New mtb under £1500

underlay
underlay Posts: 15
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
I am currently looking to by a MTB to do trails/xc. I want a bike that I will enjoy riding and not need to upgrade or change for some while. My budget is up to £1500. I have been considering FS rather than HT and came across the Giant Anthem X2 2013 for £1275 at http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p494 ... M-X-2-2013

I have tried one out (a small men's and medium womens) briefly however haven't ridden a FS before so have nothing to compare it to. Any thoughts on this bike or others to consider in this price range?

Vicky

Comments

• A friend is now suggesting that I go for a hard tail with 29er wheels. Any suggestions on ones to consider?
  • underlay wrote:
    I am currently looking to by a MTB to do trails/xc. I want a bike that I will enjoy riding and not need to upgrade or change for some while. My budget is up to £1500. I have been considering FS rather than HT and came across the Giant Anthem X2 2013 for £1275 at http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p494 ... M-X-2-2013

I have tried one out (a small men's and medium womens) briefly however haven't ridden a FS before so have nothing to compare it to. Any thoughts on this bike or others to consider in this price range?

Vicky

The Anthem is a very good bike and that model has a good fork and a decent spec at what looks like a good price.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Jomox
    Jomox Posts: 250
    underlay wrote:
    A friend is now suggesting that I go for a hard tail with 29er wheels. Any suggestions on ones to consider?

I'd go for the Hardtail with 29.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    I have a 29er HT and a 26er FS. For me the 29er HT is a great winter bike for xc and trail use, great through all the mud and crap and rides over anything within reason. The FS is a Summer bike, which I will continue to use right up until it's muddy and mudguards are required.

The Anthem is a cracking bike for the price and a great xc bike, but be warned, it's a pretty steep bike, and may have you over the bars when it comes to going down steep hills,in which case the Trance is a better option, just something to think about.
  • Just been looking at the on-one Lurcher 29er x9 (http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FBOOLRCAB/o ... ntain_bike) as their Scandal doesn't seem to exist anymore. Any thoughts?
  • Jomox wrote:
    underlay wrote:
    A friend is now suggesting that I go for a hard tail with 29er wheels. Any suggestions on ones to consider?

I'd go for the Hardtail with 29.

Why?
    RandG wrote:
    ...and may have you over the bars when it comes to going down steep hills

you what?

Trek Session 8
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    you what?

Take it on context about what I said about the trance, the trance is a slacker head, and the anthem is a steepish xc bike.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    One thing worth thinking about is getting a Women's specific mountain bike. My wife used to ride a smallish men's mountain bike on and off road but hated the poor stand over height and also the very stretched out position. She recently got a Trek Mynx SL reduced in the 2013 sales and loves it due to not wanting "big wheels". Really good stand over height and the ride position is spot on for her being 5ft2. I have had a go myself apart from looking like I was on a clown bike due to being over 6ft6 it rides well enough and the SLX brakes are decent.

The Trek 29er womens mountain bike of a similar spec got very scores in recent reviews. I would give them a test ride to see what you think.
  • RandG wrote:
    you what?

Take it on context about what I said about the trance, the trance is a slacker head, and the anthem is a steepish xc bike.

I still don't understand. "it may have you over the bars when going down steep hills" - like, pitch you over the bars?

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    RandG wrote:
    you what?

I still don't understand. "it may have you over the bars when going down steep hills" - like, pitch you over the bars?
    Because it hates you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools