Tyre wobble after fitting

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited October 2013 in MTB general
This annoyed me a fair bit today. Realised id put my Rubber Queen on backward so flipped it round. Now its got a fair bit of wobble/distortion which it didnt have on the other way round. I tried fitting it twice pushing the tyre fully into the centre channel and inflating quick with some lube to try an get it to sit correctly, no joy. Any ideas what i can do or id i should worry?

Comments

• Seems odd if it was ok the other way. Keep trying, let it down wiggle it about and make sure it is all seated
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pump it up to a silly pressure like 60psi.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Also try rubbing some washing up liquid along the bead, particularly if you find an area where the mould lines on the sidewall get closer to the rim.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    cooldad wrote:

Yeah careful with that, I had to do the same with my rubber queens the other day and ended up blowing the tube before I managed to get it seated properly on the rim.

Second attempt worked, I think I'll leave the RQ's on this time.
  • Siarm
    Siarm Posts: 102
    Briggo wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Yeah careful with that, I had to do the same with my rubber queens the other day and ended up blowing the tube before I managed to get it seated properly on the rim.

Yeah ditto, done this the other day in the garage, was rather loud and ears were ringing afterwards.. :roll:
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Friend also did that in wales in a car park. It is good advice for road bikes but be a bit careful for MTB's.
  • step83
    Well took it to 60, an back down no change, changed tack. Added some lube on the rim tried again same problem. Not sure if its the tube causing it so ill swap that in the week, Rim is true though made me double check when it didnt seat this time.
    Not something as simple as a duff tube possibly?
  • You said it was fine the other way though.
  • Siarm
    Siarm Posts: 102
    You put soap on the tyre edge itself?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Briggo wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

60isn't exactly crazy high - about the upper stated limit for most MTB tyres.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    cooldad wrote:
    Briggo wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Tell that to the continental MTB tube that blew in my face.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    cooldad wrote:
    Briggo wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I've gone higher to get tyres seated
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Had a similar problem with a front X King 29er, took it off and put it on several times. Ended up getting some On-One Smorgasbord’s much better tyre and only £30 for two.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • step83
    You said it was fine the other way though.

True, makes no sense how it can be like that though
    Had a similar problem with a front X King 29er, took it off and put it on several times. Ended up getting some On-One Smorgasbord’s much better tyre and only £30 for two.

May just take it clean off the rim an start from scratch its got me miffed
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Have a go at taking it to 10PSI ish then ride it up and down the road for a little bit, thats worked for me before. The fairy liquid trick also worked but i dont know why its not working for you :/