Shand Skinnymalinky

nweststeyn
nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
edited March 2015 in Your road bikes
Well it's been a fair time coming but today I dropped by the Shand workshop in Livingston and picked up my Skinnymalinky frame from Russell - top bloke. Beautiful handmade steel loveliness made from Reynolds 853 tubing.

So here's a few shots of the build, and I'll keep the thread updates as I make changes. Don't have a final photo yet, went in for tea and then it got too dark for photos. Finished the build now though except for 2 brake inners and need to buy some more silver spacers.

9987369986_a0dc909fd0_z.jpg

^ Beautiful headtube badge, Chris King and my initials on't top tube

9987277254_324770644a_z.jpg

^ Skinnymalinky logo and beautiful seatpost clamp

9987163635_3745ba1fff_z.jpg

^ Athena groupset... Power torque is a **** but i eventually got hold of a 14mm allen key thanks to kind friends.

9987057154_e4fe21ae11_z.jpg

^ I think the work on the fork is rather spiffing.

10000552575_90481fb8d9_z.jpg

^ Brakes fitted.

10000429244_bc5eb3a412_z.jpg

^ Always wanted a Chris King headset.

AND THE FINAL PRODUCT

10000500634_3861782944_c.jpg

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    IT'S HERE!!!!!!

And it's beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished product - bet you're over the moon!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Noice.
  • nweststeyn
    I am indeed. Not riding it tomorrow, but should be up and running very soon. The workmanship is just stunning.

Wheel upgrade next is essential as at the moment I have it built up with my Campag Sciroccos which aren't great.
  • let me just say: WOW
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    LOVE THIS BIKE!
  • Oh yes!

I wanted a Shand CX, but it was slightly out of budget... so I went for the Fugio instead
    left the forum March 2023
  • *wolf whistle* That is lovely.
  • nweststeyn
    10000500634_3861782944_c.jpg

Frame: Shand Skinnymalinky (Reynolds 853 steel handmade in Scotland)
    Forks: Shand Skinnymalinky
    Bars: Ritchey Classic 44cm
    Stem: Ritchey Classic 100mm
    Headset: Chris King
    Bar Tape: Fi'zi:k MicroTex

Front Shifter: Campagnolo Chorus Carbon
    Front Caliper: Campagnolo Athena Skeleton
    Rear Shifter: Campagnolo Chorus Carbon
    Rear Caliper: Campagnolo Athena Skeleton
    Front Mech: Campagnolo Athena 11s
    Rear Mech: Campagnolo Athena 11s

Saddle: Charge Spoon
    Seat Post: Ritchey Classic
    Seat Post Clamp: Integrated

Chainset: Campagnolo Athena 11s 34T/50T
    Chain: KMC Silver
    Cassette: Campagnolo Veloce 12-29
    Pedals: Look Keo
    Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo PowerTorque

Wheels: Campagnolo Scirocco

Bottle Cages: Arundel Stainless Steel

And there we are! Still need to sort out the area around the steerer once I've got the fit correct AND replace that ghastly black spacer (ruins the whole thing!). Only sprinted it down the road and up again so far but first impressions were great.
  • nweststeyn
    And thanks for the wolf whistles and kind comments folks. Makes me feel like a lucky boy.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Oh my goodness me that is bloody beautiful. I could say I'm not jealous but I'd be lying!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • TB 14 on Record hubs? It wants really really shallow rims and 3 cross construction
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    Thats a pretty bike. Fair play for supporting a local builder/business.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • nweststeyn
    TB 14 on Record hubs? It wants really really shallow rims and 3 cross construction

The wheel situation needs sorted pronto as those Sciroccos are pretty awful. It needs something classic and none of this Campag rear spoke pattern nonsense.
  • nweststeyn wrote:
    TB 14 on Record hubs? It wants really really shallow rims and 3 cross construction

The wheel situation needs sorted pronto as those Sciroccos are pretty awful. It needs something classic and none of this Campag rear spoke pattern nonsense.

Yeah, that's why I thought of the TB 14
  • Like these: viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12941175

For the right price, you might even persuade me to part with them. ;) They are destined for the winter bike but if I'm honest they're a bit too nice.
  • nweststeyn
    I would but the rims simply must be silver ;)
  • left the forum March 2023
  • nweststeyn
    Mmmmmm.

I just took it for a mile down the road and back again... First real ride tomorrow. Only slight niggle is the steel cages seem to be rattling a lot without bidons in.
  • Really? I've got those on my Van Nic and once properly tightened they've been perfect. Maybe just a little loose?
  • A true work of art. I hope you have many thousands of pleasurable miles on it
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • nweststeyn
    A true work of art. I hope you have many thousands of pleasurable miles on it

Thanks! I hope I am pleasured for many thousands of miles too :D
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Awesome! Except for that bar tape and saddle - what were you thinking?!
  • nweststeyn
    Well... I've always found Fi'zi:k bar tape lasts well, and despite trying lots of saddles including Ariones, Antares and lots of others and I always go back to the Charge Spoon cheapo. I assume that's what you meant? ;)
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Aslong as you feel comfortable with it, that's all the matters.
  • i lurk, but hardly ever post......but that is a seriously good looking bike.....even better with the campag.....so glad you didn't go shimano or sram......looks brilliant

Dave
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Very nice.
  • Wow, that is gorgeous. Had only been looking on their website the other day as well when looking for frame respray prices.

Is this custom hand built, or handmade to their geometry?

Either way, it's beautiful, wheels sorted and I can't see any reason to change anything looks wise.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Aww man, that is really nice!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • An absolute peach!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • That is possibly the best looking bike I've seen on here. Just go and hang it up above the fire place and admire it like a true work of art. One of the many things I like about Campagnolo is it looks great on modern framed bikes as well as the classic framed.