Why cant i put my chain back together?

neilus
neilus Posts: 245
edited September 2013 in MTB beginners
Hiya
Ive used the chain breaker on my Park multitool to break my chain to give it a good soak in turps, and on two out of three occassions the chain has snapped on the next ride :?: Its a Shimano CN-HG53 on a Scott Spark 60...
I push the pin out, far enough that it stays in the outer link, give it a wee twist to break it, and basically reverse the process to reconnect the chain, obviously keeping a close eye on the pin being as centred as possible...
So obviously im not doing it right, can anyone think where im going wrong? I have reconnected chains before without problems, yet im left thinking it must be fractions of mm that make a solid re-join, or a dodgy one.
Ive noticed that sometimes the link will be very stiff and need loosening...does that suggest its been done correctly?
As this has happened a few times, my chain is now too short and ill need a new one; Ive only done about 500km of moderate mtb-ing with this chain, the cassette doesnt seem really "shark-fined" so im hoping i dont need a new cassette - as im absolutely skint. I'll try the new chain and if the rear gears are really slipping then ill get a new cassette...sound reasonable?
Thanks guys
Neil

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Use a power link :wink:
    template_sample?$detail$&$id=prod871_Gold_NE_01&$offerhide=1&$promohide=1&locale=en
    £3 and you can take your chain on and off as many times as you like :mrgreen:
  • neilus
    Yup that seems like a good idea, cheers!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you do not reuse pins. it just does not work on modern chains.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • neilus
    Yeah i could never quite understand this...obviously a pin is rivet of sorts with some kinda "mushroom" profile so the damned thing dont fall out, pushing it through obviously breaks that overlap so i never understood how pushing a pin back could work...?
  • It doesn't, Shimano have special joining pins and only those can be used.
  • neilus
    It doesn't, Shimano have special joining pins and only those can be used.
    You mean these ones that you have to snap off about 5mm? Yeah ive seen those, but i also saw enough YT tutorials where they just pushed the old one back in ... so it must be true eh?
  • I have no idea what you mean. But largely ignore everything else and use quick links
  • You can push them back in trailside to get you home in an emergency, but otherwise use a link
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • neilus
    I have no idea what you mean. But largely ignore everything else and use quick links
    Just for your info, they are described here:
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... leur-bikes
    Thanks!