Collecting new bike today.......advice needed

daveb99
daveb99 Posts: 273
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm hopefully collecting my Boardman Hybrid Team today.

It's an ex-display model as it's the last one they had, as the 2014 models are shortly coming out.

Can anyone provide me with a few pointers on what to check before I take it away? I know some of the Halfords guys aren't good at setting up bikes so it would be useful to check a few things I guess.

A few things I can think of...

Check the wheels run true, spin freely and check for slack in the hubs
Check headset and BB for slack
Check for marks, scuff etc (again)
Check the gears

Also, should it come with manuals etc? (Any help here from a Boardman owner would be appreciated).

Thanks in advance....
2012 Scott CR1 SL
2013 Dolan Dual
2016 Boardman Pro 29er

Comments

• Check the forks are fitted the right way round
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Based on my experience of buying a bike from Halfords...

Are crank bolts tight
    Are derailleur hanger bolts tight
    Brake mounts
    Brake blocks
    Stem, bars, hubs, spokes...basically every screw that needs to be done up tight needs to be checked!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As above if it from Halfords I would pretty much pretend you were assembling the bike from scratch and check everything is tightened up, adjusted and moves properly. Even to the point of taking some allen keys with you to check again after the test ride.

Also Xdisplay does not mean full of significant dents that make the frame weaker and dangerous to ride ;)
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Check everything.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    A mate has just bought a Boardman hybrid and it was spot on apart from one thing that I found really annoying, the left hand shifter is for a triple but the chainset is a double and however much it's adjusted it won't work well.
  • daveb99
    daveb99 Posts: 273
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'll take my tool box in with me, and tighten everything in front of them!!
    2012 Scott CR1 SL
    2013 Dolan Dual
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
  • "A mate has just bought a Boardman hybrid and it was spot on apart from one thing that I found really annoying, the left hand shifter is for a triple but the chainset is a double and however much it's adjusted it won't work well."

You should check that the left shifter is not of the variety that can switch between double and triple. Some of the shimano shifters do this by means of a small switch with a "2x" and "3x" setting.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Bozman wrote:
    A mate has just bought a Boardman hybrid and it was spot on apart from one thing that I found really annoying, the left hand shifter is for a triple but the chainset is a double and however much it's adjusted it won't work well.

Was it 2nd hand?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}