Out with the Nerve in with the Nomad

Mojo_666
Mojo_666 Posts: 860
edited October 2013 in Your mountain bikes
I sold my Nerve AM 9.0 Frame and Forks along with my Torque FRX complete bike and built this up instead.
The only surviving part from the Canyons is the crank, although brakes and wheels came from ugrades to the Nerve.
I got the forks and headset via C2W, the build didn't cost anything on real terms but I only have the 1 bike now.

Santa Cruz Nomad 2014 Tennis Yellow
Fox CTD Shock
Fox 36 Float RC2 Forks
RockShock Reverb Stealth Dropper
Selle Italia Saddle
Hope M4 Stealth (Braided Hoses)
Hope Rotors
Mavic 719 Rimms on Pro Evo 2 Hubs (DHF HR2)
Mavic 319 Rimms on Pro Evo 2 Hubs (Wet Screams)
XTR Crank with Renthal 33T
Renthal Fat 30.8 Bars
Renthal Duo Stem
XT Shifter
Zee Rear Mech
Superstar Grips and Pedals

p4pb10066575.jpg

p4pb10066573.jpg

p4pb10066567.jpg

p4pb10066566.jpg

p4pb10066552.jpg

p4pb10058973.jpg

p4pb10058941.jpg

p4pb10058915.jpg

Comments

• russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    smooth man, smooth!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    That looks very, very nice. 8)
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Very nice build

You wont be disappointed with the 36s. I have the 2010 model on my Tracer and they are epic.

How did you manage to get forks on the C2W ?

Have you considered a narrow/wide chainring ? i had a Renthal on my Spesh, and they are very good, but i wouldnt go back since using a RaceFace narrow/wide one. Not one dropped chain.

Needs a bashring though.
  • DCR00 wrote:
    Very nice build
    How did you manage to get forks on the C2W ?

You just need a LBS who is willng to play the system. :lol:
    DCR00 wrote:
    Have you considered a narrow/wide chainring ? i had a Renthal on my Spesh, and they are very good, but i wouldnt go back since using a RaceFace narrow/wide one. Not one dropped chain.
    Needs a bashring though.

I went for the Renthal because it had 33t, not sure if they are made by anyone else but that was in stock when I needed it..no reason to change now.

Loving this bike though, I have done maybe 350k on it so far and loving everything about it.
  • Very nice bike. I really like Nomads.
    I would stick with the Renthal chain rings, they are so light and a narrow wide is no substitute for a chain device.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Very nice bike. I really like Nomads.
    I would stick with the Renthal chain rings, they are so light and a narrow wide is no substitute for a chain device.

thats what i thought, but i havent lost my chain once since making the switch

off to Antur on the 6th, so we will see if it can take a proper beating, but from what ive seen so far, i think it will be fine
  • A chain device stops the chain slapping around, a narrow wide chain ring won't do that, even combined with a clutch mech it's not as good as having a bottom guide of a chain device.
  • très belle
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Thank's, one thing I notice with the Nomad vs the Canyon's is that people I meet on trails comment how nice a bike it is, with the Canyon's people just commented on how good "value" they are for the money. :|
  • That is quite pleasant.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • You don't buy a Santa Cruz because of it's good value. You buy it because it's the best.
    These things are great to ride.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    You don't buy a Santa Cruz because of it's good value. You buy it because it's the best.

IMO Santa Cruz are some of the most desireable bikes, my dream is a Bronson..
  • Never ridden one, but the ones I've oggled in Stif Cycles look lurvely. I think it must've been Santa Cruz Sunday at Gisburn last weekend - they were everywhere. I felt distinctly plebian on my Boardman, lol...
  • ej2320 wrote:
    You don't buy a Santa Cruz because of it's good value. You buy it because it's the best.

Strangely, the Bronson is the Santa Cruz which least appeals to me. I really want a carbon nomad and a V10
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I've got a nomad too, i'm sure mike copied me...or was it the other way around? :lol:
  • Its a nice all round bike.

Test rode the aluminium bike, but i prefered my Mondy by a good margain as the Nomad wasnt as capable down. If i had 2 bikes htough a DH/play bike and a trail bike then i would have this over my Mondy as a trail machine anyday though as it pedalled way better and was plenty for downs.
  • I really want a carbon nomad and a V10

aye
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ej2320 wrote:

I was thinking of a Bronson tbh, but opted for the Nomad instead.
  • welshkev wrote:
    I've got a nomad too, i'm sure mike copied me...or was it the other way around? :lol:

Didn't we both copy Biggins Kev? :lol:
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

Didn't we both copy Biggins Kev? :lol:

shhhh, don't say that he'll get a big head...oh wait a sec :wink::lol:
  • ej2320
    ej2320 wrote:

Strangely, the Bronson is the Santa Cruz which least appeals to me. I really want a carbon nomad and a V10

Either way, most people would love a Santa Cruz.. The Bronson was just a personal thing ;)
  • Mojo_666
    Nothing wrong the the Bronson, I nearly went for one myself.
  • ej2320
    Mojo_666 wrote:

I'd have mine on order right now if it was £500 less...
  • Mojo_666
    ej2320 wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:

I called 6 local bike shops, all were willing to give discount and make deals with freebies (except leasure lakes)

Call around :)
  • ej2320
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:

I called 6 local bike shops, all were willing to give discount and make deals with freebies (except leasure lakes)

I did.. then they came in with an offer on an 2014 Transition Covert and I just couldn't help myself ;)
  • Mojo_666
    ej2320 wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:

I did.. then they came in with an offer on an 2014 Transition Covert and I just couldn't help myself ;)

Nice, get some pics up. :lol:
  • ej2320
    I will, the frame is due mid November so I will have it built around Christmas.. I'll start a thread when I get the frame :)
    In the meantime I'll drool over your nomad
  • swiftyx2
    swiftyx2 Posts: 203
    Hi,

Now that's a tasty bit of kit there mate...

Love the colour and build.

Steve
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3 Carbon Athena
    Marin Attack Trail 6.8
    Marin Wolfridge 6.8 Stolen by sum Scum Bags
    Trek 6500
    Bianchi Carbon
  • Mojo_666
    Swiftyx2 wrote:
    Hi,
    Now that's a tasty bit of kit there mate...
    Love the colour and build.
    Steve