Geneva to Nice: request for accom info.

biped
biped Posts: 25
edited September 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi folks.

Mrs B and I are riding Geneva to Nice via the main big cols in early September, touring in a credit card and 1 spare pair of pants between us style.

I know some of the areas we pass through well, others not so, but have always camped in the past. So lets hear about your favourite inexpensive places to sleep and eat along the way.

Many thanks in advance :)

B

Comments

• SFT
    SFT Posts: 156
    How many days do you plan to take? What towns to you plan to stop in?

Le Monal hotel in Ste Foy is great value, and we have stayed in the Hotel la poste in Valloire is good as well.

cheers
    Simon
  • biped
    Hi, thanks for the suggestions.

We will be riding Thonon-Bonneville-La Clusasz-Bourg-St Michel de Maurienne-Valloire-Briancon-Guillestre-Jausiers (with a possible detour to Barcelonette)- Isola and to Nice.

We've got 16 days to play with so we plan 3 or 4 rest days. Beyond that we have no cast in stone schedule.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Stayed here... https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8 ... CD8Q_BIwAA
    at the end of Cherbourg to Nice in June of this year...excellent base for Nice and very reasonable, too.
    Safe lockup in basement for bikes, too...
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • daviegb
    daviegb Posts: 126
    Would you consider staying at St Jean de Maurienne instead of St Michel de Maurienne? I spent a week in the Hotel St Georges & it was a great base. It's family owned & Martine is a fabulous hostess - she goes out of her way to make you feel welcome & the hotel is set up for cyclists with secure bike storage on site. If you decide to stay here, say hello from Gavin!

I have also stayed in Barcelonnette - at Hotel de la Placette. It has secure bike storage just around the corner & is a 'typical' skiing hotel. Fairly small rooms, but perfectly acceptable. It has the advantage of being the perfect stop off before a climb of La Bonette, with plenty of food options.

Your route looks amazing - have a great trip!

Gavin
  • biped
    Some great suggestions, keep them coming.

Gavin, St Jean is a wee bit out of the way for us, we'll be turning south over the Telegraphe and Galibier. I do know St Jean however, we stayed for a week at Camping des Grande Cols last year, brilliant place.

Many thanks all.
  • biped
    To follow up, we just got back yesterday and had a brilliant trip, and it is a bit of a shock to go from a sunny beach in Nice to freezing Edinburgh in a few hours.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We did stay at Le Monal in Ste Foy, and got the whole top floor suite at a knock down rate with awesome panoramic views from the terrace. We discovered some other superb and reasonably priced places to stay (and a couple to avoid) so if anyone is heading that way, feel free to ask.

Thanks again, now it's back to the road atlas to plan the next one...
  • Well done -- didn't see the post before you went -- you could have stayed at my place www.Chez-Ray.com -- Put me on your map for next time-- loads of routes round here . Ray
    Come and visit--- HAPPINESS is riding in the sunshine.

http://chez-ray.vpweb.co.uk/