Help. My bike is barking at me!

Camcycle1974
Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
So, I have a new Ribble R872. Initially all was fine but on the 2nd ride a strange humming sound started coming from somewhere. The noise is quite loud, almost like a small dog barking! Oddly the noise is reduced (not eliminated though) when pedaling. I have taken the seat post out and rolled along and the noise is still there. It sounds like the noise is coming from the BB area (its BB 30) somewhere and being amplified by the frame.Any ideas on how I can make this noise stop, I am doing 150 miles on Sunday and don't want to be barked at the whole way round :D

Comments

• broona
    broona Posts: 414
    Sounds like you need to re-grease the BB, common problem as the BB30 isn't sealed - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... ets-29544/
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would also check the freehub if the BB is not the culprit. If the noise goes away when pedalling then it is a classic symptom of a dodgy freehub which may need regreasing or replacing. Easily identified by swapping the back wheel if you have a spare.

The fact that the noise 'seems' to be coming from the BB could be a red herring as sound can resonate across the frame.
  • Thanks fellas. Taking it to my local shop this morning to try and get it sorted. Hope the freehub is not the culprit as it's a virtually brand new hand built wheel. Sounds like maybe the BB hasn't been properly installed/greased. Something I can't do myself as I don't have the tools. Should have thought of swapping the wheels, thanks for reminding me!