Ribble HF83

casatikid
casatikid Posts: 229
edited September 2013 in Road general
Has anyone seen or better still own or knows anyone that has this new frameset from Ribble?
I have a best bike(Casati) and an everyday bike(Ribble 7005sl) along with my winter Dolan.I wish to upgrade my everday bike to a carbon frame and I have to say that Ribble,s new HF83 looks like great value for money.If I choose to go ahead and buy and kit it out to my spec with Ultegra,a good set of wheels etc it will come to around £2,500. which wouldn't buy you much from most other retailers as many bikes are sold with inhouse branded kit..
Any helpful observations from anyone ?
Mick

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    £2500 would get you a Dolan Ares or Tuono with Sram Red 22 and Ksirium Elite wheels or a Canyon Ultimate CF SL with Sram Force 22. :)
  • diamonddog
    edited September 2013
    Just to add the ones mentioned above are also available with Shimano groupsets. :)
  • Yes,i quite like the look of the Dolan Tuono but will look at the Canyon online later.Thanks.Still like the idea of the HF83 though.The old Ribble I have had from new about 9/10 years ago and its been a agreat bike.Actualy,its the wife that has TOLD me to go and buy a new bike,can you believe that?
    She has been looking online with me and she has been encouraging me to go and buy the new LOOK 675 with the intergrated h/set and bars.I love the look of it but didn't want to spend more than 2,500 realy as my Casati is brilliant .To good to be relegated to an everyday bike.
    Mick
  • diamonddog
    Nothing wrong with the Ribble IMO, just thought I would give you some options. :)
  • Cheers diamonddog.All comments appreciated.
    Strange you know how which bike you ride depends on whether other cyclists acknowledge you on the road.
    If I am riding my Carbon Casati people will ride past,look at the bike and nod or put a hand up.If I am riding past the same person(Done this)on my Ribble then some of these people won't bother to look in my direction.
    Bike snobbery really does exist.
  • If you want to be totally ignored buy a Cervelo :wink:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Like.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    If you want your frame to crack, buy a Cervelo. :wink:
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    If you want to look middle aged buy a Cervelo. :wink:
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    If you want the best bike for your money with the best warranty available from a company that innovates and puts more time than anyone else into making the best product, buy a Cervélo!

Can you elaborate?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I cannot believe the OP has a green light for a Look and is contemplating a Ribble! I have a Look and a Ribble. They are both excellent but the Look is something special. So, keep the old Ribble for every day and have two bikes for best.
    CASATIKID wrote:
    Cheers diamonddog.All comments appreciated.
    Strange you know how which bike you ride depends on whether other cyclists acknowledge you on the road.
    If I am riding my Carbon Casati people will ride past,look at the bike and nod or put a hand up.If I am riding past the same person(Done this)on my Ribble then some of these people won't bother to look in my direction.
    Bike snobbery really does exist.

All these people who can spot that your bike is the Casati and not the Ribble before acknowledging you. There must be lots of people with telescopic vision where you live. Either that or everyone rides at a really, really slow pace! I always note what someone is riding after I've waved to them...... :lol:
    LegendLust wrote:
    If you want the best bike for your money with the best warranty available from a company that innovates and puts more time than anyone else into making the best product, buy a Cervélo!

Can you elaborate?

I think he read it on http://www.cervelo.com :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Personally, love my Ribble 872. It was an economic decision for me. Cervelo was 2k for a 105 equipped bike, Ribble cost me £1200. I don't think I will notice the £800 difference until there is a warranty issue to resolve maybe?! I am sure the big manufacturers must factor in the cost of warranty claims when pricing their bikes.
  • LegendLust
    Are there any other manufacturers that do as much wind tunnel/ R & D as Cervélo?

Yes there is. Specialized have even invested in their own wind tunnel.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust wrote:
    Are there any other manufacturers that do as much wind tunnel/ R & D as Cervélo?

Yes there is. Specialized have even invested in their own wind tunnel.

Specialized are a marketing company.

Pot. Kettle. Black
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Personally, love my Ribble 872. It was an economic decision for me. Cervelo was 2k for a 105 equipped bike, Ribble cost me £1200. I don't think I will notice the £800 difference until there is a warranty issue to resolve maybe?! I am sure the big manufacturers must factor in the cost of warranty claims when pricing their bikes.

That's probably true, take ABG & Merlin for example...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • You're thinking of a HF83 and you like the look of the Dolan TuonoSL... strange that, they're the same frame :shock: . In which case I would say go for the TuonoSL... but then I'm biased (and need to update my signature).
    Still trying to convince the missus of the n+1 rule...!
  • Went to the show and saw the HF83.
    Wont be buying it as it was downright ugly.
    Back to the drawing board.
  • CASATIKID wrote:
    Went to the show and saw the HF83.

In contrast the 872 is downright sexy! Everyone I saw at the show was admiring it. Did 150 miles on mine yesterday. Didn't miss a beat. Highly recommended.
  • dwanes
    CASATIKID wrote:
    Went to the show and saw the HF83.

What did you find so ugly about it? Colour, geometry, tube shapes, finish quality?
    Or all of the above?
  • Colour,a dull red and boring black.
    Shape,totaly boring and the carbon finish was patchy in parts.Not the perfect bike for a showcase I thought.The all black stealth looking bike was mint.
  • diamonddog
    CASATIKID wrote:
    Colour,a dull red and boring black.
    Shape,totaly boring and the carbon finish was patchy in parts.Not the perfect bike for a showcase I thought.The all black stealth looking bike was mint.
    Canyon or Dolan then? :)
  • CASATIKID wrote:

Get a stealth, awesome bike. With ultegra and light finishing kit sub 7.5kg is easily achievable. Looked great with the mavic wheels on. Got hand built wheels on mine. Black archetypes.
  • dwanes
    CASATIKID wrote:

Get a stealth, awesome bike. With ultegra and light finishing kit sub 7.5kg is easily achievable. Looked great with the mavic wheels on. Got hand built wheels on mine. Black archetypes.

Are the rims still black?
  • Yes the Stealth looks good and I spoke to a guy that was riding one at the King of the Pennines that I rode a few weeks ago.
    He was pleased with it and the deepish section carbon wheels he had on it looked good as they were all black also but I suspect they would have cost more than the bloody frame.Ive seen carbon wheels for sale from other than the big brands but how reliable are they?
    My best wheels on my Casati are Mavic Kysirium superlights and they are superb.Fast and a great climbing wheel.Dont want to pay that much for the everyday bike though?
  • dwanes wrote:
    CASATIKID wrote:

Are the rims still black?

For now, yes they are!