Bullhorn bars on hybrid

CJPJ
CJPJ Posts: 7
edited September 2013 in Commuting general
I'm am hoping to fit a Charge Slice bullhorn bar to my Trek 7.2 FX and was wondering if any one had any experience of this. I understand that fitting the gears/brakes might be a challenge.

My alternative solution is to fit a shorter flat bar, putting bar ends on and then taping the whole lot up to give the appearance of a bullhorn bar. Again, anyone have any experience of this?

The reason I want skinnier bars is for partly for commuting, partly for looks and partly to give a steering feel like a road bike. The bar end / bullhorn extension will be more comfortable particularly for climbing.

Thanks for any thoughts.

CJ.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It is doable, brakes are easy as you mount them with the clamp at the tip, shifters will be a bigger issue though, wherever you put them you'll probably have to move your hands to operate them, a split clamp shifter on the flat section would probably be my favoured option at the moment, though you could look at a twist shift slid down the horns to the bend perhaps?

Not sure what hills you climb on your commute that would need bar ends, most MTBs have gone away from them as modern gearing means you climb more efficiently by sitting and spinning anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.