front tyre for winter

sofaboy73
sofaboy73 Posts: 574
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
went to put my winter tyres on last weekend and have somehow lost the maxxis minion i normally use on the front. was going to order another, but thought i would cast about for alternate ideas for a replacement first.

i read in the peak disricts so it's on lots of mud, lots of rock and the odd patch of sandier stuff. i usually ride fairly agressively on a 160mm travel bike and like to run the front pressure pretty low.

any ideas?

Comments

• dtp
    dtp Posts: 9
    I'm running an On-One Chunky Monkey at the moment which would be a similar width as the minion (2.4"). It's the super sticky variant, and seems to handle wet rock really well. Seems fine on sand too, although i've not ridden anything particularly sandy. It's cheap too.

Haven't really tackled any serious mud with it though, I would've thought something narrower might be better there if you follow the advice you seem to see on the forums.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Hans Dampf? nice and big so you can run low pressure for loads of grip
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    im a bit curious on this, ive popped a rubber queen on the back but not sure if the pana XC is going to cope over winter
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Step83 wrote:
    im a bit curious on this, ive popped a rubber queen on the back but not sure if the pana XC is going to cope over winter

I really like the Panaracer Fire XC, but if you get mud like we do round here, then you'll find it clogs very quickly when it gets properly wet. Something with larger blocks and bigger gaps between them is the order of the day.

I've just stuck one of these on the front of mine:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/inte ... -prod53629
    Haven't tested it properly yet, but the tread pattern looks like it should shed well and the (claimed) 50a compound should provide plenty of grip.
  • Stick with what you know if your happy with it.you wont get much better than a minion
  • another vote here for on ones chunky monkey. I'm running the trail extreme version on the front and its super grippy even on wet rocks and roots. super big volume and copes well at lower pressures.
  • Been running a Chunky Monkey on the front over the summer and loved it but tried it out in the mud recently and it clogged within in seconds. Going to swap to a more winter orientated tyre asap as we live in the mud here in the welsh valleys :lol:
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Been running a Chunky Monkey on the front over the summer and loved it but tried it out in the mud recently and it clogged within in seconds. Going to swap to a more winter orientated tyre asap as we live in the mud here in the welsh valleys :lol:

Local woods running really nicely this morning, Steve :D
    Looks like that's all gonna change this week though :(
  • Local woods running really nicely this morning, Steve :D
    Looks like that's all gonna change this week though :(

lol yup, mud galor after the next 5 days of non stop rain :(
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    sofaboy73 wrote:
    went to put my winter tyres on last weekend and have somehow lost the maxxis minion i normally use on the front
    If you like Minions try a Specialized Butcher Control. They're like Minions but better in every way

* accurate sizing the 2.3 Butcher is the same width as a 2.5 Minion but without the tall, heavy sidewalls
    * 50a compound is griptastic without being dragtastic
    * 750g for a Butcher - lighter than any Minion
    * £30 - bargain
  • .blitz wrote:
    sofaboy73 wrote:
    went to put my winter tyres on last weekend and have somehow lost the maxxis minion i normally use on the front
    If you like Minions try a Specialized Butcher Control. They're like Minions but better in every way

* accurate sizing the 2.3 Butcher is the same width as a 2.5 Minion but without the tall, heavy sidewalls
    * 50a compound is griptastic without being dragtastic
    * 750g for a Butcher - lighter than any Minion
    * £30 - bargain

looks like they could be a bit of a winner and worth a try.

how does the 50a compound compare with the super tacky on the minions (if you've treid them) - do you notice much difference?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    They loose out slightly to a 2.5 ST but are grippier than the 2.35's I found. Butchers are the best all round tyre I've ever used for an AM bike, only time I change is to mud tyres. If you feel like you want slightly softer knobs you could look at the SX casing, the side knobs are 45a but honestly the extra lightweight and suppleness of the Control casing makes it pretty unnoticeable, I actually found I was faster with the Control.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    sofaboy73 wrote:
    how does the 50a compound compare with the super tacky on the minions?
    Crucially they don't have the same draggy feeling that an ST does on hardpack/uphill pedally bits. They roll along easily like an Ardent but grip better than a 60a Minion. As peter413 says there's a slight loss of ultimate grip in marginal situations e.g. OMG off-camber sections and smearing off greasy roots/rocks etc but the rest of the time they're amazing tyres.
  • sofaboy73
    peter413 wrote:
    only time I change is to mud tyres.

what do you use as your mud tyres?

what's the mud shedding like on the butchers? as i plan to use them in winter in the Peak district mud will not be in short supply!
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Usually Continental Baron's on the AM bike because they work really well on hardpack, roots and rocks as well but if it's really really muddy or snowy then I'll stick some DH mud spikes on.

The Butcher's shed mud really well, better than a lot of similar tyres, they just obviously loose out a little to a dedicated mud tyre.
  • sofaboy73
    sounds like a winner and i'll give the burcher a whirl then