Why did i fall for the 29er marketing?

ricky48
ricky48 Posts: 18
edited October 2013 in MTB general
Ok.maybe not a new subject but I still want to get it off my chest. What really gets my goat is the length of time it`s taken 650b to come to fruition if this is such a game changer.I was quite happy riding about on my 26 inch bikes until I got seduced/duped by the industry plugging 29ers as the next best thing but was actually a constant work in progress as manufacturers battled to make them handle like 26ers.It just stinks that the supposedly "perfect" wheel size(650b) could have been utilised much sooner thereby eliminating the issues inherent to the other sizes not to mention the countless costs to the consumer in upgrades/modifications to get their bikes dialled only to find that all those parts probably wont fit their future frames.Yet another win win for our friendly bike industry as they force us to part with our money.Progress or extorsion-you decide.

Comments

• This all hasn't cost me anything. In fact it's probably saved me money.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Wait, so you believe 650b is the future, but are annoyed that it's taken so long, and all this despite being "duped" into buying a 29er when you were "quite happy riding about on [your] 26 inch bikes"?

Marketing man's dream you are.
  • Im sticking with 26" until the industry can settle on a wheel size for more than a couple years.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    RICKY48 wrote:
    Ok.maybe not a new subject but I still want to get it off my chest. What really gets my goat is the length of time it`s taken 650b to come to fruition if this is such a game changer.I was quite happy riding about on my 26 inch bikes until I got seduced/duped by the industry plugging 29ers as the next best thing but was actually a constant work in progress as manufacturers battled to make them handle like 26ers.It just stinks that the supposedly "perfect" wheel size(650b) could have been utilised much sooner thereby eliminating the issues inherent to the other sizes not to mention the countless costs to the consumer in upgrades/modifications to get their bikes dialled only to find that all those parts probably wont fit their future frames.Yet another win win for our friendly bike industry as they force us to part with our money.Progress or extorsion-you decide.
    650b was about before 29ers and it was touted as the most likely next thing as it could work with most existing frames. then marketing got involved and you fell for it.

so really a better heading for this would be Why did i fall for the 29er marketing? which is what i will change it to.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I could see the point of 29ers. They offered something different to 26" bikes and they worked.
    650b bikes that I have tried just feel like 26", I don't see the point at all.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    so really a better heading for this would be Why did i fall for the 29er marketing? which is what i will change it to.

You're a bad man!

Outstanding.
  • This all hasn't cost me anything. In fact it's probably saved me money.

+1
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    I had an old 26er. I was happy with it but it was old, crappy and worn out. So after some research, I bought 29er because 650b had not filtered to the 'budget' sellers like Canyon. After some faffing to get the fit right, I am very happy with my 29er. In 5 or so years when I destroy this one, I will consider 650b.

My point, enjoy what to have. They all have their pros and cons and time will come to replace at some stage.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This all hasn't cost me anything. In fact it's probably saved me money.

+1
    + more.
    I do have one 29er though - a road bike. I believe it's quite common.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • just wait a couple of years until the 25" arrive 'more flickable than your 26" and nothing like a 29er! BUY ME NOW'
  • I heard they're bringing out a 28" soon as well.....
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Is anyone else bored to tears with the endless debate about wheel size ?

Is your 29er really that bad that you want something else so soon ?

Maybe focus on actually riding your bike instead of worrying about what wheel size is the "best"

Reality is that 99.9% of us on this forum aren't good enough on a bike to really appreciate the nuances between 650B and 29
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I ride my bike, I have fun. Who gives a fark what size wheels it has?

If you buy your bikes based on marketing hype than handling and ride quality then you're a chump!
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    welshkev wrote:

If you buy your bikes based on marketing hype than handling and ride quality then you're a chump!

This. All day long.

Riding your bike will make you a better rider. Wheel size will not.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    welshkev wrote:

My view exactly for your first comment. I enjoy XC riding and my 29er hard tail is a great bike for me. I also agree with your second but would be a bit politer :P
  • kajjal
    DCR00 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

This. All day long.

Riding your bike will make you a better rider. Wheel size will not.

