What does everyone think of this site?

bobgoldman
bobgoldman Posts: 5
edited September 2013 in MTB general
http://mountain-bikes.findthebest.com/

It's a mountain bike comparison tool that brings in data from every major manufacturer- components, geometry, etc.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    first thing all the prices are wrong.

specs are also wrong.

and can not find the makers of any of the bikes i own.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • If it was correct it would just be useless. As it is it's a complete sack of sh1t.
  • I really appreciate you checking out the site. I actually worked on building it. I used to race mountain bikes quite a bit, and was always frustrated that it was hard to compare bikes across manufacturers online. That said, our goal is to have the best information, so if there are specific things that you see that we can fix, please let me know. Also, we are currently only targeting "complete bikes" sold in the US, which is why you might not see some of the bikes you own. Feel free to message me offline as well. Thanks again!
  • The mobile site is unusable. Most options say 'null'
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Looks like the mobile site was having some trouble this morning. Are you still seeing the same issue? Try reloading the page.
  • I don't understand what it's for...

I checked a couple of my bikes, one was in there but I don't know what I'm meant to do once I've found it...
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    2 of my bikes were there. But what does that site do that google doesn't?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bleh.
    I bet they're spamming all sorts of fora as it's trying to compare everything in the world if you go up a level. Jack of all trades....
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    The site is not terrible looking, but I think you have a serious issue with data.

A lot of the specs are patchy and there are lots of big bike brands missing. I don't think wiki style open editing is suitable for this type of site - the factory spec is just that - it's not open to open editing.

If you intend it to be used as a comparison tool, i'd expect to see the ability to filter by specific components. eg to specify SRAM/Shimano, level of the groupset, fork brand/ air or coil, you get the idea.

I don't think people saying it is sh1t is very helpful, also I'm pretty sure it's not intended for people to look up their own bike, as I would imagine everyone knows exactly what is on their own bike.

I like the fact you can see the other models in a range. I don't like the fact it is all in USD and you talk about bike weight in pounds - 95% of the World has no idea what a pound is.
  • I want to compare Giant Trance SX, Nukeproof Mega TR and Kona Process 134.
    Can't find any of them.
  • @cooldad - definitely not trying to spam forums to get traffic. we do about 30 million visits a month, so the 100 views that this post gets, doesn't do much. really trying to find knowledgable people that can provide feedback and help us make the site better and more useful for you all.

@welshkev - we focus on data driven product discovery. so rather than look up your current bike, you would find other bikes that fit the criteria that you are interested in. For example, a 29inch full suspension trail bike with a carbon frame. That type of search is tough to do on google. That said, we are focused on the US market right now so that we can get it right and then expand out internationally.

@Idave - thank you so much for the thoughtful response. We get data directly from manufacturers when we can, but a lot of them don't have the technology to deliver the data to us in a format that works. In those cases we rely on our users to help us populate the information. Agreed..for some products, data isn't totally complete, but over time we will improve (similar to wikipedia). I added two Groupset filters at the bottom of the page. One is a radio button (Shimano vs. Sram) the other is a text search- so you can search XTR for example. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How will it work if the same model (by name) has different spec's for different markets.....

Why not have a 'metric/imperial' toggle so people can at least look at physical stats in a unit they understand, I know pounds but all my bike weight knowledge is in Kg, most the weight weenie sites use grams even in the US.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The United States is now the only developed country to have not gone metric. Even Australia have gone metric.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The United States is an under developed country yet to go metric.
    FTFY
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sorry, gave up. There are so many 'mainstream' models missing as to make it pointless. Having a model that requires users to update the site to make it work is flawed.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Maybe it does need more mainsteam bikes on there, I dunno, but from the (very) brief look I had, the website itself was easy to use/understand and I can see a practical use for it - if I was on the search for a new bike.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie wrote:
    The United States is an under developed country yet to go metric.
    FTFY

I was trying to be polite.