6 foot, you may be better on the 58 unless you like an 8 inch drop.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    carrock wrote:
    If you have been fitted on a 58 with a 110 stem then you are not between sizes as that is how it comes as standard.

It does not come with a -17 degree 110 as standard.

I'd go with the 56, it's much easier to size up a bike than it is to size down, and whilst you've presumably ridden long enough that you're not likely to want to go to a more aggressive/lower position, it's equally likely that you know you're not going to want to go hugely more relaxed either.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Bozman wrote:
    You have to go small or give the frame a miss.
    I'm 5'10ish and generally stuck between sizes, I'll go by TT but you have to take the head tube in to account because you can end up with an aggressive riding position. Buy the larger frame and generally you're f*****.

This^
    ....generally when in doubt go smaller. If the TT of the bigger bike is ideal, then make sure you can use spacers under the stem to get the same result.
  • I would always go small.
  • Spudboy
    Spudboy Posts: 101
    Sounds to me like the small is the better choice BUT I would think that for those sizes in a Spesh availability will be good and it wouldn't be too difficult to get a test ride on both sizes and make the call after that. With repsect, comments from armchair critics (like me) probably won't help much ultimately and for a £2k+ frame it makes sense to be sure.