It seems some MTB'ers are getting as obsessed with their wheels as road bikers which is not a good thing ;)
  • I've got a bike with 29" wheels, I like it, it rides nice.

I've also got a 26" wheeled bike, I like that too, it also rides nice.

Wheel size is only part of the bike, as long as you enjoy riding it who cares what size wheels its got?!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Does it hurt more when you fall off a 29er?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Well if it means people traded in their perfectly good 26'ers for the new bling bling 29'ers which in turn helps keep the bike companies going then good on them.

Fools for falling for it, but good on them.

I'll be pootling along on my rubbish 26'er for a little while longer.
  • I only choose 29er wheel size because I'm 6ft 7 and needed a frame to fit. 26 bikes never had big enough frame. Frame first. My bike looks in proportion when I ride it. So much that some people have thought it was 26 inch wheels till they get close.

I ride with friends who have wheel size X Y Z and at the end we're all smiling and talking about where we nearly binned it.

We're not all pro riders so wheel size X Y Z is not going matter in the big scheme of things.

Have fun out there and don't bin it.

Does it hurt more when you fall off? I tend not to do this thing, but when I do I have knee and arm pads so no.
  • Remember you're just playing on a big toy, ride what feels right for you
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • I'll still be riding my GT Avalanche 2.0 2009 with bomber mx comp 2003 forks for a while i hope. It works for me and cost a total of £200 last year,and i can't afford new bikes at the moment
  • kajjal
    JayKay3000 wrote:
    I only choose 29er wheel size because I'm 6ft 7 and needed a frame to fit. 26 bikes never had big enough frame. Frame first. My bike looks in proportion when I ride it. So much that some people have thought it was 26 inch wheels till they get close.

I ride with friends who have wheel size X Y Z and at the end we're all smiling and talking about where we nearly binned it.

We're not all pro riders so wheel size X Y Z is not going matter in the big scheme of things.

Have fun out there and don't bin it.

Does it hurt more when you fall off? I tend not to do this thing, but when I do I have knee and arm pads so no.

Did exactly the same and no longer ride a "clown bike" ;)
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Yep, I'll be sticking with my "too small" 26" wheels.

My (lack of) skill will always be much more important than the bike I ride. Was out with my kids today (12 year old twins on way too small 20" hotrocks). They weren't worrying about wheel size and they had a whole lot of fun.

One thing though; I'm planning to buy them new 'full size' bikes for Xmas. Entry level, £400ish. They're all 26" - and I could get stung in a few years time if they want to upgrade frame/forks/wheels to something better.

The standard upgrade path - buy a £400 bike and upgrade is being cut-off by the manufacturers. Hey, ho - I'll just buy secondhand. But it's sneaky of the manufacturers
  • It makes sense to have more than 1 wheel size.

They should just sell 26, 27.5 and 29 models and let the consumer choose.

It'll make them more money in the long run. From what I can see 27.5b bikes seem to be using the same frames as 26"?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I've got a bike with 29" wheels, I like it, it rides nice.

I've also got a 26" wheeled bike, I like that too, it also rides nice.

Wheel size is only part of the bike, as long as you enjoy riding it who cares what size wheels its got?!

that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Hold up.

Your're annoyed that you bought into 29ers, only because it is now is emerging that 650B is the "right wheel size"?

I take it you've never heard the expression once bitten twice shy?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    You know that thing where you do a little research on a different wheelsize, have a go on a few 29ers before you buy one, and then maybe bite the bullet?
    Oh wait... I guess not.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Hold up.

Your're annoyed that you bought into 29ers, only because it is now is emerging that 650B is the "right wheel size"?

I take it you've never heard the expression once bitten twice shy?

I don't even know what 29er the OP bought and I'm thinking this, plus he doesn't state what he dislikes about the current bike that a 650b will cure..
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • As it is I`ve no reason to ditch my much modified 26er full suss or my 29er hardtail as they both do their duties quite alright for me and I`ll never be skilled enough to do them justice.Unfortunately for me I didn`t get to demo a 29er properly to compare it with what I used to own hence the reason for a purchase based on all the hype and reviews etc;it`s always easy to look back in hindsight but no worries- I`ll be dead before my bikes wear out.