Please help

Shaky1974
Shaky1974 Posts: 9
edited September 2013 in Commuting general
Hi I have just started to be more active . I'm 39 years old and need to get fitter so I have just brought a hybrid bike. What I want to know is ,will I get use to the seat.i know it sounds stupid but after a while my backside hurts and my legs get tired. Will I get use to this ? Many thanks

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Stick at it. You'll get used to it, and so will your backside.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    You probably will. If your doing short journeys (up to 5 miles is my "short") then it's something you'll get used to. You can look at gel sadddles, but conventional wisdom suggests hard saddles are better for long rides. Don't give up on the bike!

Legs will get used to the work quicker, and you'll build up the length of your rides quite quickly. Hills will always hurt a bit. Or a lot. Depends on the hill.
  • padded lycra shorts are what you need.
  • My backside was really sore and my legs are aching today and that's with padded shorts and chamois cream.
    These days it takes 140 miles in the saddle and 10000ft of climbing rather than 14 flat miles like when I first started commuting!

So yeah, you get used to it and you might end up going looking for it once the commute's not enough anymore.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Thankyou so much for your replies
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    Hi Shaky1974
    Welcome to the forum. Ensure that your pushbike is the right size/set up correctly. An incorrect saddle height will cause leg/bum pain too.
    Keep at it, you'll soon reap the benefits !
  • Thanks greggyr . It arrives this Friday so will give it my best. I have also brought a lot of accessories and a bike rack. I am overweight but am determend to do this . So I'm delighted to join this forum and am amazed by everyone's help
  • CaMun
    CaMun Posts: 45
    I remember when I first started commuting, the saddle sore was bad and I even had to turn back one day. Like others said, get some padded shorts, adjust the seat to the correct hight, and keep going..
  • Thanks camun hope your still at it