cookson in, mcquaid out

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited September 2013 in MTB general
you reckon MTB will see any difference with the new UCI president?

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Possibly, but probably not. You'd hope so given Cookson's recent history in British Cycling and the British success and interest in mountain biking that he will evidently be aware of. Having said that I seem to remember reading something, around a year or so ago in either dirt or singletrack, about how British Cycling were taking young developing mountain biking talents, not so much DH but certainly XC, and pushing them towards the track and road… so maybe not
  • What do BC and UCI do for mountain biking?
    I have to pay £70 per year to have BC membership and a race licence so that I can compete in some events but I don't see what they give back to the sport.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,131
    Hmmm, for the UCI, see the FiA......

Whereas the FiA concentrate on F1 to the detriment of other Motorsports (Sportscars, Rallying, etc) it seems the UCI are the same with Road cycling; and ignore, or are clueless about MTB, Cyclocross, etc

Everything I've seen written about the election has been almost exclusively about the Road scene, the other disciplines may as well not exist.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • welshkev
    Exactly. I started a thread a few months ago titled "what does the uci do for mountain biking?"

I can't find it as I'm on my phone but there was some interesting points raised
  • What do the BC do for mountain biking? Do they even know the sport exists? As a member I get their monthly email and in the last year there hasn't been even a mention of mountain biking.
  • What do the BC do for mountain biking? Do they even know the sport exists? As a member I get their monthly email and in the last year there hasn't been even a mention of mountain biking.

If you go onto the BC Insight Zone, http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/insightzone you'll find quite a lot of MTB content including Annie Last and Kenta Gallagher films.
  • welshkev
    What do the BC do for mountain biking? Do they even know the sport exists? As a member I get their monthly email and in the last year there hasn't been even a mention of mountain biking.

If you go onto the BC Insight Zone, http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/insightzone you'll find quite a lot of MTB content including Annie Last and Kenta Gallagher films.

That's the thing though, on the last thread people mentioned uci/bc doing stuff for xc. But nothing was really mentioned about dh, enduro or 4x.
  • UCI don't even support 4x anymore. I'm not sure if BC support the national 4x series.
    As I see it racing could easily continue without the support of BC and it would save racers £70 a year by not having a race licence.
  • welshkev
    Yeah I never understood why they stopped supporting 4x, I love watching it :)
  • Not a popular enough sport to justify a world cup any more.