SRAM shifter

raymond82
raymond82 Posts: 330
edited September 2013 in Workshop
I had some issues shifting with my left shifter, I couldn't shift to the smallest chainring anymore and I had the feeling I was missing a click. I thought I usually heard two clicks when upshifting and now there's only one. I opened up the shifter (nice to see the mechanism, it's actually not that complicated) and I notice that the white part that holds the cable doesn't return to the original position when I shift. This I guess explains why I can't shit to the smallest chainring anymore, any idea what's causing this? And can I repair it?

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    One click on mine to move to lower ring, drops down really quickly, then fully across towards stem back to big ring.
    It has always worked this way from the day I got it, if you are new to SRAM it can take a bit of getting used to it.:)
  • I wasn't too clear, I meant two clicks when shifting up. The loud clack that you usually hear when shifting down is almost missing.
  • diamonddog
    If the lever feels 'floppy' it could just be a tension issue, take it to your LBS or have a look on YouTube for the specific problem you are having if you fancy having a go your self.
    Depending on the age of your shifters there have been some issues with the shifters but this is usually on the right hand one and and it has been sorted on warranty. TBH I think you would be really unlucky for it to be this.
  • I don't think it's a tension issue, I asked in the bike shop (without bringing the bike) and they said there is a possibility that a spring broke. First I'm going to lube the shifter though to see if that has any effect. If not I'll take it to the bike shop.
  • diamonddog
    Hope you get it sorted quickly. :)
  • It's fixed! Can't take too much credit for it, I was ready to take it apart to check the state of the spring and just when I took the whole shifter off the handlebar it started working again. Must have been some dirt or whatever, I had the problem for a while already so I'm glad it's sorted now. Thanks for the input!